Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I think LB has worked with them over the international break on a style of play which we saw today, but to me it was a little off. Thought we kept the ball well and got into their half easier than we've done so far this season but we struggled to create chances for 80 mins. As a system I thought it looks like it has potential but maybe it's a case of having to take a step back before we can take a step forward.

As for players, surely Aneke has to be starting games now, he looks electric. Pratley's distribution was excellent. Amos kept us in it. Maatsen had another solid game, shame about his bad pass at the end, you can see how frustrated he was when he threw the ball on the ground. Maddison tried things and was very direct. The strikers in the first half were not involved at all and were very disappointing.

Didn't enjoy that one. But 1-1 with not a single fit CB is not to be sniffed at.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Watsons distribution is poor. 

As a result Shinnie and Maddison come too deep.

Maatsen and Matthews then have limited options going forward.

I think our problems are stemming from that CDM role.
    Perhaps you should let Bowyer know?  :smile:

Not a popular opinion I know, and I may have been spoiled by Bielik/ Cullen last time we were down here. 

However Watson does love a sideways pass a bit too much for me.

The last minute where he decides to pass it 10 yards sideways rather than pumping it into the box to have a go made me laugh. Just feels very negative at times.
  • Options
    Disappointing thought we did enough to win, just. Look far better when Smith and Aneke came on.

Thought Maddison was very greedy hope he improves otherwise can’t see Bowyer putting up with him.

Another god awful ref, apparently gave their pen on advice from 4th official who was 50 yards behind him.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Watsons distribution is poor. 

As a result Shinnie and Maddison come too deep.

Maatsen and Matthews then have limited options going forward.

I think our problems are stemming from that CDM role.
    I thought he was okay today actually. Played some good balls, one with the outside of his foot I particularly rememeber.

Don't think he was the issue, I feel we played the ball to slow, especially in the first half which allowed a Gillingham to sit behind the ball - and credit to them they defended pretty well.

I think we need to learn how to dominate teams who play like that a little more - and in the second half we began to even before the subs - which really changed the game for us. 
  • Options
    We aren't as good as we think we are at times. But we aren't as bad either. We have become effective at getting results by playing a certain way which is built around not conceding.

It isn't a coincidence that we are at our most effective with Aneke on the pitch but when the guy can't ever start we are never going to get the best out of him or the team.
  • Options
    I'm sitting in the waiting room at beckenham hospital waiting for an appointment. 
    It's very quiet in here apart from me getting agitated in the last 5 minutes. 
    Anyway back to the match.
    Another away point gained with our centre backs all missing so I'm not going to complain. 
    Onwards and upwards. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Draw that feels like a loss.  On to the next one.
  • Options
    Hero - Amos. Kept us in it at 0-0 and 1-0. 
    Villain - Gilbery. Soft shot for a sitter at 1-1. 
    We should have won that game. 
    Terrible L1 ref as usual. 
  • Options
    Frustrating. Silly mistakes, not enough control in the first half. Made some chances but not enough considering the quality of opposition. Needed Bogle to do a little more today and passing needed to be better to his feet. Maddison needs to make better decisions and move the ball quicker at times. Penalty was ok, but keeper saved well. Gunter needed to be more careful for theirs. Watson still passes well, but throws the odd mistake in now and then. Hope for better on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Ponderous football to begin with, for all the decent build up play the midfield were too slow, and the forwards weren't at the races either. I don't care if Aneke can't make it through 90 mins, start him and sub him off after an hour when he's scored a brace and we're up 2/3 goals
  • Options
    Hero - Amos. Kept us in it at 0-0 and 1-0. 
    Villain - Gilbery. Soft shot for a sitter at 1-1. 
    We should have won that game. 
    Terrible L1 ref as usual. 
    Hmm... Okay!!
  • Options
    At least I predicted the correct score line 1-1 score draw for the pools coupon. Unfortunately my X wasn’t quite right on spot the ball. Perhaps I will just have to put up with a Range Rover. 😉
  • Options
    Should have won, Gillingham will be happy with a point in their big derby match. Roll on Tuesday night.
  • Options
    2 hours of my life I won't get back, feels like 2 points dropped and might see us out the top 6 by 5pm, but we had the character to get the equaliser which was nice. 

Stand out for today is the referee, who made Trevor Kettle look competent 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Reminder to those getting carried away that we’re actually not as good as some people think we are. We’ll be alright and up there in the mix but we’re going to have to work very hard.
    Everyone will have to... You wont get a team thats going to break away from the rest and win the League comfortably

Football doesnt work like that for some reason (not being sarcastic either here) apart from Liverpool last year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor game. Terrible ref and officials. Gillingham stopped us playing which is predictable, we ought to have enough about us to overcome terrible refereeing and defensive minded physical teams, but we didn't look like it today. Not enough attacking intent, not the fault of Bogle or Washington who I thought worked hard, but the big difference for us was Smyth's pace and Aneke's ability to let the ball stick to him. 
  • Options
    Hate dropping points to teams that play like that. Over confidence on the pre match thread. Goal scoring problem not going away.
    Wait a minute. It's not really the fans' fault that 2 points were dropped today.  

• Options
    That's the last time I pick a Charlton win in the score predictions thread. If we had scored the penalty my 2-1 would have been correct too :angry:
  • Options
    Didn't think we were that bad , just lacked composure in and around the box . Thought Watson had his best game so far  , but Gilbey rusty . Would start Aneke and Smyth on Tuesday . 
  • Options
    Relieved to get a draw but the officials fecked us over. 
    Mind you their penalty caused us to react.
    Probably the right result given the weirdness of the game and that decision.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I’d like to see Maatsen in a more attacking role; he looks dangerous every time he gets the ball in the opposition half. Why can’t Chuks start? Bogle is turning into a more sophisticated version of Josh Parker! Shinnie and Smyth classy in League 1.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Madison. Overrated. No place in that team for an individual.
    Here we go.

• Options
    I’m not sure theirs was a penalty, Gunter had no reason to bring the guy down. But my two thoughts are that we need to do more if we are going to have 70% possession. At least mix it up with some long goal kicks. And why did we take that free kick short in the final minute? Should have pushed everyone up and dropped the kick into the box.
  • Options
    I don’t think Evans should have been allowed to give the penalty via the 4th official. Joke decision.
  • Options
    Makeshift defence, missed penalty, away game against our ‘local rivals’ lol  poor performance, would take a point all day long.