Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Smart TV - choice of 2.

Hi All,

Looking to buy a new 4k Smart tv. 50 inch screen & I've narrowed it down to 2 (mainly due to the size of the stand). LG or Samsung. My current tv is an LG & had it 10 years (42 inch screen) so not sure if I should stay with this brand or try something new. Cost is roughly the same.

Any pro's or cons on either one. Your experiences please........

Comments

• Dave Rudd said:
    Never buy a TV based on the size of the stand. 

It's like buying a football club based on the number of chips you get served.
    The tv cabinet it stands on is only so wide. A lot of  TV's have their "feet" too wide apart to fit on the cabinet, so I'm limited to buying a tv with a "stand" rather than "feet", iyswim. Yes, I could buy a bigger cabinet, but then again, you could buy a different football club.
  • OLED and at least 65”. Any smaller you might as well get a new iPad. 
  • edited November 2020
    For me it's always LG over Samsung, I loved Samsung for years, but they just haven't kept up with LG lately.

Really though they're both fantastic TV manufacturers. Would you not consider wall mounting?
  • edited November 2020
    Dave Rudd said:

The tv cabinet it stands on is only so wide. A lot of  TV's have their "feet" too wide apart to fit on the cabinet, so I'm limited to buying a tv with a "stand" rather than "feet", iyswim. Yes, I could buy a bigger cabinet, but then again, you could buy a different football club.

Bizzarely I had an identical issue 2 weeks ago, although wanted something more like 43".

I chose this from Amazon.

Samsung 43" TU8500 Dynamic Crystal Clear Ultra HDR Smart 4K TV with Tizen OS £429, sold by Hughes Direct from Amazon.

• Of the two you have narrowed it down to, the numbers worth looking at imo are the refresh rate, how bright the TV can go (will it be in an area that sunlight might shine on the screen at any point?) And depending on what you have, how many connections it has, HDMI etc. 

We have a PS4, Chromecast and Sky TV at home so we need 3 HDMI slots, anything less is a huge faff to deal with on a day to day basis.

Other than that, the smart capabilities etc will largely be the same
  • The LG has 4 HDMI's.......but I doubt I'd ever use more than 2. 
  • edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    For me it's always LG over Samsung, I loved Samsung for years, but they just haven't kept up with LG lately.

Really though they're both fantastic TV manufacturers. Would you not consider wall mounting?
    Currently renting property so not sure the landlord wants me drilling holes everywhere. Also I don't want it too high up. I like looking straight at my tv......not getting neck ache !
  • edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

What makes you feel that way Daz?

I only ask as have had Samsung for years myself (since 2012) and there is flickering in the corner of our TV which makes me think its on its way out

Have been looking for a larger TV to put on the wall (Ours is only 32" at present) but been looking at both Samsung and LG TVs as a potential replacement
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Dave Rudd said:

Bizzarely I had an identical issue 2 weeks ago, although wanted something more like 43".

Samsung 43" TU8500 Dynamic Crystal Clear Ultra HDR Smart 4K TV with Tizen OS £429, sold by Hughes Direct from Amazon.

I think that's the one. £499 for the 50". £469 for the LG.
  • Dave Rudd said:

I think that's the one. £499 for the 50". £469 for the LG.
    I've literally only had it 2 weeks, but we're very pleased with it.
  • Mad how cheap TVs are these days.
  • Sent a samsung back to John lewis recently. Better sound on my 15yr + samsung and no way was i forking out for a soundbar. Will probably go for an LG when the time comes. Others i know with LG are not disappointed.
  • LG are one of the very few who actually make the screens for many other manufacturers.  Panasonic one of the others I believe.
    if I’m honest I’ve always regarded Samsung as more “form over function” and I know I’m not alone in that opinion.  If it’s a straight shootout between them then I’d go LG all day long.  

I’d strongly recommend an OLED too - the picture is just incredible but you may want to invest in a half decent sound bar too as tv speakers tend to be poo

ps - you’ve now got me look at treating myself to a new one for Christmas damn you 😀
  • edited November 2020
    Sent a samsung back to John lewis recently. Better sound on my 15yr + samsung and no way was i forking out for a soundbar. Will probably go for an LG when the time comes. Others i know with LG are not disappointed.
    Most of new 📺 are so thin, that’s it’s difficult to get a decent sound from them. My main tv is LG and the one before that was also LG. 
    HDMI ports are important also what apps can be downloaded on to them, ie Netflix, Amazon and Valleypass.

Got a Sonos beam and a couple of play 1s as surround sound.
  • Had two LG in a row and they were both great, had a Samsung for the past few months and hate it.
  • edited November 2020
    No matter what you buy, I do recommend that you buy a soundbar with a subwoofer as well.
    I’m defo no audiophile, but the difference is we’ll worth it and unbelievable (and I spent under 200 quid for the Sony HTS350).
  • Dazzler21 said:

What makes you feel that way Daz?

I only ask as have had Samsung for years myself (since 2012) and there is flickering in the corner of our TV which makes me think its on its way out

Have been looking for a larger TV to put on the wall (Ours is only 32" at present) but been looking at both Samsung and LG TVs as a potential replacement
    I just think the LG technology is a bit ahead of everyone at the moment, if you're going for a cheaper model, it's probably pretty even. But at the high end nothing competes with nanocell.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    To think the first telly we bought was a 25 inch Sony which lasted about 18 years, it was huge and like carrying a fridge!

I’ve always maintained we needed a bigger telly as my eyesight got worse.

I think we’re up to a 65 inch, LG and it has a cracking picture (not literally) got a button on the controller for Netflix and Amazon prime, can’t remember how much we paid for it, but thought it was a good price at the time, think we got it from John Lewis as they do an extra years warranty, although have bought Samsung from Argos and even Sainsbury before getting the one we ended up with, 4K picture is much better.

• Been looking into the same. LG was the name that kept coming up as first choice.
  • LG over Samsung. That's coming from a guesthouse owner with over 30 TVs.
  • Have you looked at the Sony's - pleased with mine.
  • edited November 2020
    interesting thread as I'll need a new TV when we move shortly.

the missus wants a 'picture frame' tv for the front room, just a glance tells me the only difference seems to be the price !! (and the fact it looks like a picture hanging on the wall when it's off) - pointless if you ask me, but she's adamant 

currently got a 52" Samsung curved TV and really happy with it
  • interesting thread as I'll need a new TV when we move shortly.

the missus wants a 'picture frame' tv for the front room, just a glance tells me the only difference seems to be the price !! (and the fact it looks like a picture hanging on the wall when it's off) - pointless if you ask me, but she's adamant 

currently got a 52" Samsung curved TV and really happy with it
    I’ve just got one of them Samsung frame ones and whilst they’re pricey and it does sound like a gimick, they do look class when they’re in and up, everyone who comes in raves about it and it’s not often guests compliment you on having a nice telly!
  • a year ago we moved from Sony to LG and have been very pleased with the LG, admittedly it is 65" but I guess 50" would be fine, I have no experience of Samsung, so my advise is if you are happy with the LG system then stay with it if not make a change
  • Had a 65" LG oled for a couple of years now and love it, no issues. Decided to get a soundbar though as the tv's output is pretty tinny, as tends to be the case these days. 
  • Talal said:
    Had a 65" LG oled for a couple of years now and love it, no issues. Decided to get a soundbar though as the tv's output is pretty tinny, as tends to be the case these days. 
    Weirdly I've found that LG's cheaper TV's have bigger speakers, they're downward firing, but adequate for a small to medium sized room.
  • Sounds like it's got up be the LG option then. 

I certainly wont be getting a sound bar or any other "enhancements". Its only me who watches the tv (apart from Golfie Jnr when the footies on) and I mainly watch terrestrial programmes & a few films, but nothing that I need the "cinema experience" for. Living room is approx 18 x 12 so I'll stick to a 50" screen that will fit on the tv cabinet & wont dominate the room. 

Thanks everyone. Mind made up.