Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    It is so difficult to comment on this thread without it looking political, which i prefer to do in the HofC section of Charlton life.
    But when those in charge say they are 'one nation', and are going to 'put their arms around' people, the hypocrisy of their stance on this matter is difficult not to see.
    In fact it smacks (a lot of) people square in the face.
    I think the government is going to do something. It will cost them (us) more but will mean kids have access to free meals over Christmas in a different way. They feel they can't do another U turn but the bit they are bothered about most is when they are attacked by their own.
    Not sure on that, Boris pretty much doubled down on his position earlier today.

That being said he’s made so many u-turns since becoming PM another one wouldn’t be a surprise! 
  • Options
    It won't technically be a U turn if it is a different way. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It is the society that has been brewing for many years. 
  • Options
    Fortunately, it looks like there is going to be a shift with this and there has been a lot of discussions on the different reasons for children going hungry.

Whist any child going hungry is terrible, the priority for this needs to be for those whose income has dropped due to covid, for example hard working families were employed in otherwise stable jobs and made perfectly reasonable decisions based on expected salaries. They have lost significant income though unprecedented circumstances and through no fault of their own.

Where the income is stable and not affected by covid in the same way and that income is not spent on the right priorities and children are going hungry that is a different situation. Of course it still needs solutions but the causes are quite different and the solutions are very different.

• Options
    Boris and his MPs continue to be caught with their trousers down. They keep referring to the £63m that the Government gave to local councils back in June but this wasn't specifically to deal with hungry children and in any event councils were told that the expectation was that this would be enough for 12 weeks.
  • Options
    Not trying to be controversial here, but how do you identify a hungry child?

I don't know about you, but as a kid I was always hungry!
  • Options
    I would turn that the other way round and say the availability of food is a way of identifying a not hungry child. We don't need to forensically test kids for levels of hunger, just make sure they can access a basic need such as food. 
  • Options
    Everyone has access to food in the UK.

I'm more concerned about possible malnutrition of kids, but how do you identify that? Some really skinny kids are perfectly healthy and well fed, despite living in relative poverty.

The resources need to be put where they are most needed and for the life of me I cannot see how you do that, other than where there is obvious neglect.

Child benefit was supposed to ensure children didn't go hungry (amongst other things) but the levels of hunger that are being reported would suggest it's not working as it should. So do we just significantly increase the amount paid?

I doubt that would remove child hunger completely - so do we focus on where the need is greatest? But where is that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'm more concerned about possible malnutrition of kids, but how do you identify that? Some really skinny kids are perfectly healthy and well fed, despite living in relative poverty.

The resources need to be put where they are most needed and for the life of me I cannot see how you do that, other than where there is obvious neglect.

Child benefit was supposed to ensure children didn't go hungry (amongst other things) but the levels of hunger that are being reported would suggest it's not working as it should. So do we just significantly increase the amount paid?

I doubt that would remove child hunger completely - so do we focus on where the need is greatest? But where is that?
    Where benefit is used for non priority items, increasing benefit would be unlikely to help. Increasing benefits does not decrease numbers in relative poverty - as the description says, it is relative, so even if everyone in the country had double the income, the same numbers would be in relative poverty, relative to the population). 

Those that have had their income(s) slashed by the covid situation are, in many ways, a much more urgent priority since their circumstances have changed so dramatically unexpectedly
  • Options
    I reckon if you're around children enough it is possible to identify hungry ones, possibly by looking at them, but also observing behaviour and indeed listening to them.
    Another clue is what they will be prepared to eat. The sprout test if you want to call it that (personally I like sprouts).
    There are hungry children out there, not even relatively hungry, but genuinely so.
    The authorities say there is enough provision, but medical people, teachers, social workers, NSPCC bods, food bank volunteers, church organisations and those who spend time around children would question that, or whether provision is getting through.
    Why has there ever been free school meals if it hasn't been recognised as necessary?
  • Options

The Tory Party really, really confuse me...
  • Options
    Would like to hear peoples idea on actually solving the problem instead of just the "free meals for kids" strategy currently being banded around.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Would like to hear peoples idea on actually solving the problem instead of just the "free meals for kids" strategy currently being banded around.
    You can solve 90% of the issue quite quickly;

1. All meals in state schools become free. 5-18.
    2. Sort out the benefit levels & mess. Urgent review of housing benefit levels which are almost always too low.
    3. Longer term, education, education, education (appreciate its very complex but not beyond the wit of man(.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Where benefit is used for non priority items, increasing benefit would be unlikely to help. Increasing benefits does not decrease numbers in relative poverty - as the description says, it is relative, so even if everyone in the country had double the income, the same numbers would be in relative poverty, relative to the population). 

Those that have had their income(s) slashed by the covid situation are, in many ways, a much more urgent priority since their circumstances have changed so dramatically unexpectedly
    Someone who lost their job in December or January, or got sick, or has developed a mental health issue or whose relationship broke down, or took on extra caring duties or whose tenancy was ended without fault or a host of other reasons leading to severe financial difficulties is no less deserving than someone who lost their job in May. In fact maybe their need is greater as they are probably burning through whatever savings they may have had. 

More importantly, your idea that their children should be treated differently because the parents don't meet your (unspecified) criteria as deserving of the same assistance as others is not a good look tbh. You don't really mean this do you? 
    Of course there are numerous (endless) different scenarios. I said the solutions were different for the different scenarios. Children are treated differently; some already get free school dinners and other don't, some get free transport to school and/or taxis whilst others don't and some families get council or housing association accommodation and others don't, despite being more in need than those already in said accommodation, sometimes with a good income. And some families get benefits and have more income than those working. So children are treated differently already.

I would hope that the children in the scenario you describe are already getting free school dinners.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The Tory Party really, really confuse me...
    That'd be the Douglas Ross who abstained on the Free School Meal vote, although that's still one up on the 5 other Scottish Conservative MPs who all voted against.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    cafc999 said:
    You can solve 90% of the issue quite quickly;

1. All meals in state schools become free. 5-18.
    2. Sort out the benefit levels & mess. Urgent review of housing benefit levels which are almost always too low.
    3. Longer term, education, education, education (appreciate its very complex but not beyond the wit of man(.

We had that promise under Tony Blair and no real improvement came of it.

100% agree with free meals to those kids in state schools.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Trouble is these are not normal times, still plenty of people out of work due to covid, who under normal circumstances are bringing in a wage. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Someone who lost their job in December or January, or got sick, or has developed a mental health issue or whose relationship broke down, or took on extra caring duties or whose tenancy was ended without fault or a host of other reasons leading to severe financial difficulties is no less deserving than someone who lost their job in May. In fact maybe their need is greater as they are probably burning through whatever savings they may have had. 

More importantly, your idea that their children should be treated differently because the parents don't meet your (unspecified) criteria as deserving of the same assistance as others is not a good look tbh. You don't really mean this do you? 
    Of course there are numerous (endless) different scenarios. I said the solutions were different for the different scenarios. Children are treated differently; some already get free school dinners and other don't, some get free transport to school and/or taxis whilst others don't and some families get council or housing association accommodation and others don't, despite being more in need than those already in said accommodation, sometimes with a good income. And some families get benefits and have more income than those working. So children are treated differently already.

I would hope that the children in the scenario you describe are already getting free school dinners.
    In term time yes, we'd all HOPE THAT but the point is even if they are they don't get FSM in half term.

And to qualify for FSM the parents have to be on universal credit IIRC which can take weeks or months to be approved.

Are you saying it wouldn't have been sorted out 9 or 10 months later?

Are school canteens used during school holidays at all? I would volunteer (next year when not working) to help out during the school holidays as would a lot of people
  • Options
    Addickted said:

In term time yes, we'd all HOPE THAT but the point is even if they are they don't get FSM in half term.

And to qualify for FSM the parents have to be on universal credit IIRC which can take weeks or months to be approved.

Are you saying it wouldn't have been sorted out 9 or 10 months later?

Are school canteens used during school holidays at all? I would volunteer (next year when not working) to help out during the school holidays as would a lot of people
    That's great.

Who pays for the staff (helping out is great but are you qualified to cook 100s of meals, the food, the cleaning, the electricity, the DBS checks?

People are still being made redundant now or being put on 2/3rds of minimum wages now. So that's four to six weeks wait.  Many will have savings, many won't, some won't have mortgages, loans and other bills to pay, others will.

The example given was from December/January and I said I hoped any children would be getting free school dinners by now. You said there is a delay which hoped was not as long as 9 or 10 months.

Of course my scenario isn't free and I was not thinking of doing all the meals and everything else myself funnily enough as a community approach. No wonder people don't put forward suggestions or offer to volunteer if they get negative responses like this. And people bring in unnecessary comments about beneficiaries of a Tory government which is completely unnecessary.

There is too much political point scoring and sarcasm rather than looking at (just) the issues, solutions and causes. And the medium and longer-term solutions and addressing the various causes, than just throwing endless money at it.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Well, the immediate "problem" is children who rely on free school meals going hungry during half term and then Christmas school holidays.

So what Rashford is proposing solves that problem as does the work by local businesses, charities and some councils.

Now, I agree there are other, longer term problems (universal credit being too little and taking too long, unemployment and under employment, low wages, a government willing to reward its donors and friends with multiple billion pound contracts for shoddy work rather than fund free school meals, etc etc,etc) but while those are being dealt with the children, through no fault of their own, are likely to have less to eat than they need.

In one of the richest countries in the world.

That is the problem.

So any ideas on how to solve it?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Well, the immediate "problem" is children who rely on free school meals going hungry during half term and then Christmas school holidays.

So what Rashford is proposing solves that problem as does the work by local businesses, charities and some councils.

Now, I agree there are other, longer term problems (universal credit being too little and taking too long, unemployment and under employment, low wages, a government willing to reward its donors and friends with multiple billion pound contracts for shoddy work rather than fund free school meals, etc etc,etc) but while those are being dealt with the children, through no fault of their own, are likely to have less to eat than they need.

In one of the richest countries in the world.

That is the problem.

So any ideas on how to solve it?
    Yes, pay the schools and or councils to keep their kitchens open
  • Options
    Good to see this pandemic hasn't effect Grapevine's ability to post long replies, albeit this one is much shorter then previous posts