Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Captain Sir Tom Life Stories

2»

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I agree about this being the tip of the iceberg they seem to be shameless grifters such a shame considering the honourable bloodline from the man himself. Same type of people as Mouthall etc
    100% - Surprised they put their head above water and done the interview. Personally, can’t see anyone changing their opinion on them whatever they said. 

The fact they shoved the 14 year old son on camera is embarrassing. Don’t ruin the sons life because you are a shameless grifter. 
    They/she pushed her dad put the front door on his zimmer.

Insisted that he used the title Captain despite retiring from the army about 70 years ago.

Flew a 100 year old bloke half way round the world, who hadn't been vaccinated, during the biggest global pendamic in 100 years.

Involved the two emotional national pillars of WW2 and the NHS to run the biggest grift in British history.

And your shocked they sold the 14 up the river?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The daughter is 14, the son 19.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Not a surprise. I mentioned on a previous thread about Sir Tom that one of my clients, the Treasury Director at one of the Big 4 accountancy firms lived in the same village. He told us at the time that the whole village were so sorry for Tom. The daughter had set up this huge “PR Machine” around him and it was well known locally that she was grifting and only in it for whatever she could get.  Such a shame given what her father did.
    I hadn't realised Sir Tom had another daughter as well - who very wisely has had nothing to do with it all interestingly.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    I agree about this being the tip of the iceberg they seem to be shameless grifters such a shame considering the honourable bloodline from the man himself. Same type of people as Mouthall etc
    100% - Surprised they put their head above water and done the interview. Personally, can’t see anyone changing their opinion on them whatever they said. 

The fact they shoved the 14 year old son on camera is embarrassing. Don’t ruin the sons life because you are a shameless grifter. 
    They/she pushed her dad put the front door on his zimmer.

Insisted that he used the title Captain despite retiring from the army about 70 years ago.

Flew a 100 year old bloke half way round the world, who hadn't been vaccinated, during the biggest global pendamic in 100 years.

Involved the two emotional national pillars of WW2 and the NHS to run the biggest grift in British history.

And your shocked they sold the 14 up the river?
    That bit always bugged me as a pedant. He never had the title Captain as he was an army Captain and you can’t keep your rank below Major after retirement from the army. Different for a navel Captain that is three ranks higher.
    There is a quote form him somewhere, I honestly can't remember where, and it was played down, at the time, for him being too modest.  

He didn't want to do it be she convinced him it was for the "greater good".

There are loads of "tit bits" if you go back.  It all stinks.
  • Options
    Just watched the interview. -

- Thought it srange how their children were present, especially their 14 year old daughter. Which suggests that maybe this was a bit if a hatchet job by Morgan, and they thought they were there just to reflect of Captain Tom and his achievements.
    - They both seem to think that we are all put on this earth to earn as much materialistic wealth as possible and don't seem to grasp the concept / romance of charity without making a few quid for yourself. 
    - Most of what she said come over as just noise and gobbledegook to me. He chipped in when she'd bought him enough time to think of a (in their heads) a reasonable answer.

"In hindset", to quote her, she should've been happy with their obvious existing wealth (no problem with that) and not been so greedy.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    There is a very small part of me that felt sorry for them. Thrown hard into the limelight in an instant and trying to create a legacy for your Dad cannot be an easy thing to do in the full spotlight with people keen to find fault and blame in everything.
    I am not sure of the hate that went their way for the holiday to Barbados. Sir Tom was old enough to make his own decision on that one.
    But then they stick a huge jacuzzi in their new building and take £500K profit out of books which refer to raising money for the charity and seemingly they see no shame in this and use their kids as shields.  Dreadfully poor behaviour.  What unpleasant people. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    There is a very small part of me that felt sorry for them. Thrown hard into the limelight in an instant and trying to create a legacy for your Dad cannot be an easy thing to do in the full spotlight with people keen to find fault and blame in everything.
    I am not sure of the hate that went their way for the holiday to Barbados. Sir Tom was old enough to make his own decision on that one.
    But then they stick a huge jacuzzi in their new building and take £500K profit out of books which refer to raising money for the charity and seemingly they see no shame in this and use their kids as shields.  Dreadfully poor behaviour.  What unpleasant people. 
    The daughter created the limelight by contacting the local press.

I don't agree that a 99 year old is best placed to be making decisions about travelling abroad in a pandemic.
  • Options
    ...trying to create a legacy for your Dad cannot be an easy thing... 
    That's because you can't create a legacy for someone else. Everyone creates their own legacy.
  • Options
    The family of Capt Sir Tom Moore have lost a planning application appeal against the demolition of an unauthorised home spa in their garden.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67342506
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Perhaps they could offer the villagers a nice jolly and supply sledgehammers and a skip or two, to get back in with the locals. ;)
  • Options
    C5 have a programme on Sunday evening....Captain Tom, Where did the money go? (9pm).

• Options
    C5 have a programme on Sunday evening....Captain Tom, Where did the money go? (9pm).

Short programme is it?  I mean, I think we know....
  • Options

"During the hearing, representatives for the family said the building would enable the public to enjoy the army veteran's work and the spa pool would offer rehabilitation sessions.

The rest of the building would be used for coffee mornings and charity meetings to combat elderly loneliness."

Yes i'm sure it definitely wasn't going to be used just for their own personal use.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023

"During the hearing, representatives for the family said the building would enable the public to enjoy the army veteran's work and the spa pool would offer rehabilitation sessions between 11am and 11.05am every fourth Wednesday.

The rest of the building would be used for private coffee mornings from their expensive new coffee machine, and private charity meetings to combat elderly loneliness."

• Options

Watched it last night, found it a bit disappointing. Didn't really reveal anything that hasn't been reported already.
  • Options

Watched it last night, found it a bit disappointing. Didn't really reveal anything that hasn't been reported already.
    Dozed off half way through it.
  • Options

Well it didn't finish till 10.30, past your bed time was it...😉
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Typical C5 'documentary' - padded to get lots of advert breaks in ! They quite literally tell you at the end of each segment what they are going to tell you / show you in the next segment.

The only thing I learnt was a payment of £18k for an 'appearance fee' which I hadn't heard before. It did (to me) beg the question why the organization paying the fee didn't pay directly to the charity / foundation as I might have assumed they would but perhaps I am naïve to think that would be normal.
  • Options

Well it didn't finish till 10.30, past your bed time was it...😉
    Fortunately woke up in time for MOTD2.
  • Options
    Didn’t learn anything new the husband and wife are the worst sort of grifters 

How did they get away with the Barbados trip, I know old Tom was 100 but sticking him on a disease riddled plane from cold country to hot and back to cold again probably didn’t help the pneumonia 

Look forward to the drone footage of the spa being smashed up 
  • Options
    At least we did learn that the money raised by Sir Tom's walk did go to NHS charities.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    At least we did learn that the money raised by Sir Tom's walk did go to NHS charities.
    Exactly. The insinuation all along has been that the family somehow had their noses in the trough of the millions raised and spent it on themselves. But having watched the doc that clearly isn't the case and it left me feeling that they haven't really done a great deal wrong - at least certainty not as much as the public perception.

They kept the book money for themselves, but then it was his book about his life. The only thing I could see wrong there were a couple of ambiguous statements on the cover/forward saying that the book would "help support good causes" or some such, which was a bit iffy.

Then there was the £18k "appearance fee" the daughter got when she was clearly conflicted which, at best, you could say was a misjudgement (if you were feeling charitable).

Then there was the outbuilding/museum/spa. What I hadn't realised was that they'd done this with their own money and the only thing dodgy about it seemed to be that they'd put the name of the Foundation on the application and were now saying it could potentially be used for some sort of charitable purpose, which sounded like bollocks. But they hadn't used the Foundation's money as far as I could tell - otherwise they would've said - so not as bad as we'd been led to believe.

Happy to be corrected if I missed anything, but if the above is the some total of the allegations against them then I don't see what all the fuss has been about. But then again I suppose the press have always loved building something up only to then knock it down again.

Edit: Oh yes, the trip to Barbados. I hadn't realised that they'd been offered free flights and accommodation and that it was on his bucket list as a place he'd always wanted to go. Jeez, I mean if someone offered you and your whole family a free trip there who wouldn't take it?