Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jorge Costa and Keith Jones

2»

Comments

• Options
    I rate JC along with Peter Shirtliff as the two finest centre halves I have ever seen at Charlton. Jorge just looked like the sort of lump you get on any Sunday morning pitch. But his skill, reading of the game, and leading of the back line were peerless. Every game was a masterclass in defending. He wasn't short of a knowledge of the black arts either. My favorite being when he gave Niall Quinn a sly and very deliberate kick in the calf as the game moved back upfield. Quinn had been mouthing it for most of the game and the ref ignored him as he limped past complaining of the Costa dig. Jorge just kept staring innocently ahead.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Keith Jones - the Sidewinder. Proper Curbs signing, £125k if I recall correctly, and paid that back many times over. 

Was talking to a Benfica fan recently - he described Costa as "an animal" and said Sporting and Benfica fans really disliked him, probably for the same reasons that I liked him so much. Very much enjoyed watching him showing no respect at all to some very illustrious opponents, think Ruud Van Nistelrooy had a particularly hard time against him.
    That's a Lisbon v Porto city thing.
  • Options
    Jorge Costa.....what can you say.
    Never looked hurried or panicky, knew all the short cuts and more to get himself in exactly the right place over and over again......quite uncanny.
    I’ve seen some great central defenders in my 63 years of attending The Valley but have no hesitation in saying he was the finest. He was a colossus in defence and led the line in unsurpassed pomp......what a player.
    How close we were to seeing him and The Roof playing together......now that would have been something to behold!
    Thanks for the memories Jorge, as brief as they were.👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
    I had you down as a young whippersnapper?
    My one project in life is to die young, whilst at the same time go on living for as long as possible.
    Soon to be 73 mate.
    Long live the project.
    Why thank you kind Sir.😃
  • Options
    Jorge was fantastic - we won 3 London derbies in the week he got here, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    What I wouldn’t I give to have them playing for us now. 
  • Options
    I rate JC along with Peter Shirtliff as the two finest centre halves I have ever seen at Charlton. Jorge just looked like the sort of lump you get on any Sunday morning pitch. But his skill, reading of the game, and leading of the back line were peerless. Every game was a masterclass in defending. He wasn't short of a knowledge of the black arts either. My favorite being when he gave Niall Quinn a sly and very deliberate kick in the calf as the game moved back upfield. Quinn had been mouthing it for most of the game and the ref ignored him as he limped past complaining of the Costa dig. Jorge just kept staring innocently ahead.
    I agree largely but not the every game comment ; he was dicey against Walsall in the cup and not good against Villa at home 
  • Options
    I once had a song published in the ”Goodbye Horse” fanzine about George Costa. It was to the tune of “La Ista Bonita” by Madonna. Anyone still got a copy?

Keith Jones was class btw 
  • Options
    I remember Jorge tackling Rebrov, I thought how are they going to get him off the roof.I heard the impact from the other side of the ground!
  • Options
    Happy belated birthday lads 🔴⚪️