Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sparrows Lane

Sparrows Lane was opened on 4 October 1987 (I was there), but where have our previous training grounds been?

Comments

• Options
    Before Sparrows Lane we spent the pre season 85/86 training on the Charlton Park Hockey Pitches 

Before then we trained at Valley Leisure a ground just around the corner from Sparrows Lane
  • Options
    Sparrows Lane was previously called Aries Sports Ground. I played cricket there many times against a team called Stansted who hired it on summer Sundays. I am pretty sure that Charlton used it on occasions before they bought it too.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Sparrows Lane was previously called Aries Sports Ground. I played cricket there many times against a team called Stansted who hired it on summer Sundays. I am pretty sure that Charlton used it on occasions before they bought it too.
    That's correct we used to after Charlton Park for at least 2 seasons before the club bought it. Lennie I think got a mate and Mike Norris to buy it for the club as we had litterally no base with playing at Selhurst 
  • Options
    At the ground. Running up and down the East terrace to warm up. 5 a side in the car park. I remember Keith Peacock saying that Phil Warman was mad as he would slide tackle!
  • Options
    Did we move to Sparrows Lane as part of a broader strategy that included returning to the Valley? I note that the programme says “reviving our roots” and was wondering if this was part of bringing us back to our local community prior to coming back to the Valley?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Did we move to Sparrows Lane as part of a broader strategy that included returning to the Valley? I note that the programme says “reviving our roots” and was wondering if this was part of bringing us back to our local community prior to coming back to the Valley?
    At that time there was talk of moving back to the borough of Greenwich but no more than that so it could be said it was part of a broader strategy. As I said above the club simply had no base of its own (unless you include the portacabins at Selhurst) and Lennie got a mate and Mike Norris to purchase to at least give us a base.

Later that season Alwen and Norris (Directors at the time but did not own the club) started the conversations with Gilkstein 're purchasing the Valley but the decision to return was not made until March 89
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    se9addick said:
    At that time there was talk of moving back to the borough of Greenwich but no more than that so it could be said it was part of a broader strategy. As I said above the club simply had no base of its own (unless you include the portacabins at Selhurst) and Lennie got a mate and Mike Norris to purchase to at least give us a base.

Later that season Alwen and Norris (Directors at the time but did not own the club) started the conversations with Gilkstein 're purchasing the Valley but the decision to return was not made until March 89
    Cheer
  • Options
    Our 6 a side league used Sparrows Lane although I thought it carried on after 1987 for a couple of years. Did Charlton let out the ground for private use after they took it over or could I be mistaken on dates? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    We were training there way back in the 70's. 
    I used to go many times with my dad to watch training. Mark Penfold was just breaking into the team @ 16.
    Keith Peacock gave me and my dad a lift in his Vauxhall Victor 101. He was playing then, thats how long ago it was!
    Some days they trained at the Valley, other days, Sparrows Lane. We used to ring before to see where they would be training that day.
    This is correct.

I played there for Catford Invicta in the early 1970's when we were coached by Mike Franklin (RIP).

Also, as mentioned on other threads, in the 1960's, the team trained at the Stones Sports Ground on Woolwich Road for many years.  We also had the infamous gym (single storey wooden hut painted in black creosote or something like that) at the Valley.  You can see it in some of the old pictures.
  • Options
    I remember our youth team playing at the Meridian sports club Charlton Park Lane, for some of the time we were  at Selhurst, used to watch them in the morning then  go on to watch Charlton, we also had some meetings of the Valley  Party there.
  • Options
    I'm sure at one time they trained at The Stones Social Club where Halfords and PC World is now. Used to flood a lot though. Maybe that's why it's called Stone Lake Retail Park.  
  • Options
    I'm sure at one time they trained at The Stones Social Club where Halfords and PC World is now. Used to flood a lot though. Maybe that's why it's called Stone Lake Retail Park.  
    See above.⬆️
  • Options
    @T_C_E can add some first hand experience to this thread
  • Options
    Sparrows Lane was opened on 4 October 1987 (I was there), but where have our previous training grounds been?

Official opening by Colin Moynihan, the Miniature for Sport
  • Options
    See above.⬆️
    Didn't see that.Bad eyes and old age is my excuse.
  • Options
    Stones sports ground was an absolutely massive bit of land ...played many a game of cricket and football there back in the day .also a reminder of the amount of industry off the lower road that complimented our following pre and post war ...knock off at 1.00pm on a Saturday ,down the pub for a couple and onto the valley for entertainment 
  • Options
    I was at that one :)
  • Options
    Circa 1950 they did pre season training at Harveys Sports ground, Hervey Rd, Blackheath. I used to go down there in the school holidays. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Iain Dowie used the M6 once.
  • Options
    I'm sure Sparrows Lane was Unilever's sports ground at one time. I played against Uni;ever in the late 60's.
  • Options
    @T_C_E can add some first hand experience to this thread
    I think Stones was in use around 70/72 but as said suffered something terrible with flooding, before the retail park was built the ground dropped away as severely as it still does in Westmoor st? and a 5 minute downpour would leave unplayable for ages leaving the players back at the Valley using the small pitch in the enclosure in west stand car park or a single goal on a raised grass area around the area of where the security box is now. I don’t ever remember Sparrows lane being mentioned by Mr Banham although the Valley turf was his domain and I doubt he would ever attended if it was in use by the club then. There was a maintenance man ironically named Ray who did everything to maintain the ground and he used to send me up the floodlights with a bulb in a duffle bag if one had blown I loved that job Rodney Stone couldnt get me up there, he was the cahones of his day I often used to overhear comments about his style of management by various adults at the club although most of the reasons I clashed with him were probably down to me. ;)
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Stones sports ground was an absolutely massive bit of land ...played many a game of cricket and football there back in the day .also a reminder of the amount of industry off the lower road that complimented our following pre and post war ...knock off at 1.00pm on a Saturday ,down the pub for a couple and onto the valley for entertainment 
    My grandad worked at Stones for 50 years and played for the cricket team.

I’ve got one of his cricket medals somewhere, will try and dig it out
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Did Stones make ship propellers?
    One of my many step fathers brought home a small brass propeller which my mother had as a door stop for many a year.
  • Options
    I'm sure Sparrows Lane was Unilever's sports ground at one time. I played against Uni;ever in the late 60's.
    One of the good things about SE London is the sheer number of company sports grounds that existed, which create a nice green area amongst the suburban sprawl. Areas like New Eltham/Avery Hill, and New Beckenham - the Kent cricket ground there was the Lloyds bank sports ground

It's not something modern companies do though, you can't imagine Google having a sports ground!
  • Options
    My uncle worked at J Stone for 50 years. The marine division (Deptford) made propellers including those for the QE and QM. I’m not sure if that part of the business continued when they upped sticks to Crawley in the 60s. He moved with them, as an incentive staff were offered new two bedroom houses at a peppercorn rent. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Pedro45 said:
    @Pedro45 & @lolwray

I played football for Aries and before that for Unilever there. The person that got me to play for Unilever is someone I suspect you will know - Ken Say who I then persuaded to Umpire during the summer for Sidcup CC. The rest, as they say, is history! 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    lolwray said:

Did Stones make ship propellers?
    One of my many step fathers brought home a small brass propeller which my mother had as a door stop for many a year.
    Yes mate, I can remember him telling me about how big the propellers for the Queen Mary were.