Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Standard of football officals

I don't like to critisise the referee and it's officals as I always look to witness how Charlton are doing but tonight was a complete joke.

I would've accepted (got annoyed with it though) if the Linesman flagged it straight away and got it wrong but it took the Blackpool players to protest. The Lincoln game was a similar incident as well...so do Charlton need to protest more to get their own way? Absolute madness this is turning out to be and it's a typical EFL failure!

Comments

• Options
    It wasn’t great, but didn’t they say it was his first match at this level, let’s hope for his sake he gets better!
  • Options
    Tonights referee put the last few we've had to shame, and this was his first match as a referee in the EFL. We got done at Lincoln because they didn't see it and guessed it wasn't offside and got done today because they didn't see it and guessed it was offside. 
  • Options
    What happens if the officials don't turn up?
    Ref as we go, or one of the managers half heartedly hanging around in one corner giving 70 yard decisions?
    The officials should be viewed like the weather, sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes OK.
    The referees come under the Football Association, not the English Football League.
    If you want to guarantee promotion for Charlton, let me referee every game.

• Options
    MattF said:
    Tonights referee put the last few we've had to shame, and this was his first match as a referee in the EFL. We got done at Lincoln because they didn't see it and guessed it wasn't offside and got done today because they didn't see it and guessed it was offside. 
    Isn't the rule that the benefit of doubt goes with the attacker?
  • Options
    Some may disagree but I actually thought the referee was quite good tonight. Yes the offside goal looks very dubious but I think he has gone with what the linesman was telling him. 
    Both red cards correct 
    And thought overall he didn't get many wrong. A lot better than the rest this season personally. 

Agree about the red cards but if the Linesman was sure Bogle touched it why did'nt he flag it up straight away?
  • Options
    He is a highly rated referee by the powers above. They gave him National League Final at Wembley in summer and promoted him the following day and don't often say it but wouldn't mind him as referee again.

I mean we are due Mr Kettle at some point this season aren't we!!

I miss Darren Deadman when we won every game when he was referee! 😂 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    That's what I thought, pretty sure it was actually offside, but take away Maxwell screaming at the linesman and it isn't given, which isn't right
  • Options
     DiscoCAFC said:
    Some may disagree but I actually thought the referee was quite good tonight. Yes the offside goal looks very dubious but I think he has gone with what the linesman was telling him. 
    Both red cards correct 
    And thought overall he didn't get many wrong. A lot better than the rest this season personally. 

Agree about the red cards but if the Linesman was sure Bogle touched it why did'nt he flag it up straight away?
    Because he was undecided. Then Maxwell barked at him really loudly so he put his flag up. I’m not one for slagging off officials too much but surely being decisive is quite important? That was pathetic but at least we got over the line in the end...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    Laws don't mention benefit of the doubt - assuming Bogle didn't touch the ball then he may still have been offside if he was:

"...preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision..."

Given how nuanced the law is it's not unreasonable to let the assistant consider it for a couple of seconds before raising the flag.
  • Options
    Thought the ref done well tonight too. Got more right than wrong. The "offside" goal was down to the linesman. 
  • Options
    Just looked at appointments for Saturday and we have another newly promoted referee for the game against Northampton. The referee will be Sam Allison. First Black referee in the professional leagues since Uriah Rennie in 2009.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    Laws don't mention benefit of the doubt - assuming Bogle didn't touch the ball then he may still have been offside if he was:

"...preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision..."

Given how nuanced the law is it's not unreasonable to let the assistant consider it for a couple of seconds before raising the flag.
    It was a lot more than a couple of seconds, and happened as a result of Maxwell rushing across and screaming at him. That is unacceptable weakness at a professional level.

The only quibble I've got with the ref, is that when he went over to the linesman he allowed players from both sides to be far too close to the discussion. He should have told them all to piss off and only then ask the linesman if he was really sure.

The commentators were told that it was disallowed because Bogle touched it. That wasn't possible to tell from the Valley Pass replay, but was clear was that Bogle didn't obstruct the goalie's line of vision, except in the sense of having been beaten by Inniss header he might not have had a clear view of it hitting the back of the net. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What happens if the officials don't turn up?
    Ref as we go, or one of the managers half heartedly hanging around in one corner giving 70 yard decisions?
    The officials should be viewed like the weather, sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes OK.
    The referees come under the Football Association, not the English Football League.
    If you want to guarantee promotion for Charlton, let me referee every game.

That wouldn't work.
    You would only look in wonder at the left wing and abuse anyone in the centre or right wing until they walked off.
  • Options
    I wouldn't look in wonder at the left wing.
  • Options
    I Dio didn’t think bogle touched it or was offside/interfering with play. What put doubt in my mind was bogle running off and celebrating like he had scored!
  • Options
    I Dio didn’t think bogle touched it or was offside/interfering with play. What put doubt in my mind was bogle running off and celebrating like he had scored!
    Dopey footballers are often desperate to claim goals for a minute touch, without ever considering whether they are onside or not  :D
  • Options
    They say that decisions even themselves out over a season......so if they do we are due some really big ones to go our way soon. 

6 games played and we have had 2 BIG decisions go against us. Both times the lino making it up as he goes along. Just not good enough & tonight it was clear he was bullied by Maxwell. 

Last season after the restart we had Chuks goal wrongly ruled out & Forster-Cakey denied a certain penalty. Either one of those could have kept us up. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    They say that decisions even themselves out over a season......so if they do we are due some really big ones to go our way soon. 

6 games played and we have had 2 BIG decisions go against us. Both times the lino making it up as he goes along. Just not good enough & tonight it was clear he was bullied by Maxwell. 

Last season after the restart we had Chuks goal wrongly ruled out & Forster-Cakey denied a certain penalty. Either one of those could have kept us up. 

We’ve had two big decisions too. Two sendings offs, I’ve seen refs bottle those before
  • Options
    I have actually run line with James Bell many times he is really good referee and good lad.Iinesmen dropped him in it there though he probably can’t see it from his angle bogle probably has his body in line of vision blocking ball so he can’t tell if he actually touches ball. But he didn’t flag because his not sure until Maxwell puts him on the spot.The long delay takes away his credibility.
     Think James had good game both reds cards are right got foul by Watson wrong but think his angle was different to ours on stream. Makes a lot of difference. Not wrong with Watson booking either that’s every game now.
    Good point about not getting players away when talking to lino I thought same. 
  • Options
    Refs and linos are not paid to guess.  If they are 100% sure then give the decision, otherwise let play continue. 

If there is a need for a discussion then they are not 100% sure.  The ball ended up in the net so it's a goal.

Why are the officials scared of the players hearing their indecision ?  Perhaps we should all hear what they are saying.  
  • Options
    Looks to me as if the ball hit Bogles thigh as it went in. Think I would have wanted is disallowed if it happened the other way round.

Blackpool v Charlton Athletic  Tuesday 20th October 7pm  Match thread -  Page 20  Charlton Life

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Looks to me as if the ball hit Bogles thigh as it went in. Think I would have wanted is disallowed if it happened the other way round.

Blackpool v Charlton Athletic  Tuesday 20th October 7pm  Match thread -  Page 20  Charlton Life

Agreed.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I think Wolves had a similar type of goal chalked off against us a few years ago. We didn't complain then. Agree though that I think Maxwell influenced the lino
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We have the 3 points now so be honest:

I thought straight away that Bogle who didn't understand the offside rule all night attempted to touch the ball after the great header from Innes: I have no idea if he did have the faintest of touches but it looked like he was trying to claim it. If Bogle brain was in gear he would have pointed to Innes, saying your goal. The wind up was the Lino only putting his flag up after being berated by Maxwell, 10 seconds later. No VAR so why did the Lino wait if he thought Bogle touched the ball ?
    The angle from the Ass refs side would make it look like Bogle was interfering with play also.

After the nonsense with the Penalty offside which wasn't ruled out we are not getting the rub of the green.

That is why Lee Bowyer went straight down the tunnel as he would've told the lino where to put his flag.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    DiscoCAFC said:
    I don't like to critisise the referee and it's officals as I always look to witness how Charlton are doing but tonight was a complete joke.

I would've accepted (got annoyed with it though) if the Linesman flagged it straight away and got it wrong but it took the Blackpool players to protest. The Lincoln game was a similar incident as well...so do Charlton need to protest more to get their own way? Absolute madness this is turning out to be and it's a typical EFL failure!
    The Lincoln game was far worse for me as the mistake was one that shouldn't happen with the assistant being unable to keep up with play with little excuse. I can't tell you now whether the officials were right or wrong last night and I watched the game. (Judging by the photo I have just seen above, they were right). Forget how long it took, the issue is whether it was an error or not. If I don't know, I can't be too critical of them. And I am the first to have a go at a ref if I think he deserves it. I thought the ref was ok yesterday in all honesty.