Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    start with chucks and smyth and get the job done - if we had carried on playing we would have scored soon  - with the front 2 who started together, i'm not sure we would have if we played another 90 mins 
  • Options
    Can’t win them all, if you don’t win take a draw, av 2 points a game we go up 👌🤙
  • Options
    Much prefer seeing Chucks coming off the bench, so much more effective
  • Options
    felt like a reverse of many of our earlier games where we didn't have much possession but looked more dangerous and won. Thought we played our best football at times today yet a draw was fair as Jills had as many chances. Gilbey should have done better when Chuks put him through. Amos MoM for me. 

Looked as if the ref took advice from the 4th official for their pen. I don't know the protocol for sure, but didn't think the ref was able to do that? As alluded to above, how much of that was down to Evans in the 4th officials ear?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    What is wrong with our training regime, how many injuries
    have we had as a result of training, it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Maybe a bit like our slow start to the season, the odd reality check like this will hurt and help our season along. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    Yeah, he's not going to start Burton and Ipswich so which would we prefer to see happen?

Start: Burton - Sub: Ipswich
    Sub: Burton - Start: Ipswich

🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Too ponderous,  too much passing around the back & not enough goal threat. Got to be more quick & adventurous. Don't score enough goals to get into the top 2. 

Only positive was coming back from going behind......but still couldn't win it from that position. 18 games & counting  
    If the midfield can't contribute goals on a regular basis I can't see us finishing top 2 because bogle as a goalscorer is a total waste of time, ( yes I know he scored thousands in non league) aneke can't play a full game, Washington has got a few but not sure he'll keep it up, time will tell ( did he play 3 internationals in the last week?). Smyth looks to be a good option off the bench & ups the tempo but again he's not a goalscorer. If TS had come in earlier I'm sure we would have somebody in the BWP / taylor level. Fingers crossed for January.
    Our strikers aren't missing chance after chance though, are they?

Whether it's the movement of the front 2, the areas they are playing in or the midfields fault I don't know. But Morgan, Maddison and Shinnie isn't a negative midfield by any stretch.  Plus 2 attacking full backs.

There have been a few times this season we could have scored and didn't but I can't think of many when a striker should have scored and didn't (penalty obviously but even the best miss sometimes).
  • Options
    The good news now is that with the constant run of games, Bowyer will have less time to injure our players in training  ;)
    Would be funny if it came to light that 80% of our injuries these past two season arose from the gaffer putting in some "over zealous" challenges in training!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    The good news now is that with the constant run of games, Bowyer will have less time to injure our players in training  ;)
    Would be funny if it came to light that 80% of our injuries these past two season arose from the gaffer putting in some "over zealous" challenges in training!
    I dont think I'd be surprised in the slightest lol!... Wasnt there a piece that either the BBC or SKY did on Lee Bowyer as a Manager which showed him making quite a rough challenge in training?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Too ponderous,  too much passing around the back & not enough goal threat. Got to be more quick & adventurous. Don't score enough goals to get into the top 2. 

Only positive was coming back from going behind......but still couldn't win it from that position. 18 games & counting  
    If the midfield can't contribute goals on a regular basis I can't see us finishing top 2 because bogle as a goalscorer is a total waste of time, ( yes I know he scored thousands in non league) aneke can't play a full game, Washington has got a few but not sure he'll keep it up, time will tell ( did he play 3 internationals in the last week?). Smyth looks to be a good option off the bench & ups the tempo but again he's not a goalscorer. If TS had come in earlier I'm sure we would have somebody in the BWP / taylor level. Fingers crossed for January.

Whether it's the movement of the front 2, the areas they are playing in or the midfields fault I don't know. But Morgan, Maddison and Shinnie isn't a negative midfield by any stretch.  Plus 2 attacking full backs.

There have been a few times this season we could have scored and didn't but I can't think of many when a striker should have scored and didn't (penalty obviously but even the best miss sometimes).
    There were time though when dangerous crosses came in, with nobody on the end of them. 

The goal poacher tap ins which look easy, but only arise due to the striker being in the right place
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MattF said:
    Yeah, he's not going to start Burton and Ipswich so which would we prefer to see happen?

Start: Burton - Sub: Ipswich
    Sub: Burton - Start: Ipswich

🤷‍♀️
    Sub Burton and Ipswich, seems to work better as a game opens up a bit
    and start with Smyth in place of Bogle
  • Options
    Best we’ve played in possession 
  • Options
    Gillingham. Yuck. Ah well, how many other teams can go into match with no fit centre halves ready to start and walk away disappointed that they didn't win? I think that says a lot about where we are already this season which is a great sing. Very worried to hear about Inniss potentially being out for a while. While I think Famewo is a better player than Inniss, I also think that Pearce is a very capable back-up whereas I'd rather we didn't have to play Deji at centre back at all this season. If Inniss looks like he's going to be out for quite a while then we're going to have to look to pick someone up to replace him in January pretty sharpish. Good to see Chuks score again, hope he can get to a point where he can start regularly soon. We still haven't lost in 10,000 years and we're still games in hand. Things are still rosy
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

There were time though when dangerous crosses came in, with nobody on the end of them. 

The goal poacher tap ins which look easy, but only arise due to the striker being in the right place
    Of course your right but I think there is a bigger problem with our midfield creating chances. Which is hard to understand why, when you look at our midfielders.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

An under par performance from us and, given that we missed a penalty and conceded a soft one in the second half, I’m happy with a point. Gillingham were awkward opponents, well organised and drilled and I thought they played some decent football in the first half.

Despite a trio of good long range efforts from Maddison, Watson and Shinnie, we were second best in the first half and indebted to Amos for keeping us on level terms. We had very little play in the final third and Bogle and Washington looked a little toothless.

We were much better in the second half, although the penalty (which looked justified to me) was a gut punch and understandably gave Gillingham a big lift for the next 10 or 15 minutes or so. They looked comfortable but the introduction of Aneke turned the tide. Some great composure and calmness in the box from Smyth put Chuks in for a deserved equaliser. 

I thought that Amos (for those first half saves), Albie (the pick of our midfield) and Chuks were the pick of our players. Not a happy day for Marcus Maddison, although he’ll hopefully sharpen up and integrate into the team in short order.

• Options
    MattF said:
    What is wrong with our training regime, how many injuries
    have we had as a result of training, it's ridiculous.

Please check out Ryan Inniss injury CV as presented earlier before he ever set put at Sparrows lane.
  • Options
    Bowyer’s full press conference is available for Valley Pass subscribers and those who purchased a live video pass for Saturday’s game. 
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fb9356029fa1/bowyer-its-another-three-points-that-we-wanted-but-one-point-is-better-than-none
  • Options
    I thought Gillingham number 3 (Connor Ogilvie) looked a very good player with a dangerous long throw
  • Options
    Chuks may well start on Tuesday but will he make as much impact? Don't think he did himself too many favours when he faded so badly v Plymouth. 

Having said that, could we not play a 442 with Aneke up front with Washington? Morgan on the right, Smyth on the left, Shinnie and Watson in the middle. Good players like Maddison and Gilbey to come on if needed. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Ahead of 18/19 and the 2 points per game target. Not quite as impressive as 11/12 due to our perfect start with 3 wins in 3.

Still top on PPG by the looks of it too?
  • Options
    vff said:
    Evans the most deluded manager ever - reckons that Gillingham bossed the second half and should have had 3 points. Gillingham barely had a kick in the first 20 minutes of the second half.
    To be fair though we didnt do anything with it either, Gillingham up until their goal were dangerous when they got it back and hit us on the counter, as we did too much passing around in front of them - I honestly wasnt surprised that they took the lead, was just the manner that annoyed me
    I am guessing that Evans made the comments for his players confidence.

In the first half of the second half, a few hopeful long punts was all. When Lee Bowyer made the triple substitution, Aneke charged through the Gillingham defence and set up Alex Gilbey. A fit Alex Gibley would have scored that.  Looking back at the replay, the Gillingham player tripped himself up. That penalty was a complete joke. It is true though that you have to take your chances and score when on top.

Gillingham pushed up on Charlton, particularly in the first half that disrupted Charlton's passing in the final third and had a couple of chances but no way deserved to win the game.

Lee Bowyer thought Charlton deserved 3 points but looked relaxed with the outcome. He said both penalties were soft. He praised Charlton's passing and the team combining together. 

At least the team had the character to get the equalizer. Unbeaten in 8.