Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Leyton Orient (EFL Trophy) - Post Match Thread - 10/11/2020

edited November 2020 in General Charlton
While this was a meaningless fixture in reality, there were a number of notable features. Starting debuts for Wassim Aouachria (who scored in the 12th minute), Hady Ghandour and Kasim Aidoo, with Dylan Gavin and Johl Powell coming off the bench. After Aouacharia's goal it seems to have been largely Orient pressure, and Ashley Maynard Brewer made some very good saves before Mingi's header put us 2-0 up from a Maddison set piece. Unfortunately then Orient immediately made it 2-1, but Maddison sealed it with his first goal for the club.
Final score 3-1. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Great competition.  This could have been our year. The magic of the cup. I'm off back to bed with the dog. 

Who is Papa Joe?
    We thought he was your dog.

• Options
    Shame we couldn't progress bit a nice win anyway and a good confidence boost for some of the younger chaps and valuable minutes for some to up their fitness so a lot of positives and a win win situation 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    We did well to beat a stylish Orient team and most of our young players put in a decent shift. Morgan was MOM. He has added some proper tackling and covering back to his game, some lovely passes, two assists and hit the post. Maddison improved throughout the game and took his goal really well. 
    It was a good fame to watch and I do not understand why people were so keen to get out of tgmhe competition. It was a good runout for our players returning from injury and a great opportunity for them to play men's football. I would happily watch more of these games  As it stands we will not see most of these guys in a first team shirt for another year, a real shame I think.
    Won't they play in the next round?
  • Options
    Albie played very well. Encouraging signs.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    With no pressure on the result I really enjoyed that. 

Personally I thought It was Morgan’s best Charlton performance and he was very unlucky not to score he seemed to be everywhere. Nothing for Bowyer to complain about after he played like that. 

Matthews put some great crosses in. We are lucky in the right back position, he would get into any other league 1 team at right back he’s unlucky we have Gunther in that position. Maddison showed flashes of what he can do and that was a fantastic finish for his goal. 

youngsters showed some promise and good to see Pearce back. 

No important football until Saturday week now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highlights starting now on VP
  • Options
    Pleased for Maddison. First goal in Charlton colours having not played competitive football for absolutely ages.
    Goal and an Assist. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed that game, but then again for some reason I'm enjoying every game that little bit more under Sandgaard, dunno why!!

Albie Morgan take a bow lad, he's not good enough for our First Team (on a consistent basis) just yet but teams in League Two need to wake up as why they didnt take him on loan after that showing is just baffling... He really has shown tonight that he could be a complete midfielder, did the dirty work all evening, put in a neat cross for Wassim (when he deserved to shoot himself) and then topped it off with an exquisite pass for Maddison's goal

Really needs to push on now as if he can do that on a consistent basis then he should even be getting in ahead of Jonny Williams

Was of course pleased for Aouachira especially after what he's been through but Ghandour is another who did well tonight, lovely pass through to Morgan for that first goal (after winning the aerial duel), lad didnt stop running all night and could well have found the next Josh Davison from Non-League already!!

The lads did themselves proud this evening!!
    Not convinced that Morgan didn't shoot for the first, but other than that agree with everything you say about him. Great all round CM performance tonight. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. The quality and intensity was obviously not up with a first team game, but it was still a enjoyable watch and nice to see some of the youth and to get a solid win. 

Mentioned on the match thread that I feel Maddison is going to be one of those players that really frustrates as he will constantly be trying stuff and much of the time it won't come off. But when it does, he has a wand of a left foot - I think he will win us some important points this year.

Be interesting to see what Bowyer does with him though, as his defensive side of the game looks to be pretty weak. A few times he jumped out of 50/50 challenges  - but that could just be because he is coming back from injury. 

Also I know it was against leaser opposition but Morgan bossed that and looked a cut above the rest. Pleased for the lad, and the coaching staff, that he is looking like developing into a real prospect. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A much better game than I expected against a good Orient team . Probably just edged it    . Some really good performances  , I liked the look of Aidoo , but Morgan MOM     . Maddison showed what he is capable of and Pearce looked like his old self . Kypriano was very impressive for the O's  .
  • Options
    What type of striker if Ghandour?
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. Entertaining. Henry is going to be a star. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Wouldnt say he has the physicality of Josh Davison yet doesnt get bullied, nor does he have raw pace like Karlan Grant

Would say he's a clever Striker, if he can get ahead of the Defence by being in the right positions then he'll do alright
  • Options
    A bit like Washington maybe?
  • Options
    Enjoyed that game, but then again for some reason I'm enjoying every game that little bit more under Sandgaard, dunno why!!

Albie Morgan take a bow lad, he's not good enough for our First Team (on a consistent basis) just yet but teams in League Two need to wake up as why they didnt take him on loan after that showing is just baffling... He really has shown tonight that he could be a complete midfielder, did the dirty work all evening, put in a neat cross for Wassim (when he deserved to shoot himself) and then topped it off with an exquisite pass for Maddison's goal

Really needs to push on now as if he can do that on a consistent basis then he should even be getting in ahead of Jonny Williams

Was of course pleased for Aouachira especially after what he's been through but Ghandour is another who did well tonight, lovely pass through to Morgan for that first goal (after winning the aerial duel), lad didnt stop running all night and could well have found the next Josh Davison from Non-League already!!

The lads did themselves proud this evening!!
    I was confused why Morgan wasn't snapped up last summer (2019) on loan by at least an L2 side, but thought it was ridiculous why lower league sides weren't fighting over him this summer. He showed in June and July that he had really worked hard on his fitness during lockdown, and while his defensive work wasn't perfect, he was definitely going in the right direction, as shown by the 3 year contract awarded afterwards.

Their loss is our gain

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Busy .

Terry Smith compared him to Garry Nelson.
    The Lebenon FA were tweeting about Ghandour's stats at half time so assume his family are from there originally.