Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The simple pleasures of football

Comments

• Half time scores and your local rivals are losing.
  • When the opposition player has already been booked and the referee starts calling them towards him after a foul. 
  • Goalkeepers going up for corners.

Even better if they score.

Better still if they go and concede a Claus Jensen winner.
    I remember when Ben Hamer has one cleared off the line in the last minute against Palace the last time we played each other at home
  • A perfectly weighted 1-2.

A tackle where both players go in hard and both get the ball at the same time.

The ‘go on’...then a very brief silence...then ‘yeaaahhhhhh’ from the crowd for a goal.
  • The floodlights going off.

Probably due to someone with a large bet on by all accounts,  but it's still funny.
  • A player getting hit in the nuts. 

Funny for 21 people on the pitch.
  • When I was playing football it was seeing an opposition player wearing brand new Yellow or Orange Nike boots and waiting to see whether they were quality of proper shit. Never any in between. 
  • It’s all the little things you miss the most. 
  • Sponsored links:

•  

Long distance, slow-mo, own goal (like Nabby Sarr’s at Wembley – although for me I felt physically sick at the time for Sunderland fans it must have been great)

Keepers completely misjudging where their own goal is and let a shot in they thought was easily going wide

Ref booking the wrong player

Overzealous linesman throwing his flag away by signaling a throw in with too much force

• Keith doing keepy uppies all the way from the tunnel to the goal, before volleying into the net.
  • 5 B&H in the bogs at HT

• iaitch said:
    Half time scores and your local rivals are losing.
    Especially when they were put up using number boards in front of the stand!
  • When as a boy I used to go with my Dad, he would always produce a pork pie at half time, which I dreaded at the time, but being a silly old sod these days I look back at this with very fond memories. 
  • bobmunro said:
    iaitch said:
    Trouble with those was that they weren't put up till about 4.15.
  • Applauding an opponent who's an England player and just scored or played well in a recent big international game.
  • iaitch said:
    bobmunro said:
    iaitch said:
    Trouble with those was that they weren't put up till about 4.15.

That's because they had to wait for the carrier pigeons to get the scores to the ground. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    The fresh green carpet of turf, glowing in August sunshine on the first home game of the season.
    The orange ball on a snow covered pitch (sadly almost extinct).
    A rattling crossbar.
    A midfielder starting a move deep inside his own half, before eventually arriving late in the oppositions penalty box, to rise high with a running jump, above their centre back and thump a header into the corner of then net.
  • When an opponents intricate and well rehearsed free kick routine goes badly wrong
  • When an opposIng manager or player ‘loses it’ and ends up getting themselves sent off. Extra marks if they lose it further on the way to the tunnel. (Gold standard - Paulo Wanchope)
  • Sending "the big lad" up front for the final few minutes to try and nick a goal when everything else has failed.
  • edited November 2020
    In my distant memory I seem to remember Steve Gritt going in goal and making a few good saves
    Here is a question. I am not sure if it is true but it is possible and I think it might be. Not possible today, but going back to the times when a team was numbered 1 to 11. Is it true that Gritt wore every number for us?

A bit of added nostalgia. It was fun when the bloke put the half time scores up at half time. You needed the programme to identify the match but I used to enjoy predicting the away team score after seeing the home one.

• A nutmeg by the touch line in front of the fans
  • An opponent being proper poleaxed by a hard shot. Bonus point if it’s their nuts 
  • The underdog winning a Cup clash
  • bobmunro said:
    iaitch said:

Sometimes they did get them wrong. Or, more likely, I used to get my letters and the matches mixed up. Most disappointing when you thought that one of the teams that you didn't like 'cos your school mates supported them were losing 2-0 at half time but then found out later from Sports Report on the radio or, if you didn't have one, the "Stop Press" in the Evening News, that they had actually won!

The youngsters on here don't know what they missed!