Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sparrows Lane

Comments

• Options
    My uncle worked at J Stone for 50 years. The marine division (Deptford) made propellers including those for the QE and QM. I’m not sure if that part of the business continued when they upped sticks to Crawley in the 60s. He moved with them, as an incentive staff were offered new two bedroom houses at a peppercorn rent. 
    He was there with my Grandad then. A few members of my family worked there, my aunt and uncle in the offices and my mum worked it the payroll dept for a while.
  • Options
    My memory is fading, but I am sure I watched them on the Rectory Field, at the other end to where Kent played cricket, probably 50's unless this was a friendly against Greenwich Borough who played there
  • Options
    I'm sure Sparrows Lane was Unilever's sports ground at one time. I played against Uni;ever in the late 60's.

Wasn't Unilever a different sports ground on Sparrows Lane? 
  • Options
    I'm sure Sparrows Lane was Unilever's sports ground at one time. I played against Uni;ever in the late 60's.

Wasn't Unilever a different sports ground on Sparrows Lane? 
    It certainly wasn't in the late 70s. As I say I played for both Unilever and Aries at Sparrow's Lane in the South London Alliance - from memory Aries was a company owned by a couple of blokes who were printers who bought it off Unilever.
  • Options
    My uncle worked at J Stone for 50 years. The marine division (Deptford) made propellers including those for the QE and QM. I’m not sure if that part of the business continued when they upped sticks to Crawley in the 60s. He moved with them, as an incentive staff were offered new two bedroom houses at a peppercorn rent. 
    He was there with my Grandad then. A few members of my family worked there, my aunt and uncle in the offices and my mum worked it the payroll dept for a while.
    My mum was secretary to the Managing Director of Stones at Deptford, besides propellors the company made air conditioning for trains. I remember going to the sports ground pre season  and watching Charlton train and especially remember seeing John Hewie, which must have been about 1960
  • Options
    Does the Sparrows lane training ground also incorporate the old Shooter's Hill Grammar school sports ground. I remember walking from Shooter's Hill to the ground there during the lunch hour for the weekly sports afternoon. Ated the cross country run around the park. 
  • Options
    I served my apprenticeship at J.Stone Deptford in the 1960's and moved with the company to Crawley, although didn't stay with them for long.
    What was your uncles name?  
  • Options
    I served my apprenticeship at J.Stone Deptford in the 1960's and moved with the company to Crawley, although didn't stay with them for long.

I worked there from 1966- 1969 when they moved to Crawley, I was a storekeeper
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    We were training there way back in the 70's. 
    I used to go many times with my dad to watch training. Mark Penfold was just breaking into the team @ 16.
    Keith Peacock gave me and my dad a lift in his Vauxhall Victor 101. He was playing then, thats how long ago it was!
    Some days they trained at the Valley, other days, Sparrows Lane. We used to ring before to see where they would be training that day.
    This is correct.

I played there for Catford Invicta in the early 1970's when we were coached by Mike Franklin (RIP).

Also, as mentioned on other threads, in the 1960's, the team trained at the Stones Sports Ground on Woolwich Road for many years.  We also had the infamous gym (single storey wooden hut painted in black creosote or something like that) at the Valley.  You can see it in some of the old pictures.
    That's right, I remember me & a mate going to the Valley one afternoon, I guess it must have been pre season & we had gone to buy season tickets. Hearing noise coming from the old hut we obviously went over to be nosy & some of the players were in there playing football. No idea who was in there now, it was such a long time ago, must have been mid/late 60s. There was also a set of goal posts up on the mound by the side of the South terrace which must have been used for shooting practice.
  • Options

Who are you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Does the Sparrows lane training ground also incorporate the old Shooter's Hill Grammar school sports ground. I remember walking from Shooter's Hill to the ground there during the lunch hour for the weekly sports afternoon. Ated the cross country run around the park. 
    Was trying to remember that too. Think it was further down Avery lane.  Cross country course an easy jog compared to the bloody hills around the school and up through the "Sanctuary".

• Options
     Eric Harmer, he helped to run Greenfield FC and played cricket for J Stone well into his 50’s. 
  • Options

Who are you?

Have sent you a message
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    As a teenager I used to go and watch us training occasionally in school holidays in the era of Martin Robinson and Paul Walsh so pre 1985. I always thought it was at Sparrows' Lane - cetainly New Eltham. In fact, I'm sure I recognise the brick building in the picture. Was this a re-opening/ redevelopment?
  • Options
    As a teenager I used to go and watch us training occasionally in school holidays in the era of Martin Robinson and Paul Walsh so pre 1985. I always thought it was at Sparrows' Lane - cetainly New Eltham. In fact, I'm sure I recognise the brick building in the picture. Was this a re-opening/ redevelopment?
    Was adjacent but not the same place.
  • Options
    Was adjacent but not the same place.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    My old man was the groundsman there at about that time (80-81). There was definitely a (club owned?) building with a bar in it, because we lived in it (the building, not the bar..).

One of my earliest memories - getting launched 20 feet by a Martin Robinson howitzer to the stomach. 39 years later and I can still see the ball zeroing in on me.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Was trying to remember that too. Think it was further down Avery lane.  Cross country course an easy jog compared to the bloody hills around the school and up through the "Sanctuary".

Think you are wright about the Shooter's Hill sports ground, it was a bit of a track down that muddy lane.
     Agree about being made to run around Shooter's HHill for the 40min pe lesson  itwadthe Scots pe master who like to do that. He also arranged inter form shitty competitions.ⁿ
  • Options
    My old man was the groundsman there at about that time (80-81). There was definitely a (club owned?) building with a bar in it, because we lived in it (the building, not the bar..).

One of my earliest memories - getting launched 20 feet by a Martin Robinson howitzer to the stomach. 39 years later and I can still see the ball zeroing in on me.
    Was the bar run by a bloke called Jock (didn't know him by any other name)? We used to play on the plastic pitch there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't the youth team play a fair few games at the Merdian before SL reopened? 
  • Options

Was the bar run by a bloke called Jock (didn't know him by any other name)? We used to play on the plastic pitch there.
    I was too young at the time to remember names, but there was defnitely a grey haired fella in and around the place. I don't know if that describes the man you mention, but that amazingly detailed description is the best I can give you. 

The only other person (players aside) that I can remember is a Christopher Reeve lookalike who had a 'modern' blue tractor with a cab. Charlton's antique tractor didn't have one.. He must have worked on one of the ajoining fields/clubs, but was a regular visitor.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

Think you are wright about the Shooter's Hill sports ground, it was a bit of a track down that muddy lane.
     Agree about being made to run around Shooter's HHill for the 40min pe lesson  itwadthe Scots pe master who like to do that. He also arranged inter form shitty competitions.ⁿ
    That Scots PE teacher gave me my one and only A+ for PE. He was ex military commando I think.
  • Options
    My dad played rugby for Charlton Park and in the 70's and 80's their ground was next door. Didn't like rugby as a kid but had to go some Saturdays. Me and my brother would jump over the fence and play football on the field. Great place always well looked after. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Didn't the youth team play a fair few games at the Merdian before SL reopened? 
    The youth team played at the Meridian from the start of the 85/86 season and stayed their even after the official opening of Sparrows Lane in October 87. From the start of 88/89 season youth team games were always played at Sparrows Lane and may have started there from the start of the year in January 88.

Pre 85/86 season youth team games were played at Valley Leisure a ground just down the road from Sparrows Lane. That is the ground that was also known as Jock's place
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:

That Scots PE teacher gave me my one and only A+ for PE. He was ex military commando I think.
    Rudd? I remember everyone calling him Jock, but I don’t remember ever being in a class of his. 
  • Options
    I remember Lenny training the team on the hills by the cafe at Oxleas Woods pre season 1985, I was there on a day trip from primary school so you can imagine how excited the Charlton supporters among us were.
  • Options
    Correct, it certainly was. My Dad played football for Unilever down there up to around 1983 or so.