Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice needed re. Maternity leave/work

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    TeslaGirl said:
    NOT a lawyer but think employer stuck between a rock and a hard place, because they'd be obligated to make the temp cover person permanent after 2 years?  Well, at least offer T&Cs as for a perm role?  Would suggest ACAS except you've already had that suggestion...
    This person was never temp cover though, she was given the job permanently as soon as she started my fiance has since found out.

I know I'm biased, but my fiance and her sister are two of the few people there that are actually competent at their jobs which makes this all the more frustrating. 
    Sounds like the nursery made a mistake employing a replacement permanently.

You say she was sacked previously, do you know what for or any more about it?
  • Options
    Has the other person been there over two years? 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    TeslaGirl said:
    NOT a lawyer but think employer stuck between a rock and a hard place, because they'd be obligated to make the temp cover person permanent after 2 years?  Well, at least offer T&Cs as for a perm role?  Would suggest ACAS except you've already had that suggestion...
    This person was never temp cover though, she was given the job permanently as soon as she started my fiance has since found out.

I know I'm biased, but my fiance and her sister are two of the few people there that are actually competent at their jobs which makes this all the more frustrating. 
    Sounds like the nursery made a mistake employing a replacement permanently.

You say she was sacked previously, do you know what for or any more about it?
    Conduct related, my fiance knows no more than that. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Has the other person been there over two years? 
    She's been with the company over two years but has changed nurseries in that time. In this position at my fiance's nursery she's been there less than two years. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Would you believe it the manager has just sent an email out to ALL staff at the nursery explaining the situation and basically saying that one of my fiance and the other employee will be losing their job.
    How unprofessional can you get. 
    Keep a copy of course.
    Sounds like the ante has been upped, and there seems no doubt this will be about financial considerations.
    I really think your partner needs an advocate who is across the laws rules and regulations.
    From what you say this sounds like one of a chain of nurseries.
    Are there are a lot of employees overall, and does the parent company have an HR department?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I wonder how/why she managed to got reinstated? I appreciate you said the person doing the interviewing does get on with Mrs Talal but I wonder if they are using it as a reason for the other person to fail, being that they sacked her previously?

Should they go ahead, maybe the interviewer should be a neutral,objective person from another of the company's  nurseries. 

Although it appears strongly she shouldn't have to go though any inter view or selection process.

Is it being dealt with locally or by head office HR who should know better? And I would have thought, know more about maternity leave than most, since I would have thought it a popular place to work with people having children!

Also, what is the situation when they change nirsery within the same companiy?

Sounds like she was taken on during the first period of maternity leave, whiich is just plain wrong.

• Options
    Yes a lot of employees and yes there's an HR department. This is all coming from them via the nursery manager. 
  • Options
    The nursery manager might be being used by more remote forces who don't want to deal with a tricky situation.
    Any chance of by-passing the manager and going to HR?
    HR are probably saying 'you know the local circumstances', but unless the manager is a bit of a meglomaniac he or she could say the HR 'what exactly and precisely are the rules?'.
    A round robin email seems well and truly out of order to me.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Thanks again. 
    Unfortunately the insurance doesn't include legal cover but great suggestion. 

I made a mistake in regards to when my fiance found out about the other person being given a permanent job in her role; it was actually in July. Subsequent correspondence followed resulting in this email exchange. This would have been agreed by the regional director before the manager confirmed. 
    Understandably my fiance thought that this was the end of the matter and that she'd be returning as deputy. During the phone conversation earlier, the manager said words to the effect of "this doesn't matter as there has since been a restructuring in the company". Whether they are legally allowed to do this or not it just confirms the type of people she is dealing with. 

From a legal standpoint this email may well be binding, and if there's been a restructure and your fiancee was not informed, that is absolutely not on.

I am not a lawyer - merely surrounded by them in my social life - so please do seek appropriate advice from a professional post haste.
  • Options
    I wonder how/why she managed to got reinstated? I appreciate you said the person doing the interviewing does get on with Mrs Talal but I wonder if they are using it as a reason for the other person to fail, being that they sacked her previously?

Should they go ahead, maybe the interviewer should be a neutral,objective person from another of the company's  nurseries. 

Although it appears strongly she shouldn't have to go though any inter view or selection process.

Is it being dealt with locally or by head office HR who should know better? And I would have thought, know more about maternity leave than most, since I would have thought it a popular place to work with people having children!

Sounds like she was taken on during the first period of maternity leave, whiich is just plain wrong.

This person was reinstated as she won an unfair dismissal case. 

Not certain as Mrs T (I'm just going to call her that from now on!) has never changed nursery before. She knows this person moved over due to her nursery closing and thinks she'd be on the same contract.
    That's correct she started working there during the first period of leave. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The nursery manager might be being used by more remote forces who don't want to deal with a tricky situation.
    Any chance of by-passing the manager and going to HR?
    HR are probably saying 'you know the local circumstances', but unless the manager is a bit of a meglomaniac he or she could say the HR 'what exactly and precisely are the rules?'.
    A round robin email seems well and truly out of order to me.
    Mrs T doesn't have a direct line to anyone at HR just a generic email. I think at the moment we'll keep going through the manager. Although she'll pass it straight to HR anyway, at least she'll be aware of Mrs T's grievances. 
  • Options
    If the other 'candidate' has won a tribunal before they might see Mrs T as a softer touch to deal with.
    They might be super wary of the maternity cover lady.
  • Options
    They’re clearly acting outside of employment law but if I’m honest, I’ve got a tiny bit of sympathy for them. 2 years is a long time to backfill a fairly senior member of staff with a temporary resource. 
  • Options
    They’re clearly acting outside of employment law but if I’m honest, I’ve got a tiny bit of sympathy for them. 2 years is a long time to backfill a fairly senior member of staff with a temporary resource. 
    It might have been a bit of a challenging situation for them but absolute no reason to do what they did
  • Options
    It might have been a bit of a challenging situation for them but absolute no reason to do what they did
    No, no excuse for it.
  • Options
    Talal said:

This person was reinstated as she won an unfair dismissal case. 

Not certain as Mrs T (I'm just going to call her that from now on!) has never changed nursery before. She knows this person moved over due to her nursery closing and thinks she'd be on the same contract.
    That's correct she started working there during the first period of leave. 

So this is you?

Mr T  Best of the 80s

• Options
    The simple question to ask is if Mrs T was a man would they be in this situation?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The simple question to ask is if Mrs T was a man would they be in this situation?

Depends if you believe a man can have a baby. But that is a whole different thread
    Shared maternity leave?......
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

Depends if you believe a man can have a baby. But that is a whole different thread
    Yeah.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah.
    Fair point.
    Sexist  ;)
  • Options
    The HR person we know crafted an excellent letter (not formal grievance yet) to the manager highlighting why it's unfair dismissal. Mrs T has just had a phone call saying that HR still want her to reapply as she is on annual leave rather than maternity.

On the company's site under an employee's guide to maternity leave and Benefits it states - 

If you are taking part or all of the ordinary maternity leave or additional maternity leave you can:

1. Use the annual leave you accrue during your maternity leave in order to extend your maternity leave (as long as the leave is within a single annual leave year). 

Contacting our HR guru to draft another letter! 

• Options
    Any update?
  • Options
    Love all the people on here giving opinions, you want to try running a business , with all the laws, covering a position for two years it’s a hell of a ask.As bob Munro says after two years they don’t have to give her , her old job back.