Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football At Risk Of Collapse!

Comments

• Options
    It was obvious @se9addick was joking surely?

No real football fan would want any club to go under, I wouldn’t even wish that on Millwall. 
    I'd make an exception with palice.
  • Options
    I’m not sure that it’s that important to me anymore.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Football is broken. Premier League should not have the power to decide whether and how much they might help. Used to launder crooked money for years.
  • Options
    The Premier League is losing £700m in matchday receipts alone, and if you're not funded by a petrostate or oligarch, you're going to be having to cut the cloth accordingly. Someone like Tony Bloom at Brighton is probably having to write massive cheques for the club to stand still for a year. Yes some clubs in the Premier League are rich, the majority aren't and run to their revenue, and that revenue is being hit. 

Should the Premier league distribute some more TV money down, yep, should Government not try and wash their hands of the problem, yep  
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The Premier League is losing £700m in matchday receipts alone, and if you're not funded by a petrostate or oligarch, you're going to be having to cut the cloth accordingly. Someone like Tony Bloom at Brighton is probably having to write massive cheques for the club to stand still for a year. Yes some clubs in the Premier League are rich, the majority aren't and run to their revenue, and that revenue is being hit. 

Should the Premier league distribute some more TV money down, yep, should Government not try and wash their hands of the problem, yep  
    Fair enough to a point, but how much are these "non-rich" clubs playing their players every week? Has that gone up or down since the global pandemic and deepest recession ever kicked in?

In the real world people are having to make do with reduced pay, but what has football done? Maybe everyone has taken a 10% pay cut across the board and they just aren't telling anyone, but I doubt it.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Charlton should be fine now, so who cares really
    Well I bloody care! Talk about an 'I'm all right Jack...fuck you' attitude. Not much point in being a football club if you've no one to play! It wouldn't take much for more of our famous clubs to go under.
  • Options
    I think £1m to every club from League One to the national league from the Premier League would help a lot. Very affordable, and the smaller the club, the more the money will help them. You can't really means test it fairly.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Rothko said:

Fair enough to a point, but how much are these "non-rich" clubs playing their players every week? Has that gone up or down since the global pandemic and deepest recession ever kicked in?

In the real world people are having to make do with reduced pay, but what has football done? Maybe everyone has taken a 10% pay cut across the board and they just aren't telling anyone, but I doubt it.

This article goes through what Prem clubs, managers and players have done - https://www.goal.com/en/news/which-premier-league-footballers-have-taken-pay-cuts-in/truhwf12kvqt1316tog7xbyab
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Living in cloud cuckoo land of massively overblown fees and wages and now are facing a hit admittedly through no fault of their own. I genuinely have no sympathy for the Premier League. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Living in cloud cuckoo land of massively overblown fees and wages and now are facing a hit admittedly through no fault of their own. I genuinely have no sympathy for the Premier League. 
    But is that really the case in the Premier League? Are Brighton massively over paying or paying too much for their players? likewise Palace, Burnley or Sheffield United?

The big transfer fees have been paid by a Russian Oligarch, clubs with a shed ton of Champions League money or Manchester City who are a financial oddity. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The premier league have successfully created an industry in which smaller companies (clubs) bankrupt themselves to get the crumbs from the table and the biggest companies call all the shots and unsurprisingly just build and build their own wealth and further success.  They are all complicit, owners, managers, regulatory bodies players and agents.  I blame them all. Sooner they create their superleague and fuck off the better.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Rothko said:

This article goes through what Prem clubs, managers and players have done - https://www.goal.com/en/news/which-premier-league-footballers-have-taken-pay-cuts-in/truhwf12kvqt1316tog7xbyab
    Thanks. I'd heard of most of those, but it's good to see them all in one place. As you would expect, this goes to prove that there are lots of generous people in this world and they should be applauded for thinking of others and doing what they think is right.

The article is from back in April and says "On April 3, a statement from the Premier League said its 20 clubs have agreed to discuss a 30% wage reduction or deferral for player. However, it remains to be seen if all clubs and players will sign up to such an initiative."

So the PL clubs agreed to discuss it, but does anyone know the outcome of these discussions? Did anything change?

I get what Lineker and Neville are saying (in that article) and also agree that we shouldn't just be singling out highly paid footballers because they are an easy target.

But the very industry they work in is under serious threat now and it would be nice if, collectively, they could all work together - the players, PFA, PL, FA and EFL - to do something positive. I know of plenty of "big businesses" that have already taken action to help protect themselves and their industry - including my own firm where the senior people have taken pay cuts to ensure that the firm could top up the pay for those on furlough to 100% and at the same time NOT have to make redundancies across the board. 

Time for football do do something positive collectively and show the way.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

But is that really the case in the Premier League? Are Brighton massively over paying or paying too much for their players? likewise Palace, Burnley or Sheffield United?

Of course they are!

It's all relative, so compared to what the top earners are on at the big clubs then it's probably "not much", but compare it to the leagues below and it's largely astronomical amounts for journeymen players. (That's a bit harsh, but I mean "journeymen" relatively to the big stars.)

There's a race to get on, then stay on, the gravy train and in order to attract better players the thinking is that you have to pay higher wages. So yes, you can understand why they do it, but they still end up paying too much in wages relative to the business they are operating. 

• Options
    I think from a Government perspective, they could argue there is enough money in the game without the need for tax payers to intervene. They could threaten the Premier League subtly about some financial rule changes in the future if they don't help. 
  • Options
    I think from a Government perspective, they could argue there is enough money in the game without the need for tax payers to intervene. They could threaten the Premier League subtly about some financial rule changes in the future if they don't help. 
    I would love this to happen but I doubt it. They will let the teams go under is my worry.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    It was obvious @se9addick was joking surely?

No real football fan would want any club to go under, I wouldn’t even wish that on Millwall. 
    Yeah, absolutely.

Sorry, I’ve had a shocker, just trying to avoid the pile on now.
    Shit. What do I do with my pitchfork now?
  • Options
    Gammon said:
    I would love this to happen but I doubt it. They will let the teams go under is my worry.
    The big issue is that without assistance there are more than likely alot of clubs that will go out of business. However you also have to look at the situation and maybe this was always going to happen in the end. We are all going on about the wage cap only being 2k a week in League One, hold on to that thought a second..... £2k a week is after all in the real world not an inconsiderable amount of money. The fact that you have footballs players in the Prem earning the money they do is just not sustainable, nobody and I mean nobody is worth the 100's of thousands of pounds per week to kick a ball ! obviously I see the argument that if a player brings in revenue on the back of shirt sales etc then they deserve to be paid but the balance has completely gone nutty. As we all know football needs a reboot maybe this is the time
  • Options
    The premier league have successfully created an industry in which smaller companies (clubs) bankrupt themselves to get the crumbs from the table and the biggest companies call all the shots and unsurprisingly just build and build their own wealth and further success.  They are all complicit, owners, managers, regulatory bodies players and agents.  I blame them all. Sooner they create their superleague and fuck off the better.
    Ie: 'Capitalism'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely needs to be an injection of cash now to see the lower league clubs through this crisis. In my view the price for this should be some form of ring fenced tax or levy on clubs to be used to bolster the grass roots and lower leagues. For example, why not a form of stamp duty on transfer fees, agents' fees, sponsorship and tv rights payments? This could have thresholds to protect smaller clubs and players and should not need to be a big percentage to raise real money for those clubs less well off. Small clubs should not have to go cap in hand to the Premier League all the time. They use the football infrastructure, why shouldn't they be required to contribute to its cost?

• Options
    Ie: 'Capitalism'
    You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    £200m needed for the EFL clubs.
  • Options
    Topic just covered on C4 News. Charlton and the valley used as backdrop.
  • Options
    Sounds like government are going to give £20 million grant to national league division to keep them float. Can’t believe they cannot find anyway to let supporters in at that level. Pleased clubs won’t go bust but they should have let supporters in at that level by getting rid of the elite status.
  • Options
    Sorry if the government is stopping clubs from earning money from ticket sales and associated income, then it must help cover the losses. It will bail out theatre and class
  • Options
    Sounds like government are going to give £20 million grant to national league division to keep them float. Can’t believe they cannot find anyway to let supporters in at that level. Pleased clubs won’t go bust but they should have let supporters in at that level by getting rid of the elite status.
    It was the clubs (well, a handful of them) who pushed for elite status at that level in the first place as it was going to be their only way of carrying out the Playoffs last season. 

Bet they wish they hadn't bothered now. 
  • Options

Ten English Football League (EFL) clubs are struggling to pay wages this month, a parliamentary committee has heard.

The Premier League's proposed £50m rescue package for League One and Two clubs was described as "pitiful" by committee chairman Julian Knight.

EFL chairman Rick Parry hopes a deal with the Premier League can be agreed by the end of the month.

"There are 10 EFL clubs as we understand it who are unlikely to make the payroll this month," said Knight.

He was speaking at a meeting of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) Committee, where it was also confirmed the Premier League was preparing to abandon the trial of some pay-per-view matches costing fans £14.95 a time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54878811

• Options
    That is a worry.