Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On this day in 1997, the Addicks beat @officialbantams 4-1 in a Curbishley-era classic at The Vall

Comments

• Options
    Chris Kamara managed Bradford ..  Beagrie was sent off for dancing over to Robinson and slapping him in the face, one of the strangest dismissals I have seen .. bargain 700 grand Mendonca, the best money CAFC ever spent .. nice to see dapper Les Reed in the dugout with Curbishley .. Eddie Youds had a nightmare, I was very surprised when Curbs signed him, turns out he was a bargain and he and Rufus were rock solid in the middle of our defence.. great performance but a very different team did the biz at Wembley
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    And featuring a certain Sheffield Utd manager at right back for Bradford. 
  • Options
    Mortimer's goal was like so many of his (not quite up there with Norwich but not far off), Brownie's goal was typical Brownie, and Mendonca was simply class. 

ps would love to see a compendium of Mortimer's goals - so many good ones (This one, Norwich and Chelsea at Selhurst stick in my mind but I'm sure there are loads more...)
    Everton away in a night game 
  • Options
    All our best games were 4:3
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    My first game of the season that year

Got free tickets from doing one of the Soccer Schools over the summer holidays - One of the games that enabled me to go to the Play-Off Final as well, as remember you needing to have about seven or eight ticket stubs to be able to qualify for one phase of sales 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    This one was good too.  Love. Stevie Brown worldie, although I favour the half volley against Wolves 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mortimer's goal was like so many of his (not quite up there with Norwich but not far off), Brownie's goal was typical Brownie, and Mendonca was simply class. 

ps would love to see a compendium of Mortimer's goals - so many good ones (This one, Norwich and Chelsea at Selhurst stick in my mind but I'm sure there are loads more...)
    Remember a beauty against wolves as well
  • Options
    Watching the video through had me drooling.

Whatever our mate @oohaahmortimer plans to do with his bowl of custard, it was pure joy to see his hero Morts waltz his way through that Bradford defence. Truly sublime.

Steve Brown with his own 'assist' in winning his defensive header that sheer desire made him win - and then slamming home from 35 yards.

The constant tenacity of Robinson, then picking out Mendonca every time ..... SuperClive so calm, composed and clinical. 
    And what a season it turned out to be!

Cheers, @ross1. That was a real treat.

• Options
    Great days , think it was an earlyish Sunday live game and friends had a box in the East Stand for that game so I was 3 pints in and smashed to bits by HT .
    Pure silk from Morts aaaaaaah a player who was prepared to stick his cock in the custard and he never failed to make me cream 
    @oohaahmortimer ...... it's not often I want to 'like' and 'lol' a post at the same time.
    Thanks for the mind picture. You get the 'lol' :smile:

• Options
    ooh happy days.
  • Options
    Morts on his day was absolutely mesmerising.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Great memories, VFR sang at a proper speed as well, Mendonca, Mortimer, Robinson & Stevie Brown, just 4 names that I would love to see play one more time in an addicks shirt. 
    Kins as well.

I do believe we're talking Legends here.

• Options
    Didn't realise Balmer was still playing back then.
  • Options
    Yep, he was one of the suits in the pile on at Wembley
  • Options
    I just checked the attandance as it looked pretty full. 11,583. Looked more but of course there were no upper stands. That was a great period in our history, probably some of the most enjoyable games and some real characters and very good players in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    This one was good too.  Love. Stevie Brown worldie, although I favour the half volley against Wolves 
    That’s what I said
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Yep, he was one of the suits in the pile on at Wembley
    And he was on he bench for three games in Premiership (away Arsenal, away Man Utd and home to Derby) but unfortunately didn't get on - that always disappointed me...
  • Options
    I just checked the attandance as it looked pretty full. 11,583. Looked more but of course there were no upper stands. That was a great period in our history, probably some of the most enjoyable games and some real characters and very good players in the team.
    wasn't the West Stand still a pretty temporary structure (hence the TV gantry was that side)
  • Options
    And to think that 12 years to the day before that game, we thought we’d seen the last ever match at The Valley.
  • Options
    Great memories, thanks for posting @ross1

I'm so glad that I grew up worshipping those players and I remember being at the game thinking 'no one else in football has scored a further out goal than Steve Browns' aahhhh to be young again and blissfully unaware. 
  • Options
    23 years ago unbelievable, what great memories. 
    Morts was a class act, just glided across the pitch. 
    As people have said so many classic goals, This one, Chelsea at Selhurst  Arsenal At Highbury but for me it’s either the goal at Norwich or Man City. I had the pleasure to see all 5 live. 
    How we could do with someone of his class at the moment. 
  • Options
    I had to look for the Everton goal, I remember that one now. I seem to recall the game was rearranged for a Monday night at very short notice. I seem to recall I had a 24 hour bug that allowed me to attend😁
  • Options
    Just imagine some of the Duchatelet era classics we will be tweeting in 10 years time!
  • Options
    One more Mortimer goal to add away to Leeds. Proper players, proper celebration from Steve Brown as well. We destroyed most teams at the Valley that year- Forest, Boro, WBA and Bradford.
  • Options
    Morts would sprint towards the box with the ball, any chance he got. 
    We would get a goal/pen/FK from his efforts. 
    He had a determination to get to the target - and we don’t do that enough in recent seasons. 
    Lately, when a space opens up in front of our midfielder in possession - the instinct is to
    play it wide or backwards (infuriates me). 
    Footy is about “space on the pitch”. 
    Taylor was good at creating space for others - that’s why Karlan and Bonne got goals. 
    Big Carlo could do it too, by moving position and taking defenders with him, but you need confident team mates to use the space andgo for the target. Kim Grant and Paul Williams could do this, but Morts was the master.