Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Professional Membership Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Why does this major client expect you to me a member of something that you obviously think is not necessary? Can you imagine that in real life:

"No you can't come into my pub unless you are a member of CAMRA, as you clearly will not be able to fully appreciate the taste of my beer without it..."

He either thinks you can do the job, or he doesn't, you spending an extra 50 quid or whatever a year makes no difference to what you do, does it? What planet do these people live on?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Why does this major client expect you to me a member of something that you obviously think is not necessary? Can you imagine that in real life:

"No you can't come into my pub unless you are a member of CAMRA, as you clearly will not be able to fully appreciate the taste of my beer without it..."

He either thinks you can do the job, or he doesn't, you spending an extra 50 quid or whatever a year makes no difference to what you do, does it? What planet do these people live on?

I agree and it's £325 plus vat. Not a lot compared to what I earn from them so the cost/benefit analysis is OK. They see it as quality control but I have no more or less knowledge, skills and experience than before I filled out the application and handed over the cheque. To do the assessments I do for them I need to be registered assessor and do loads of CPD and update training, get good feedback scores etc, etc but now they've asked for membership of this institute as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother and I never use the letters on letter heads or business cards but it's a game I have to play.
  • Options
    Thats why I moved mate! Somewhere I bet your client has a connection with the organisation, where he or one of his relatives will benefit along the way.

"Quality control" my arse, I bet you the IBC never, ever turned away anyones 325 quid in their lives!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Thats why I moved mate! Somewhere I bet your client has a connection with the organisation, where he or one of his relatives will benefit along the way.

"Quality control" my arse, I bet you the IBC never, ever turned away anyones 325 quid in their lives!

Now I'm a member of that fine institute I should be offended : - ) but i'm not. Don't think it is a nepotism thing (it's a big QUANGO client) but I would be amazed if anyone got turned away.
  • Options
    Make a stand against it then. Be the one who bucks the trend.

Don't be a sheep, be a leader
  • Options
    In that case how scary that someone like that has so much control over other peoples livelyhood!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Make a stand against it then. Be the one who bucks the trend.

Don't be a sheep, be a leader

£15k I got off them last year. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
  • Options
    Jesus?! Where do I sign up?

OINK OINK
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Jesus?! Where do I sign up?

OINK OINK

Sod off, Not letting you near my trough : - )
  • Options
    I got offered a ob - which i accepted, i was then asked what qualifications i had as they wanted to put them on my business card!
    It wasn't optional so i told them i wouldnt be joining! how pretentious is having your qualifications after your name?

and yes i do have some!!