Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The future of Cinema?

Warner Bros. will release its entire 2021 slate of films on HBO Max the same day they hit theaters, including Dune, Matrix 4, Mortal Kombat, Godzilla vs. Kong, The Suicide Squad, Tom & Jerry, so many more.

With this plus other streaming sites such as Disney + and Netflix releasing films at the same time as the cinema release date; is this the beginning of the end for the cinema? 

Comments

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Cinema is great but it is far too expensive when compared to the streaming services and other outlets.
  • Options
    No.

We've already been there with the video.
  • Options
    Depends how much they charge for streaming i suppose. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Our local cinema is a Fiver for both adults and kids 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Trouble this'll create is the speed you'll get copies on torrenting websites etc.

Likes of Warner Bros will equally lose a lot of money this way - I suppose the question is, do they just continue to wait and get no money, or do they do this and at least get something from the people who will pay to stream
  • Options

Cinema mostly makes money from concession stands nowadays rather than actually paying to see the films. 
  • Options
    Won't last, PR stunt to get subscribers. They'd lose a lot of money in the long run playing that game.
  • Options
    Ultimately cinema is just glorified television. Bigger screens, better sound systems and 'a night out' as a part of the offering are essentially all that differentiates it. Counter that to the high cost of going to a cinema, the inflexibility of the occasion and the often shitty experience of having to share the auditorium with rank morons and it's not always the best value recreation. Home entertainment systems have improved greatly over recent years, companies have found ways of directly monetising the home viewing experience and have found that there's less risk to them in broadcasting than there is in event organisation. 

I wouldn't say it's the end for cinema. Some people clearly love it and I reckon there'll be a big temporary renaissance once we finally make Covid a thing of the past, but I think ultimately there'll be fewer, smaller cinemas. Perhaps quite niche in what they show and hopefully (though I'm not holding my breath) shorter on mindless 'blockbuster' trash.  
  • Options
    Christopher Nolan making 3-hour films about people walking through the internet holding big guns
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've rarely been to the cinema since they got rid of the double seats in the back row  :D

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Cinema is great but it is far too expensive when compared to the streaming services and other outlets.
    I don’t think it is. For me it’s a completely different way of watching something and I love the whole experience. 

Although that experience has to include clean, comfy seating and good food options. At home on the sofa is preferable to Odeon/Vue/Cineworld. 

There was a brilliant cinema just outside Bradford that I loved when I was in Leeds. Picturehouse Greenwich is a decent alternative. 
  • Options
    It's not the same as video, as the studios now own the stack end to end, so can keep the money for themselves, and not have to lose a slice to the cinema chains 
  • Options
    I suppose the issue is now that with Sky + BT Sport + Netflix + Amazon + Disney Plus + Britbox etc. 

Is there really much of a saving over the traditional model of watching television + film? Seems like every individual film company will have their own streaming service in the future. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It's not the same as video, as the studios now own the stack end to end, so can keep the money for themselves, and not have to lose a slice to the cinema chains 
    And us, the consumers don’t even have to walk down to the nearest Blockbuster to rent the video.
    We’ll receive the film immediately by the press of a button.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Was discussing this with a friend earlier, he thinks it's a great idea but I personally disagree. I much prefer watching films on the big screen.

Cinemas provids a much better experience for some films too, 1917 being a recent example.
  • Options
    The biggest winner in this however is Amazon, as most of the streaming services use AWS, and I suspect Amazon are rinsing everyone 
  • Options
    Many cinemas, like the big department stores -BHS and now Debenhams will never recover. Netflix, Amazon showing movies which people can watch at home on 50-inch TV's and online shopping have changed our lives for good. A great shame for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Joker was the last film I see at the cinema. Although I dont go that often, watching a film at home doesnt come close to watching a film in the cinema.
  • Options
    My Mum, who will be 90 next month, grew up in Woolwich.
    She told that when she was young there were 5 cinemas in Woolwich.
    The Odeon, The Hippodrome (which later became the ABC/Regal), The Granada, The Century and The Empire.
    How many of those are still operating now?
    When I were a lad there was just the first three left. 
  • Options
    when I real big blockbuster comes out I still love watching films at the cinema.

next one I'd probably see would be the new James Bond - it's just not quite the same on your TV in your front room
  • Options
    I hope not. Do enjoy visiting the cinema and pleased we have a big cineworld near me. Probably wouldn’t go if I had to travel 20+ miles to my nearest one. 
  • Options
    I used to go at least twice a week to the cinema - much prefer it to watching films on TV. Can't see most cinemas surviving now.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I don’t think it is. For me it’s a completely different way of watching something and I love the whole experience. 

Although that experience has to include clean, comfy seating and good food options. At home on the sofa is preferable to Odeon/Vue/Cineworld. 

There was a brilliant cinema just outside Bradford that I loved when I was in Leeds. Picturehouse Greenwich is a decent alternative. 
    It’s definitely the type of cinema you visit these days that gives the experience. Used to watch a film every Wednesday at Picturehouse Greenwich with my ex and always had an enjoyable experience. On the rare occasion now that I’ll join mates at the Cineworld in O2, I’ll likely enjoy the film, but the experience probably 2/10, due to other people in the screen behaving as if they’re in there living room. 
  • Options
    Nice that you stayed friends with your ex and went cinema together 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Nice that you stayed friends with your ex and went cinema together 
    Well, I walked in to that one. 
  • Options
    Cinema all the way. There’s nothing like it.
  • Options
    No because you could wait for things to come out on the small screen anyway previously, cinemas make their money on popcorn not movie tickets, they will charge a premium for these movies, the pandemic will end and people like going out/cinema experience, it doesn’t matter that they own the full stack or not they still controlled the distribution/licensing, rights etc etc