Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football At Risk Of Collapse!

edited September 2020 in General Charlton

Football is now at risk of "the collapse of the national league structure that we have known for over 100 years", the government has been warned.

A group of prominent figures has written a joint letter urging ministers to help with a coronavirus crisis rescue package.

Signatories include former Football Association chairmen Greg Dyke and Lord Triesman, Sunderland shareholder Charlie Methven and broadcaster Robbie Savage.

They say many EFL and National League clubs are now preparing to "cease playing... and put their business into administration".

"We would ask that the government now make clear what financial support it's prepared to give before it is too late," the group writes.

"In order for clubs to sustain themselves over the winter and keep playing, they would need to be compensated for the loss of match ticket sales.

"There is still time to act, but not long left."

Sports have been told to prepare for several more months without gate receipts after plans for some fans to return to grounds from 1 October were scrapped last week because of the rising number of coronavirus cases.

EFL chairman Rick Parry told BBC Radio 5 Live on Saturday that some clubs "are on the brink".

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told the BBC on Sunday he was "hopeful" the Premier League would confirm it would help lower-league clubs this week.

But it is now unlikely a rescue package will be agreed this week.

A meeting of the top-flight clubs will take place on Tuesday, but Premier League sources have suggested such a timeframe is unrealistic.

Officials are waiting for further details from the EFL of what money is needed and why.

The government has been told it cannot rely on the top flight, and must also provide emergency funding to cover clubs' loss of matchday revenue.

"The absence of this income is not a result of their actions, but the policies that have been put in place by the government," the group writes.

"It cannot be the Premier League's sole responsibility to sort out issues arising from government policy.

"The government itself needs to take responsibility or many already embattled towns - often in areas of the country which have suffered many hardships in recent decades - will lose their last focal point."

Sent to both Dowden and the Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston, the letter is also endorsed by chair of the Football Supporters' Association Malcolm Clarke, Damian Collins - former chairman of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee - and a number of other MPs.

"Without any plans being made to rescue football clubs, many in the EFL and others in the National League as well, are now actively preparing to make all but essential staff redundant, cease playing, close down their youth academies and community foundations, and put their business into administration," Dowden and Huddleston are told.

"This could lead not only to the failure of many historic community clubs, but the collapse of the national league structure that we have known for over 100 years."

"These are decisions that will be made in the coming weeks, with many clubs unable to meet their payroll obligations for next month."

The group refers to the £1.5bn bailout that the government gave to arts and cultural organisations in July.

"We believe that football, like other well-loved professional sports in this country, is also a cultural activity," the signatories add.

Comments

• Options
    The thing is, we're in a good position now, and can rid this out 
  • Options
    @AndyG Can you post the link to the original article please?
  • Options
    1.5bn gov bailout to arts and culture is a good point.
  • Options
    It is a difficult situation really. There are clubs that are going to need assistance and others that can ride it out. But how do you judge it if you are going to be handing out money ?
  • Options
    my understanding is that officials in DCMS had worked on a package with treasury, which effectively covered the lost gate receipts in the League, then ministers saw it as an opportunity to have another pop at the Premier League, and trying to milk it for the money. Dowden is a fucking idiot, should have given the League the money with a load of strings for reform. 
  • Options
    Premier League will, i hope, help out. If they don't then they could lose a lot of neutral fans.
    Betting companies and other big sponsors won't be happy with that scenario. 
  • Options
    Charlton should be fine now, so who cares really
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Problem is the £600k / £300k weekly payments to players - average of £60k pw in PL ? - not a good look, the industry should sort itself out - some good may come of it.
  • Options
    Premier League will, i hope, help out. If they don't then they could lose a lot of neutral fans.
    There'll be a load of conditions attached to premier league help though.

I'm sure I saw something the other day about one of them being the championship agreeing to a wage cap - widening the gap between the PL and EFL
  • Options
    I expect Gordon Taylor to come forward and announce that all PL players will take a 10-20% pay cut this season which will be used to directly support lower league clubs

Yeah right...
  • Options
    I expect Gordon Taylor to come forward and announce that all PL players will take a 10-20% pay cut this season which will be used to directly support lower league clubs

Yeah right...
    Cant see Ozil agreeing with that mate !
  • Options
    Problem is the £600k / £300k weekly payments to players - average of £60k pw in PL ? - not a good look, the industry should sort itself out - some good may come of it.
    I agree mate. Some money should be there from the gov if they can give 1.5bn to arts. However football itself should be able to cope on its own with help from the PL, FA and gov.

• Options
    Do we have any idea what EFL clubs are on the brink ?
  • Options

I'm sure I saw something the other day about one of them being the championship agreeing to a wage cap - widening the gap between the PL and EFL
    If true, and clubs are selfish whilst other clubs go out of business, I can assure you I will no longer watch PL or England games. I will cancel any sport subscriptions that sponsor them also.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If true, and clubs are selfish whilst other clubs go out of business, I can assure you I will no longer watch PL or England games. I will cancel any sport subscriptions that sponsor them also.
    I stopped Sky Sports a few years ago. Feeding the PL greed to exclusion of all others. Not in my name.
  • Options
    Do we have any idea what EFL clubs are on the brink ?
    No but I'm sure alot are. However how do you measure the requirement in terms of assistance ? some EFL clubs have recently sold players for big money such as Brum and Brentford so should be ok you would presume. I dont think a blanket payment system is the answer. That was one of the issues with the Governments Grants to businesses at the start of Covid, every company in the Country claimed a grant to see them through and it cost billions. As it turned out there are alot of companies ( mine included ) that actually didnt need it. How you access a requirement at football club is going to be very difficult I would imagine
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    se9addick said:
    Charlton should be fine now, so who cares really
    What i dumb thing to say just show what idiot some of our fans are 
  • Options
    Perhaps they could very quickly bring in a sort of means testing for each EFL club. That way money will go to those who need it and not to those that currently don't?
  • Options
    With little income coming in, unless they have a rich owner I don't see how most non PL clubs can continue without some sort of a bailout. That includes the professional NL sides too and even many of the NLS and NLN ones.
  • Options

I stopped Sky Sports a few years ago. Feeding the PL greed to exclusion of all others. Not in my name.
    Well I'm maybe a hypocrit i dunno but I do watch PL still. I have IPTV so get all the sky and BT sports channels for about £6 a month.
     Illegal yes, but I won't ever be paying sky, BT,amazon or any others in the future. 
  • Options
    Silly remark , no point if you don’t have clubs to play.