Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov 2020

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Great win but slightly worried we have 2 forwards injured, 1 who needs to be managed through 90 mins and another who is still getting to fitness. Stay amongst it and the transfer window could be exciting.
    Only 5 weeks until the window opens
  • Options
    Great win and nice looking at the League Table after we gain places with the game in hand. Isn’t that 8 away games out of 13 played 
  • Options
    If there was something rotten in the state of Denmark after the last two games, there is something worse in the county of Suffolk and the town of Ipswich.
    We fashioned a pretty honest and committed reaction, but there was less to beat than i was expecting before the game.
    Still we're a work in progress, and goodness knows if we will ever have a settled and consistent team on the pitch, too many round pegs remain in square holes, and too many other pegs await repair. In the light of our player choice problems, and the impetus we had before the international break, Lee Bowyer and the management team are getting back into the groove...today with credit.
    We are about three points ahead of the target equivalent of win at home draw away, which will be a bigger factor as fans are allowed back into grounds, and by my reckoning 8 more wins to avoid relegation.
    I sense Lambert's days are numbered.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I found him hard to understand, too.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    I got bored and stopped listening after a couple of minutes. 
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Addickted said:
    I got bored and stopped listening after a couple of minutes. 
    Doesn't hold one's interest does he?
  • Options
    Ps. Glad Bows listened to me & went with starting with Aneke rather than bringing him on in the 2nd half. The stats between us scoring first & going on to win to conceding first & losing would make interesting reading. 

And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is Aneke, my Chosen One; listen to me!”

Lee 9:35
  • Options
    congrats to Conor Gallagher on his premier league goal helping WBA to their first league win his being the only goal
    While I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, what has that got to do with the Ipswich v Charlton post match thread? 

Oops sorry was bouncing back and forth from Conor Gallagher thread and post match thread hit wrong thread
  • Options
    Fantastic start under our new dear leader Craig Freeman. 
    Was he at the game?
    On reflection, he probably didn’t even know we were playing!

Busy picking out his Range Rover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone on earlier page said:
    ''Commentators making out he'd snapped his ankle. Poor from them''.

They were sitting behind an iron girder (so they said)!
    Albie and Watson men of the match. We are always better when 
    Jonny starts imho.
    The commentators don't have a monitor and the player was surrounded by people whilst being treated.
  • Options
    What a pleasure to get that result after the last couple of shit matches .
    it makes me read the whole thread rather than skim through it and I do find I’m not in a rush to unload my anger on to the post match thread rather than the family(weirdo) it scares me how index linked my mood is to this poxy football club . No wonder I’m a miserable Cnut most of the time .

That completed a miserable November for Ipswich with 1 win and 5 losses,  albeit 2 of them in cup matches .
    They looked weaker and weaker as the game went on .
    Stronger finishers will punish our makeshift centre half pairing but it is what it is and we’ll take what we can grab .
    That was a very good workmanlike performance and just what the doctor ordered .
    Looks like we might have to grind promotion out in 2nd gear with our injury record and made of glass squad . 
    Bogles moodiness at his goal doesn’t inspire me to his current mindset , I expect the same reaction from Maddison’s first league goal .

10%   Automatic promotion 
    75%  Play offs 
    15%   7th-12th
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Getting 70 minutes out of Aneke, don't mess around at the back, and surprise surprise we go back to looking like one of the strongest outfits in the division.

4 points out of 9 is not a great return this week so it's important to get another 3 points on Wednesday. 
    We'd obviously have wanted more at the start of the week but 4 points isn't a disaster. Yesterday saved the week really.

Next 6 games are all 'easier' fixtures so we just need to make sure we go on a little run again. 14 points minimum from the next 6 games and we'll be sitting very nicely up there before the tougher run of 3 games against Peterborough, Hull and Accrington.

Our problem is that the easier games are where we seem to come undone so Bowyer needs to address that. We've taken 10 points from 12 against Sunderland, Pompey, Fleetwood and Ipswich so if we can sort it out v the so-called lesser sides we'll be well on the way to promotion.
  • Options

Jonny starts imho.
    Don’t they have screens as well?
    Not normally.
    Why not?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Jonny starts imho.
    The commentators don't have a monitor and the player was surrounded by people whilst being treated.
    I have to admit I thought it was a bit odd when the commentator diagnosed a broken ankle, probably just a heat of the moment thing.
  • Options
    i'd just like to say that 'The Gladiator has entered the arena' - If Chucks stays fit all season, he will become one of the most sought after centre forwards in the country - i'm convinced that nonsense about him being a number 10 or tip of the diamond thing was only coz Taylor was number 9. He's got a bit of everything in his locker, we just have to keep all his muscles in working order.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd just like to say that 'The Gladiator has entered the arena' - If Chucks stays fit all season, he will become one of the most sought after centre forwards in the country - i'm convinced that nonsense about him being a number 10 or tip of the diamond thing was only coz Taylor was number 9. He's got a bit of everything in his locker, we just have to keep all his muscles in working order.
    Think you're right. Just because a forward likes the ball to feet and can run with it, he's a No.10. No he's not....he's an effective target man, which additional attributes. 
  • Options
    Aneke wins far more headers than I was expecting and seems to have developed that side of his game. Not quite at Yann and Bartlett (and Tees by all accounts) levels but a great outlet to have. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Bowyer went back to basics today, defenders do defending an not try to play football between themselves, and everyone else do what there supposed to do. Simple and effective. Surprise surprise it worked!!. Thought Albie was first class today covered every blade as they say.Also think jonnie Williams did ok. But generally good and professional all round, what the hell was Tuesday all about!!!. C’mon you reds!!.
    Ipswich were always going to make a game of it and as a result create more space for the likes of Shinnie | Morgan | Williams to exploit

What we need to learn from Lincoln and Burton is how to beat the teams that'll crowd out our creative players, who'll give no space so that when we pump it long, they themselves can pick up the second balls or if we play it to feet ensure that we dont have options to get it round them - I worry at times that if we play too much long ball against the majority of sides in this Division then we're lowering ourselves to their tactics a bit much
    Bob Paisley once said "Its not the long ball or the short ball,its the right ball"all the time we have a target man like Aneke we should use him.Also look at the amount of long balls Liverpool play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a sign of how good Aneke is in the air, that the 2 Ipswich centre halves stopped even trying to compete with him 
  • Options
    Aneke can do it all really. Highly impressed. Need to make the most of him as there's a big different in intensity/body's requirements between L1 and Championship.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Bound up with a work deadline yesterday so didn’t even dare look at the score before collapsing into sleep. As it is I’ve enjoyed a splendidly leisurely read of all the press articles and a thorough read of the in game and post match thread.

I will also admit to sneaking looks at the table every 15 mins just to check it’s not lying.

The re-assuring tweets from cafcSUPPORTERStrust, Lauren and BenjyN’s excellent article about the position with PE’s mate the Dental Accountant have only added to the smile. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Great win but slightly worried we have 2 forwards injured, 1 who needs to be managed through 90 mins and another who is still getting to fitness. Stay amongst it and the transfer window could be exciting.
    Three forwards if you include Smyth, when we hear the extent of his injury from yesterday :/
  • Options
    https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/stu-says-ipswich-2-charlton-0-1-6947583

Very good analysis on Ipswich in this local paper article, pretty damning really
  • Options
    It is unfair to call Aneke a big lump as there is a very gifted footballer in there too. But he is a handful for defenders. He played a major part in both goals. 
  • Options