Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The bridge that needs crossing

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
Sangaard has repeatedly made it clear that he loves expansive, attacking football, whereas Bowyer's idea of a successful team (and mine too) is one that works hard, gives little away and gets results (often by a single goal).  Our 'goals for' column puts us around mid-table, but we are doing better than that due to our reasonably tight defence.

Although our squad is unlikely to win automatic promotion, we may well be successful due to the shortcomings of other teams.  That's certainly how I've seen things so far this season.

But presumably these two conflicting ideologies (Viking Sandgaard v Ebenezeer Bowyer) will come to a head at some point ... and, arguably, there is only one winner. 

I wonder if and when it will happen.

Comments

• se9addick said:
    I doubt Sandgaard really has a football “ideology”. If Bowyer is successful he’ll keep his job, if he isn’t he won’t. I doubt the style of football will matter much, to be honest for about 99.9% of teams all that matters is results. 
    So you didn't hear the audible 'gulp' on commentary when Sandgaard first saw high-profile signing Ben Watson?
  • edited December 2020
    Bowyer hasn't always been like this, promotion season we played some really exciting football. 
    Even that season tho we scored 73 in the League, which was the lowest of the top 6 and only 2 more than Peterborough who were 7th, looking at previous seasons 73 was still alot of goals tho, I guess just when u compare it to that season we had the lowest of the top 6 but if you look at the season before 73 was the 3rd highest of the top 6, 
  • I find at times under Bowyer us boring and negative.
    I've seen us under Bowyer though, clinch promotion on a shoestring and nearly a miracle last season in keeping us up.
    Even if we top up mid table this season , I want to see Bowyer in charge next season with a stable owner and hopefully hardly any injuries.
  • I think Sangaard will give Bowyer this season & treat it as a "free hit". TS came in after the season had started, with a wage cap & with every other team having already done 99% of their signings. I am mightily surprised that we are sitting in 4th place right now & still think we will be lucky to finish in the top 6.

Saying that, I think Sangaard will be looking to get promoted next season if we don't manage this year & will not be afraid to ditch Bowyer if he doesnt see an improvement in both playing style & personnel by early next season. So, if we  haven't moved forward by this time next year I would reckon it would be goodbye Lee.
  • Off_it said:
    Yeah, best just sack Bowyer now and have done with it.

I really struggle to understand the thinking of some of our fans sometimes.
    Then work harder and try to keep up.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Sangaard has repeatedly made it clear that he loves expansive, attacking football, whereas Bowyer's idea of a successful team (and mine too) is one that works hard, gives little away and gets results (often by a single goal).  Our 'goals for' column puts us around mid-table, but we are doing better than that due to our reasonably tight defence.

Although our squad is unlikely to win automatic promotion, we may well be successful due to the shortcomings of other teams.  That's certainly how I've seen things so far this season.

But presumably these two conflicting ideologies (Viking Sandgaard v Ebenezeer Bowyer) will come to a head at some point ... and, arguably, there is only one winner. 

I'm not sure we know what Bowyer's idea of a successful team is even after 2 and a half seasons due to the ridiculous circumstances he has been forced to work under. 

His first season he had to take over from Robinson when that side was somewhere heading towards mid table and possibly lower, and using the same players he got us into the play offs with effectively a game on hand.

2nd season the pre season the squad numbers were so reduced  he could not fill the bench the first game, but he put a side together and promoted. His reward for that was a few days later was to be told we can't agree a contract you are gone!

3rd season despite being in a higher league he is forced to work pre season under the same conditions as the previous years putting his squad together after everyone else right up to the deadline on probably the smallest budget in the division. In the end relegated in the last minute.

4th season, even bigger joke of a pre season where his first worry was how does he get 11 players on the bench. It appears he/we might have a great owner, but through neither Bowyer or Sandguard fault we can only start getting in players under the new budget after most other squads are complete. Yes there are good players still out there's but the real make a difference players like goal scorers and players who can play and have pace are normally long gone at that stage of the season. 

Is everything right on the pitch,no. But Bowyer has to have worked within all the constraints of the above so far and you and  what we have is another hasilty put together squad (that is currently in the play off positions). The time to judge how he REALLY wants to play would be next season,  if the owner keeps going the way the way he is going and Bowyer is allowed to build a squad he wants from day 1 of the summer window and not at the back end scrabbling around for whatever is left and fits within budgets and caps. Then we will see what a real Bowyer team/squad is and then results and performances can be judged against it
    Wot I said, but with a lot more words.
  • Dave Rudd said:

I imagine if we were to win every game for the rest of this season and next by just 1-0, one could put forward s reasonable argument that there would be more than one winner. 

TS would then own a Premier League club and LB would have an FA Cup win to his name.
  • I would think Ged Roddy is looking very closely over Bows shoulder.

Impossible to say how this will play. I agree Bows has got at least this season to show TS what he's about.

In terms of management, Lee has always been the more ambitious than the owners he has worked under. He's worked well with his back against the wall with hands tied. Maybe that suits him?

Thomas appears to have big plans and fairly quick time frames to meet them.
    Will Bowyer be able to keep up and perform in those time frames is the question?
  • Isn't this just the normal mantra of a new owner?

I can't remember a new owner coming in and wooing the fans with the promise of dull, risk averse, backs to the wall football.

TS is obviously not a stupid man and he will know that you need to build a squad to suit any desired style of play. You can't just flick a switch and make it happen. Unfortunately, the relegation and resultant wage cap makes it more difficult for TS to flex his financial muscle in the transfer market.

It may be therefore, that we (including TS) need to put up with trying to win games in any manner this season - and sometimes LB's perceived negative tactics may bite us on the arse.

At the end of the day, LB and his team know the players better than any of us both in terms of fitness, ability and adaptability and we just have to trust him to do what's right.

There will be a point (if disappointing results become the norm) that TS may decide to make a change.......but I think that will (and should) be a long way off yet.

• LBRAWA

;) 
  • This thread is 5 years ahead of its time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Lee Bowyer's red and white army
    Am getting flashbacks to the Alan Pardew's Red and White Army thread. Not sure that's a good precedent to be honest.
  • This thread is 5 years ahead of its time!
    Its embarrassing, that's what it is. I know some people like to over-analyse and hypothesise about just about everything,  but it's ridiculous. 

Still, at least I havent heard anyone on here call for Bowyer to be sacked. Unlike certain other places.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:
    Yeah, best just sack Bowyer now and have done with it.

I really struggle to understand the thinking of some of our fans sometimes.
    Then work harder and try to keep up.
    No thanks.
  • Off_it said:
    This thread is 5 years ahead of its time!
    Its embarrassing, that's what it is. I know some people like to over-analyse and hypothesise about just about everything,  but it's ridiculous. 

Still, at least I havent heard anyone on here call for Bowyer to be sacked. Unlike certain other places.
    Oh you're kidding. Seriously? Just after Wednesday, or previously?
  • edited December 2020
    aliwibble said:
    Off_it said:

Before Wednesday. Havent been back to look since. Still feeling dirty as it is.
  • Off_it said:
    aliwibble said:
    Off_it said:

Had a quick look after Wednesday, serious attempts to drive site traffic being made
  • It was always thus. Every manager in living memory got the same treatment.
  • Off_it said:
    aliwibble said:
    Off_it said:

Lol. Just had a quick look and now see theres a whole thread devoted to it, one in which I even get a name check despite not even having seen the thread until now.

Its comforting to know some things never change. (Can someone tell the Big Fella I said "hi" please.)