Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The future of Cinema?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Was discussing this with a friend earlier, he thinks it's a great idea but I personally disagree. I much prefer watching films on the big screen.

Cinemas provids a much better experience for some films too, 1917 being a recent example.
    I saw this for the first time yesterday.  Man alive, what a film. 
  • Options
    the future is bleak .. there are still countless old abandoned 'listed' cinemas in high streets serving as showrooms, warehouses, charity shops .. there will soon be hundreds in out of town locations, redundant complexes, multi screens that no one is allowed to attend ..Netflix, Amazon is the future
  • Options
    Been a lot of new cinemas opened in last 5 years. New one being built in Sidcup High St, opens Apr 2022. 

• Options
    Been a lot of new cinemas opened in last 5 years. New one being built in Sidcup High St, opens Apr 2022. 

Let's hope it doesn't become a big white elephant and that the nation wide vaccination programme will allow a return to 'old fashioned' semi normality before much longer
  • Options
    I think it will go a similar way to pubs / micropubs, much smaller venues, limited to 1 or 2 screens
  • Options
    It is definitely the experience. It isn't cheap but compared to some other forms of entertainment it is relatively cheap. I suspect that when people can go back to cinemas feeling 100% safe, there will be a boom. The big question is when that is going to be.
  • Options
    Will cinema die the way that football died when they started to show live football on TV - as many predicted it would?

I remember the days when over 30,000 people paid 50p to stand at places like Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane. 

Now they're almost giving tickets away because no one wants to see football at these tiny venues anymore.  (Not really!).
  • Options
    The thing is with cinema, you can even go out and see a film you have already seen before and the experience is different.
  • Options
    I get far more from seeing films on a big screen and I concentrate more on the film. I'm not sure if younger people feel the same attachment.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I didn’t visit a cinema between Four Weddings and a funeral and the Lego Batman movie. 

I do like being able to pause/rewind turn volume up/down, go to the loo and not miss anything etc. 

Don’t miss them being open at all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dealing with COVID has accelerated use of the internet and home viewing content a couple of years because that’s basically been the only game in town. When things do open up again we will all discover we like going to football matches, we like going to the pub, we like going to restaurants, we like walking into a shop and seeing something we want to buy, we like going out and doing things like going to the cinema and the theatre, we like getting out of the house, we like talking to people face to face. We’re in a situation where teenage scribblers can’t see beyond the end of their laptops and lazy journos publicise it.