Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 24th November | Kick-Off: 19.00pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Ollie Yates (Staffordshire) - Previously officiated Charlton against Wigan in our 1-0 victory in October.

Introduction
The Addicks unbeaten run was extended after the most recent international break with a point away at Gillingham on Saturday, that unbeaten run now sits at 8 games. All the more impressive when you consider the new players having to gel and the fact that we started the game without a recognised centre-back. Whilst the game was described by Bowyer as, 'crazy', it most certainly feels like two points dropped. On another day, the incredible efforts in the first half as well the penalty would've gone in and we come back up the A2 with all 3 points. Instead, the search for our next 3 points begins with a trip up the M1 on Tuesday evening, away at Burton Albion.

Opposition
Manager: Jake Buxton (7.7% win rate)
Stadium: Pirelli Stadium
League Position: 24th | Last 6: LLDLDD
Nickname(s): The Brewers

Burton Albion played Northampton Town at home on Saturday where they lost 3-1, their last line-up was:

Garrett
Eardley | Brayford | Bostwick | Gallacher
Gilligan | Quinn | Edwards
Vassilev | Akins | Ennis

The Brewers have experienced a torrid start to the season, finding themselves sitting bottom of the league. The poor start has included a number of players and staff testing positive for COVID-19 earlier on in the month; the identities of those were not revealed, but it can be assumed from who has since not been involved. Former Addick Luke Varney has been missing alongside fellow striker Kane Hemmings since the news was broken. Yet, Burton Albion have been made to continue to play. They have since lost away to Hull City, 2-0, and most recently a 3-1 reverse at home against Northampton Town. For new manager, Jack Buxton, it's proving to be a real uphill battle - but was this always likely to happen? Ex-manager Nigel Clough left the club in May to help them financially get through the pandemic, but it was the son of Brian who guided Burton to their most successful period in their history. Taking over from another former Charlton striker, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - who won League Two with the Staffordshire club - Clough managed to maintain the momentum and guide them to promotion to The Championship. However, for a club that was established in 1950, Burton have only spent 12 years in The Football League, all coming since their promotion from the Conference back in 2008/09. So to even be competing at this level should be seen as quite an achievement for a club of their stature.

Form wise, the two sides couldn't be any different. We have won 6 of our last 7 whilst Burton have only won 1 game in the league so far this season. That win came all the way back on 19th September against Accrington Stanley - Brayford scored a late winner to make it 2-1. For a club who have been vocal in their struggles throughout this year, they were also knocked out of the FA Cup First Round by non-league North London side, Barnet, who spent half the game with 10 men. Missing out on a good opportunity to inject some much needed cash into the club would've hurt. What makes their form even harder to digest for The Brewers supporters, is that their most recent home fixtures have been against Rochdale, AFC Wimbledon, Blackpool, and Northampton; only picking up a solitary point against The Wombles in October. After they face Charlton, their December includes fixtures against Sunderland, Ipswich, Doncaster, and Lincoln. It wouldn't be too harsh to say being bottom by Christmas is a real possibility for Burton.

However, like every club in this division, they will have players who can hurt us and cause us problems. We must take them seriously and not get complacent, even if this is a fixture we have to be winning if we are serious ourselves about promotion. Stephen Quinn sitting in central midfield has shown over the years his quality on the ball. The diminutive Irishman was once a Chris Powell transfer target when the great man guided us to The Championship. Niall Ennis is on loan from Wolves, the young striker is yet to score for Burton Albion this season, but featured heavily for Doncaster Rovers last season. Whereas Lucas Akins is a bit of legend up in Burton, scoring regularly enough to get double figures at this level pretty much every season (he got 8 last season, so likely would've got 10+ if wasn't for lockdown). 

Charlton Team News
The Charlton injury theme continues, it's almost like the players are playing a game of 'tag, you're it!'. Maybe we could have a word and say enough now boys, fancy giving that one a rest for a while? Just as we welcome Jason Pearce and Alex Gilbey back into the squad, we learn that Ryan Inniss has picked up a quad injury in training by making a simple 10-yard pass. The length of time the monstrous centre-back is likely to be out for has not been disclosed, but it would be wise to assume it's likely to be until around Christmas time. Forster-Caskey missed Saturday's trip to Gillingham nursing a minor hamstring injury, whilst Jonny Williams returned from international duty with Wales with a groin strain.

In good news, Gilbey came on in the 67th minute against The Gills, and although was a bit rusty, he will add another option for Bowyer in midfield ahead of this busy schedule. Pearce and Oshilaja got 60 minutes for the U23s on Tuesday, so you can assume the skipper will likely come back into the side, whilst Oshilaja could return to the squad for the first time since the beginning of October. That leaves Bowyer with a decision to make in who partners Pearce at centre back. Is Oshilaja fit enough to start? Gunter has performed admirably at centre back, almost like he has played there all his life, whilst Pratley is very competent at centre back too. If Gunter partners Pearce, it means Matthews plays at right back, which I am not convinced he will start 3 games in a week just yet. The game is likely to come too soon for Williams, who I am sure will be targeting a return against one of his former sides, Ipswich Town, on Saturday. Paul Smyth and Chuks Aneke came off the bench and proved to be the difference on Saturday, with the latter scoring the equaliser, assisted by the former. It would again be wise to assume they could both come in for Bogle and Washington as the strikers are rotated.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Purrington, Oshilaja, Gilbey, Washington, Bogle

Prediction
Another away trip for us, but one where the fellow promotion chasers have far tougher games on paper. If we are to kick on again and go on another winning run, Tuesday is the perfect opportunity for it. Burton are wounded right now, suffering from a lack of options and a run of poor results. Bowyer will be looking for the players to sharpen up in front of goal and put them to the sword, and I think we might just do that.

Burton Albion 0-3 Charlton Athletic
Aneke
Maddison
Bogle

Comments

• More than enough in our squad to earn the three points and I think we’ll be more than up for bagging a few after Gillingham. 4-1 with Bogle, Maddison, Shinnie and Aneke scoring the goals.
  • One of those matches where you have target 3 points, anything else will be disappointing. 

Nothing against Burton who have overachieved massively in the last 5 years but they are going down this season and we need to win these type of matches.

0-2
    Maddison & Shinnie
  • I think we should be able to grind out a win, but I don't expect it to be at all comfy whilst we try and build a bit of momentum again
  • Expect a 2-0 win. Will be very disappointed if we don't win given the form Burton are in.
  • Agree Maddison likely to get on scoresheet ... 1-3 to the Addicks 
  • We were unlucky against the Gills , but things don't always go your way especially in League one  . I think we  will bounce back with a convincing win on Tuesday  , where I hope Aneke and Smyth start .
  • Good preview Sage , 2 - 0 to us , Bogle gets of the mark and Aneke with the other.
  • Whilst expecting a typical Charlton kick in the cods result yesterday I was pleasantly surprised we showed the fortitude to draw with the Medway Caravan Club.  Other times we would of huffed and puffed and embarassed ourselves, lets face it.

Tuesday on the face of it should be 3 points but past hauntings and let downs still temper my judgement.

However, 0-1 to the Addicks.

• Sponsored links:

• Are the players Burton have had missing due to Covid going to be back in time for Tuesday? If not then we should be looking to win this comfortably. If some are back then it'll be a bit tougher but ultimately for a team aiming for promotion, anything less than 3 points here will be a bad result.
  • Burton's COVID announcement was made on the 11th, so assuming that's the day the tests came back then it's unlikely those players will be involved
  • edited November 2020
    MattF said:
    Burton's COVID announcement was made on the 11th, so assuming that's the day the tests came back then it's unlikely those players will be involved
    Yes, you would assume their isolation period finishes Wednesday, where they’re likely to have another test. Return to training on Thursday..?
  • Good preview as always. That's the line up I would go with. 2-0 Charlton. Maddison & Chuck's.
  • This is Charlton. If you’ve supported them for longer than 12 months then you know what that means.

0-1
    I'm leaning hard into your reverse-jinx energy. Good work.
  • 5 covid returning players were in their squad on Saturday, leaving just 2 self isolating.  Hemmings is out injured.  Bowyer will rotate with Ipswich on the horizon,  so I expect this to be a tough game. As always, we score first we win. Go behind, I just don't fancy us due to a lack of fire power. 
  • This is a game we will win, and i am going for a good 0-3 result,
    we need to start with Washington/Smyth, and get the benefit of 
    "The Beast" Chuks coming on as a 2nd half impact sub rather than
    as a starter
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 - 1 win after going behind.

Bogle winner in the last 10 mins
  • If we have dreams of promotion we need to be winning at Burton, especially with the luck and run they are on.
  • many said that we would beat the Gills by a few goals - we didn't and will we do that to the Brewers a 0-1 if lucky
  • Superb preview. 

Not often you see Luke Varney, Jimmy Floyd Cashinthebank and Nigel Clough mentioned in the same paragraph.  

They are desperate.  We don't score very often. 

• I think Gunter & Washington will be rested for this & come back into the team for Ipswich away. Can see Pearce and Smyth starting in their places and possibly Aneke with Bogle rested with the other plays from saturday keeping their places. Lets hope Pearce can score at Burton midweek again as per two years ago. Hoping for three points and no new injuries.
  • Good preview as usual @Sage
    After the break we just had, I thought we’d beat the gills comfortably, that slap of reality should be enough for our boys to work a little harder, play smarter and with burton being so poor, get the likes of bogle on the shore sheet. 
    1-3, bogle to score at least 1. 
  • Amos
    Matthews, Pratley, Pearce, Maatsen
    Watson
    Gilbey, Shinnie
    Maddison, Aneke, Smyth

433 for this one reckon the plan will be to finish them off early and get key players off, Pratley and a rest is just not meant to be, perfect game to throw Pearce back into the mix, Gunter given a rest, maybe even Maatsen but I don’t think Purrington gets anywhere near Maatsen for quality so not as likely, Gilbey same as Pearce perfect game for him.  As a few have stated, we are overdue to give someone a spanking.  There’s a chance this could be it and we head into Ipswich beaming.  0-3 Aneke, Shinnie, Bogle.
  • In games like this I'd quite like to see Maatsen further up the pitch. With so many CBs out, shame we canmot easily resort to 352.
  • 4-0 ... cruise control 
  • Great preview as ever. Got the score and result horribly wrong last time so not predicting anything. We should have more than enough to win this comfortably but I’d settle for a Bowyer 0-1 away special. I just want the points and the focus to remain on automatic promotion from this league.