Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why did you pick Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Dad Charlton fan - first took me 1976 - there was never going to be a chance that I would support anyone else but Charlton
  • Options
    My four elder brothers and my Dad told me too.  My daughters are the same, they made their minds up at 3 months old.

Brian Kinsey and Phil Amato took us for football at secondary school so that sealed it.

• Options
    My four elder brothers and my Dad told me too.  My daughters are the same, they made their minds up at 3 months old.

Brian Kinsey and Phil Amato took us for football at secondary school so that sealed it.

I know it dates me but Gordon Jago took our class for football training when I was at Charlton Secondary school
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Dad came over from Bantry Bay in early 50’s, lived in digs, met my mum ... married, rented a couple of rooms in Victoria Way Charlton ... I came along a couple of years later ... taken to the Valley before my 5th birthday ... no money in the family so didn’t go often ... moved to Cherry Orchard Estate Charlton when I was 10 ... met a few kids my age also into Charlton ... within a couple of years we were all going without our parents to the open South terrace ... loved watching the Covered End from afar ... by the next season, we were there 😀
    Do you visit your Dads homeplace?
    Call in for a cuppa if you do, we’re in Baltimore, not that far away 👍🏼
    Not been for a long time but will bear in mind your kind offer  :D
  • Options
    I lived in Beckenham and it was the easiest football ground to get to as a kid.  Selhurst Park was closer but you had to get 2 buses.  To get to Charlton I only needed to get the 54 from the top of my road, so whilst it was a bit longer it was easier.  Weird that we ended up at Selhurst in the end anyway so had to do that journey regardless.
  • Options
    I was born in Eltham , my friends elder brother took me to the valley when I was 9 in 1963 . I also used to go to Upton Park and Highbury when charlton played away when I was about 12. But I was an Addick through and through. So I’ve been going 57 years now . My friend and his brother stopped going years ago. 
  • Options
    Born in Woolwich, lived in Meridian Road with maternal grand parents then Harold Gibbons Court, Victoria Way. Dad was a Millwall supporter but took me to Charlton as it was closer. First game I can remember was a 4-0 defeat to Blackpool who had Mudie and Matthews playing for them. John Hewie and Stuart Leary stood out in my memory, the former for regularly booting the ball into touch the latter for his reading of the game.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Don't get me started.
    Go on, you know you want too.  ;)  
  • Options
    My dad emigrated from the Republic of Ireland in 1947 and being a keen football fan and a decent footballer himself, he adopted his local team, which happened to be Charlton.  He took me to my first game in 1967 and that was that!  
    Apart from that, I loved my dad dearly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    My dad took me to both charlton and scumwall so I did have a sort of choice!!!
    So it was a choice of following  a knob club with knob fans  or following a club run by total knobs!! What a choice
    But as it turned out it was a good choice as I ended up working just across the road from the valley for 17 years!!!

• Options
    I can't remember what year it was but palarse were playing Charlton at shithurst so went with a couple of mates (up until then supported Arsenal) and said whoever wins I'll support. 

Charlton lost the game but the herberts smashed up the shops and that was that.

Charlton were my team.   :D
  • Options
    One of the litte known consequences of World War Two. My Dad an Irishman who was in the Royal Artillery, and my Mum who was in the ATS, met when stationed in Woolwich.  Lived in Charlton Road and now both lying in Charlton Cemetery.  Charlton picked us. 
  • Options
    My uncle used to go in the 50s with Colin Cameron. Then he took my older brothers to a few games in the mid 60s. They in turn took me to my first game in 1975 and it was on MOTD.
  • Options
    My dad's dad moved to Eltham from Egypt in 1924 aged 4 I think. He must have gone with his dad (my great granddad). We have all supported Charlton ever since. 

My dad took my brother and I to Selhurst in 1989, and to witness the derelict Valley, and subsequent redevelopment. 

Now my stepson, daughter (5th generation) both my brothers, my cousin, and my dad all support Charlton.

Really I had no choice. 
  • Options
    Grew up in Harvey gardens, was always in the valley helping out as a kid in the late 70’s. Always say it’s the only choice I will not allow my 5 year old son to make, he will be a Charlton fan!! 😂. So far when asked who he supports he says Charlton,which puts a big smile on my face.
  • Options
    My grandad, who has supported them since 1942 when he was a young boy, took me to my first game in October 1996 and I've been hooked ever since. We still go together now, and will be back once Covid-19 is no longer a threat. 
  • Options
    Straightforward for me. My dad was born and grew up in McCall Crescent Charlton. I was born in Eltham, Charlton through and through. My first game at the Valley aged 7 in February 1964, lost 1.0 to Portsmouth. I was hooked. I pity people who support Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc: what a bland life they must have!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aged 40 (55 next month) I went to my first football match and was blown away (not Charlton!) caught football like religion, worked with a whole bunch of Addicks and was really impressed by their enthusiasm & the community involvement. Myself and a mate (who knows way more about footy than I) brought a season and that was that. Felt a bit like a self arranged marriage and the love grew & deepened. Can’t imagine a life without Charlton now - met some great people along the way too.
  • Options
    Grandad - dad and all his mates supported Charlton, went in 73 and loved it.
    Ive been lucky enough to see some absolutely brilliant games but the  best so far is seeing us win at Wembley in the last minute, what a day, no matter what happens to our club, I saw us win at Wembley, that’ll do.
    COYRsssssss.

• Options
    Went to my first game when I was 4 in 2004 when we won 4-0 against Norwich and Johansson scored 2. I also used to love the Charlton Challenge and the community trust work from even before that.

combination of the two things! My Dad supports Newcastle and was more into rugby so had no intention of following that! 
    Even in hard times I’m still so glad I support a local club and not some massive club that I never get to go to
  • Options
    3rd generation. My Dad started taking me in 1992, and his Dad started taking him during the 60s.
  • Options
    My Dad’s family is from Woolwich/Greenwich and my Mum’s from Blackheath.
    My parents emigrated to Germany in 1964 when I was 2, so I didn’t see or hear about London footie until I was about 7 or 8 when my uncle who lived in Woolwich took me to see a match at The Valley. It must have been over the Xmas holiday period as that was only time we were in the UK. It was a dull and dreary day and the floodlights were already on as we come up and over the East Terrace. That was me hooked: the vibrant green of the grass, the bright floodlights and the singing from the Covered End! 
    I didn’t get to see another match until 1976 when I was sent to boarding school in Blackheath. The school required every boarder to have a legal guardian and my parents chose my uncle, a lifelong Addick. From 1976 until we left the Addick I went to every home game!
  • Options
    Born in Catford , parents not interested in football, but my uncle took me and my older brother  to Charlton and Millwall every other week,
    my older brother chose the wrong option.
  • Options
    why why why why why........
  • Options
    Lived on Woolwich Road in Charlton when I was a kid after moving from North London. Dad took me to first game in '68. Theoretically could have been Spurs or Arsenal fan if we had not moved. 
  • Options
    Just so that I could read the shenanigans thread.