Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    mascot88 said:
    4-0 ... cruise control 

That scoreline is taken !

What about 0-4  ;) easy
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Alarm bells ringing if we don’t win this. Burton are no mugs but you’ve got to be getting 3 points here if you want to get promoted automatically.

Ideally you wouldn’t change the team too much but with Ipswich at the weekend it’s best to keep things fresh(ish).

Have you got Levitt and Pratley in the wrong positions?, everyone on here says levitt cannot tackle, so not ideal for a CB or CDM
    Yeah it’s CDM not CB, it does look misleading. I’ve put him there so he has a chance to dictate play from deep. Pratley is more than capable of being a ball winner slightly further up, he’s played right side of the diamond multiple times - although I do prefer him at the base. 

I’m trying to squeeze Levitt in because if he can’t get a game against bottom of the league he’s hardly going to play against anyone else. 
    I would agree that if you can't play Levitt against the top sides, and can't play him against the big physical Route 1 sides, that doesn't leave many games where you would play him, Burton surely being one of them
    Why can't Levitt play against the top sides? He plays against far superior players regularly for Wales 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ross1 said:
    Alarm bells ringing if we don’t win this. Burton are no mugs but you’ve got to be getting 3 points here if you want to get promoted automatically.

Ideally you wouldn’t change the team too much but with Ipswich at the weekend it’s best to keep things fresh(ish).

Have you got Levitt and Pratley in the wrong positions?, everyone on here says levitt cannot tackle, so not ideal for a CB or CDM
    Yeah it’s CDM not CB, it does look misleading. I’ve put him there so he has a chance to dictate play from deep. Pratley is more than capable of being a ball winner slightly further up, he’s played right side of the diamond multiple times - although I do prefer him at the base. 

I’m trying to squeeze Levitt in because if he can’t get a game against bottom of the league he’s hardly going to play against anyone else. 
    I would agree that if you can't play Levitt against the top sides, and can't play him against the big physical Route 1 sides, that doesn't leave many games where you would play him, Burton surely being one of them
    Levitt's route to the side is impressing from the bench or an injury crisis. It isn't that he can't play against the best sides, but that he isn't our best option at the moment. I'd stick with Maddison for tomorrow. I think he needs games. Williams hopefully can get some minutes from the bench, same with Pearce. I'd like to see Morgan start again.

I would also like to see how Bogle and Aneke work together. Nobody will know, including LB, until we try it. This might be a good game to test it.   
  • Options
    Burtons team will be interesting they had 5 players returning from isolation on Saturday. But, obviously those guys had been at home training in the garden I assume. They would have been off the pace, and out of touch with squad. They also had 3 seniors out injured and another out suspended. There is obviously scope for an improved Burton performance. However, even with their best available we should expect to win this, if top 6 is truly realistic and comfortably so, if top 2. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ross1 said:

Why can't Levitt play against the top sides? He plays against far superior players regularly for Wales 
    Having watched a couple of Wales games when he's featured, he's not impressed. Most Wales fans feel he's been promoted to the Welsh team far too early
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ross1 said:

Having watched a couple of Wales games when he's featured, he's not impressed. Most Wales fans feel he's been promoted to the Welsh team far too early
    The question though would be whether, say, Hull's midfield even remotely compares to the international midfields he's been pitted against
  • Options
    A game we ought to win, but we usually make heavy weather of this sort of game. However, we should have enough. After a dodgy 30 minutes, we will run them ragged and win 1-0 with a fortuitously deflected own goal.
  • Options
    ..I've a funny felling Levitt might come in for Wotto. 
  • Options
    In games like this against teams who will sit back, we need pace as well as guile. I think Maatsen should play left wing or left side of the diamond, with Purrington behind him. Our other midfielders are all  too one paced.
    I would also want Smyth up front instead of Washington for the same reason.
  • Options
    Could be the same starting line up as at Gillingham.

Need to be winning these games if we are going straight back up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Southbank said:
    In games like this against teams who will sit back, we need pace as well as guile. I think Maatsen should play left wing or left side of the diamond, with Purrington behind him. Our other midfielders are all  too one paced.

Smyth has done fine but Washington is  1 goal every 3 games, Smyth is 1 goal every 12 games. Can't see how that is like for like? I like Paul but we need goal scorers up front. I prefer Smyth out wide making assists.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    My game of ‘We must win games like this’ and ‘it’s a must win’ Bingo is doing very well on this pre match thread. 

We’re evens to win this one with the bookies which seems like very generous odds against a team that can’t buy a result, hugely depleted and just got thumped by Northampton against a team who’ve got the best defence in the league and are on a run of 20 points out of 22. 

I’d imagine a similar approach to the game as we saw against Gillingham where we focus on possession and playing through the lines with hopefully a little more end product.

Not sure we’re at the stage where we’re comfortable enough in our own game to be thinking of thumpings but I’m sure we’ll have to much for a spirited Burton side.
  • Options
    Lose this, win to Ipswich and with Gillingham that's 4pts out of 9pts and about what I expected from those three fixtures.
  • Options
    Think the OP has got the line up I would go for.

Freshen it up top., Keep Madison in. Bring in Pearce
    The only possible difference is bring Matthews  in for Gunter, purely.because poor old Gunts hasn't had a breather since he arrived what with the internationals

• Options
    Southbank said:
    They don’t really sit back, they play 4-3-3.
  • Options
    We haven't lost in 7 whereas Burton have won only once in that period. Mr Negative here says Burton will win......because that's the Charlton way. 

1-0 to the home side.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    ross1 said:

The question though would be whether, say, Hull's midfield even remotely compares to the international midfields he's been pitted against
    But Johnny Williams got "judged" playing against Kalvin Phillips and Harry Winks...... 
  • Options
    Repeat of the 1950s cup match at the Valley 7-0,the first cup match I saw at Charlton.no floodlights,crowd lighting newspapers as it got dark.Never forget the Burton supporters putting a giant beer bottle in the centre circle before the game,crowd probably over 30000,those were the days when the cup meant something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    too many injuries are continually making life difficult for Bowyer to field his strongest eleven,  luckily we now have strength in depth although the attrition rate for our central defenders needs looking at and we might need to bring in half a dozen 5s or 6s in January

poor old Burton after a few decent years punching well above their weight the club seems to have run out of puff .. so far this season they have conceded an average two goals a game and this will continue tonight .. League One Table - Football - BBC Sport

Burton Albion 0 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    Bit of a struggle but 1-2 and a nice win before Saturday. 
  • Options
    Kane Hemmings out will be a big miss for them, and without him it is difficult to see where the goals will be coming from.
    We should be on the front foot from kick off and not let them think for a second that they could get anything from the game.
  • Options
    Burton are run on a very tight budget, the reality is that there is a massive financial gap between the clubs.

Nigel Clough had them punching above their weight, but under rookie manager Jake Buxton that's no longer the case
  • Options
    Can see set pieces as Burtons main plan. They will have worked hard on them as goals from open play are seemingly hard to come by. Our makeshift central defence will need to be right on their game. Think Burton will score a goal but we will score two. 
  • Options
    Hope has gained some pessimism.
    i notice we had this ref for the Wigan game and the stat bank score was 4.39.

Got a 0-0 or 1-1 cheated by the ref written all over it.
  • Options
    Always a potential banana skin when we play teams on an awful winless run. Especially when we are so long unbeaten. I fear our makeshift defence and lack of goal threat will render us toothless and vulnerable at the back. Burton have earned their right to play in league one so they will give it their all. Despite our form it still seems that we aren't really set up to win big. 

A tight affair 1-0 either way.
  • Options
    Early days in the league still but we should be expected to have enough quality in our squad to beat them, but then again we thought we would turn up and play Gillingham off the park.
  • Options
    We win......anything else would be a huge disappointment.