Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2021

Comments

• Options
    Ok, I have no real clue what I’m doing here but have some small each way bets on:

Alpha des obeux @ 66/1
    Menellacebration @ 66/1
    Annabale Fly @ 25/1

How does that look?
    Looks like you made the mistake of using a bookmaker instead of an exchange. Current prices on Betfair

Alpha des obeux 159/1
    Minellacelebration 149/1
    Anibale Fly 37/1
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    oldbloke said:
    Peanuts how do the willie mullins entries come out on your model as he could have two or three players of low weights come the big day. I think we will shortly see these all take their prep runs. He's a hard trainer to read from his comments but I think he likes one of the less fancied ones.
    Good question @oldbloke cos they and some other prominent names in the market are obviously conspicuous by their absence.
    Been waiting to see what preps they run - we know that Burrows Saint, who is yet to qualify, is heading for the Bobbyjo, following the same prep as Rathvinden 2 years ago.
    If you can bear with me, I'll be doing more "what if" calculations over the next few days and will give you a run down on them and the other market fancies.
    Cheers

EDIT - 9 entered for Saturday's Bobbyjo chase at Fairyhouse (7 holding GN entries): Alpha Des Obeaux, Acapella Bourgeois, Anibale Fly, Burrows Saint, Class Conti, Court Maid, The Long Mile, Tout Est Permis and Westerner Point

I looked on Oddschecker and only five have been declared. Burrows Saint, Acapella Bourgeois, Anibale Fly, The Long Mile and Tout Est Permis.

Cheers @RobinKeepsBobbin

1 of 2 races tomorrow with potential GN pointers.

The Bobbyjo was won by Hedgehunter before he took the big one in 2005 and Black Apalachi and Oscar Time placed in it prior to finishing close 2nd in 2010 and 2011 GNs. Most recently, of course, Magic Of Light and Rathvinden ran in it (UR and winning) before their respective 2nd and 3rd to the Tiger in 2019.

All 5 runners tomorrow have a GN entry.
    Already discussed Acapella Bourgeois and Burrows Saint (the best weighted of the 5 runners) and, for either, even a win wouldn't quite be enough stats-wise to figure in my team.
    Same goes for Tout Est Permis (well beaten in the 2019 Irish GN won by Burrows Saint but he was giving him virtually a stone that day) and 7 yo The Long Mile, having his first run in a 3m chase.

ANIBALE FLY
    (33/1 for the GN) is of potential interest however. 

Endured a wretched season last year but ran much more like himself in his last outing (over hurdles) in March. 
    Tomorrow's his first spin for almost a year and recent figures after a 100+ day break aren't encouraging but, if he were to run something like his old self and see off the oppo, allotted just OR155 (10.12) at Aintree, with his record there and in the spring (100% making the frame in 5 chases from mid-March to end-April, compared to 29% at all other times of the year) the 11yo would have the a stat-profile to make the frame for a 3rd time and take his place among the GN stalwarts like State of Play. 
    But it is a big "if" tomorrow.

Meanwhile, at Kempton it's the Class 1 Close Bros handicap over 3m - the old Racing Post Chase, won by Rough Quest in his GN winning season in 1996 (he was 4L 2nd in the GC in between but carried just 10.07 at Aintree - about as close to a shoo-in as there’s been in a GN, at least since Rummy).

In 25 years since, the race has yielded zero connection with GN success, but 5 of the 18 runners tomorrow have GN entries.
    Mister Malarky (from the family of GN2nd Just So and 4th Dubacilla), Aso & Double Shuffle (both with copious helpings of Wild Risk on their damsides) and Cap Du Nord (with a modern-GN pedigree - Group 1 winners as damsire and 3rd & 4th damsires and, like Kemboy, Espoir D'Allen and Defi Du Seuil, 
    sired by Voix Du Nord) all have interesting bloodlines from a GN perspective but none have strong enough base stats such that a win would propel them to a backable rating. 

However TALKISCHEAP (66/1 for the GN) does, though he needs to win or near miss tomorrow and justify his GNOR155 to do so. 

Winner of the 29f Whitbread at Sandown (aka Bet365 Gold Cup) on his strongly-preferred Good ground in 2019, in which he demolished the oppo with a similarly strong finish and by the same margin as had everyone purring about Cloth Cap's win in November's Hennessy. He's had only 2 chases since - inevitably losing to Santini on Soft and pulling up in tomorrow's race of last season, losing a shoe en route and possibly picking up a knock.

Been slow to get his season underway (with 2 bumpers when the weather was bad in January) and tomorrow's a huge race for him as regards his GN potential. 

If he can win or go close off +10lb higher mark (155) than when he won at Sandown (the form of that race appears respectable, the next 3 home having a 23% win rate since) he'd have just 2 fails of my Screentest, but both of them borderline and, despite the fact that Alan King has an abysmal record in (and dislike of) the GN, he could well appear on my team if the ground is decent come April. 

Again, a big "if" though. He's 20/1 for tomorrow.

Have a good one
    COYR
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Ok, I have no real clue what I’m doing here but have some small each way bets on:

Alpha des obeux @ 66/1
    Menellacebration @ 66/1
    Annabale Fly @ 25/1

How does that look?

Glad you’ve done them each way @Alwaysneil
    I’ve got 1 of them on my betting slip already and maybe 2 depending on how Anibale Fly runs tomorrow but, in any event, the big plus about them as a combo is they’ve run 10 times over fences at Aintree (GN or conventional course) between them and made the frame 7 times.

Alpha and Anibale could do with showing a bit of their old spark but they’ve both gone well over the GN fences when they’ve run before and Anibale runs massively better when spring rolls around.
    If Minellacelebration was at a big yard, he would be half his current price IMHO. If he gets good ground and can avoid misfortune, he could cause a major, major shock. 

Let’s hope he gives us a good run for our money  :)

• Options
    Tiger Roll will not run. The updated list of runners should appear soon.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Tiger Roll will not run. The updated list of runners should appear soon.
    ..... supposedly due to "unfair weight" but I strongly suspect it's down to the horse not being fully right, with a dash of the "f*ck you" from O'Leary after the BHA's action against Elliott yesterday.
    Despite what's been said today, I don't think he'll be at Cheltenham either (for the same reason), regardless of the current ban on Elliott's runners. If he ever runs again, it will be in the Irish GN IMHO but maybe that's it right now. 
  • Options
    Why are they taking so long to announce the updated runners? I thought it was supposed to be done at 10am
  • Options
    Why are they taking so long to announce the updated runners? I thought it was supposed to be done at 10am
    Forfeit stages always take ages to publish even though 10am's the deadline - don't know why.
    From memory I don't think it will be until tomorrow (late morning I suspect).
  • Options
    Forfeit stages always take ages to publish even though 10am's the deadline - don't know why.
    From memory I don't think it will be until tomorrow (late morning I suspect).
    I assumed that they must have the updated list available as they know Tiger Roll is out. It will make picking the winner a lot easier when they narrow it down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    90 left in at yesterday's first forfeit stage.
    Aside from Tiger, Presenting Percy is scratched, as is Battleovedoyen, Aso, Champagne Classic, Al Roc, Robin Des Foret, (sadly) Moyhenna, Cap Du Nord, Rockys Treasure, A Toi Phil and St Barts.

Easysland (FR) 7 11 10 Mr John P. McManus D. Cottin

Santini (GB) 9 11 10 Mr & Mrs R. Kelvin-Hughes Nicky Henderson

Bristol de Mai (FR) 10 11 10 Mr Simon Munir & Mr Isaac Souede Nigel Twiston-Davies

The Storyteller (IRE) 10 11 8 Mrs Pat Sloan Gordon Elliott

Chris's Dream (IRE) 9 11 7 Robcour Henry de Bromhead

Yala Enki (FR) 11 11 3 Hills of Ledbury Ltd Paul Nicholls

Ballyoptic (IRE) 11 11 1 Mills & Mason Partnership Nigel Twiston-Davies

Definitly Red (IRE) 12 11 1 Phil & Julie Martin Brian Ellison

Lake View Lad (IRE) 11 11 0 Mr Trevor Hemmings N. W. Alexander

Burrows Saint (FR) 8 10 13 Mrs S. Ricci W. P. Mullins

Ajas (FR) 7 10 13 Mr Ulf Sjoberg D. Cottin

Magic of Light (IRE) 10 10 13 Ann & Alan Potts Limited Mrs J. Harrington

Acapella Bourgeois (FR) 11 10 12 Slaneyville Syndicate W. P. Mullins

Talkischeap (IRE) 9 10 12 Mr Charles Dingwall Alan King

Tout Est Permis (FR) 8 10 12 Gigginstown House Stud Noel Meade

Anibale Fly (FR) 11 10 12 Mr John P. McManus A. J. Martin

Mister Malarky (GB) 8 10 12 Wendy & Malcolm Hezel Colin Tizzard

Kimberlite Candy (IRE) 9 10 10 Mr John P. McManus Tom Lacey

Beware The Bear (IRE) 11 10 10 Mr G. B. Barlow Nicky Henderson

Pym (IRE) 8 10 10 Mrs Patricia Pugh Nicky Henderson

Bellshill (IRE) 11 10 10 D & D Armstrong Ltd & Mr L Westwood Sandy Thomson

Any Second Now (IRE) 9 10 9 Mr John P. McManus T. M. Walsh

Balko des Flos (FR) 10 10 9 Gigginstown House Stud Henry de Bromhead

Alpha des Obeaux (FR) 11 10 9 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Brahma Bull (IRE) 10 10 8 Mrs S. Ricci W. P. Mullins

Ok Corral (IRE) 11 10 8 Mr John P. McManus Nicky Henderson

Articulum (IRE) 11 10 7 Martin McDonagh/Paul G Murphy/M J Nixon Terence O'Brien

Takingrisks (IRE) 12 10 7 Mr Frank Bird Nicky Richards

Shattered Love (IRE) 10 10 7 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Jett (IRE) 10 10 7 Mr Robert Waley-Cohen Mrs J. Harrington

The Jam Man (IRE) 8 10 7 Ronan M. P. McNally Ronan M. P. McNally

Lord du Mesnil (FR) 8 10 6 Mr Paul Porter & Mike & Mandy Smith Richard Hobson

Potters Corner (IRE) 11 10 6 All Stars Sports Racing & J Davies Christian Williams

Class Conti (FR) 9 10 6 Mr Simon Munir/Mr Isaac Souede W. P. Mullins

Milan Native (IRE) 8 10 6 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Discorama (FR) 8 10 6 Thomas Friel/Andrew Gemmell Paul Nolan

Vieux Lion Rouge (FR) 12 10 5 Prof Caroline Tisdall & Mr John Gent David Pipe

Cloth Cap (IRE) 9 10 5 Mr Trevor Hemmings Jonjo O'Neill

Cabaret Queen (GB) 9 10 5 Syndicates.Racing W. P. Mullins

Minellacelebration (IRE) 11 10 5 Mr Nick Elliott Katy Price

Glen Forsa (IRE) 9 10 4 Mr T. P. Radford Mick Channon

Canelo (IRE) 8 10 4 Mr John P. McManus Alan King

The Long Mile (GB) 7 10 4 Mr John P. McManus J.P.Dempsey

Give Me A Copper (IRE) 11 10 4 Done, Ferguson, Mason, Nicholls & Wood Paul Nicholls

Hogan's Height (IRE) 10 10 3 Foxtrot Racing: Hogan's Height Jamie Snowden

Minella Times (IRE) 8 10 3 Mr John P. McManus Henry de Bromhead

Farclas (FR) 7 10 3 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Agusta Gold (IRE) 8 10 3 Dr S.P. Fitzgerald W. P. Mullins

Sub Lieutenant (IRE) 12 10 3 Ms G. Howell Georgie Howell

Double Shuffle (IRE) 11 10 2 Crossed Fingers Partnership Tom George

Blaklion (GB) 12 10 2 Darren & Annaley Yates Dan Skelton

Ami Desbois (FR) 11 10 2 The Reserved Judgment Partnership Graeme McPherson

Gold Present (IRE) 11 10 2 Mr and Mrs J. D. Cotton Nicky Henderson

Keeper Hill (IRE) 10 10 2 McNeill Family Warren Greatrex

Death Duty (IRE) 10 10 1 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Secret Reprieve (IRE) 7 10 1 Mr & Mrs William Rucker Evan Williams

Some Neck (FR) 10 10 1 Some Neck Partnership John McConnell

Deise Aba (IRE) 8 9 13 Mr Trevor Hemmings Philip Hobbs

Jerrysback (IRE) 9 9 13 Mr John P. McManus Philip Hobbs

Kauto Riko (FR) 10 9 13 Mr and Mrs J.Dale and Partners Tom Gretton

Saturnas (FR) 10 9 13 Mr Nick Peacock W. P. Mullins

Storm Control (IRE) 8 9 13 Mr Will Roseff Kerry Lee

Fagan (GB) 11 9 13 Mr Ben Brackenbury Alex Hales

Valtor (FR) 12 9 13 Mr Simon Munir & Mr Isaac Souede Nicky Henderson

Golan Fortune (IRE) 9 9 13 P Middleton, M Lowther Phil Middleton

Captain Drake (IRE) 8 9 11 Gary Stevens and Brian and Sandy Lambert Harry Fry

Run Wild Fred (IRE) 7 9 11 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

The Hollow Ginge (IRE) 8 9 11 The Ginge Army Nigel Twiston-Davies

Crievehill (IRE) 9 9 11 Highclere T'Bred Racing- Crievehill Nigel Twiston-Davies

Another Venture (IRE) 10 9 11 Racing For Maggie's Partnership Kim Bailey

Flying Angel (IRE) 10 9 10 Mr R. J. Rexton Nigel Twiston-Davies

Fitzhenry (IRE) 9 9 10 Mr John P. McManus Paul Nolan

Prime Venture (IRE) 10 9 10 Mrs Janet Davies Evan Williams

Le Breuil (FR) 9 9 10 Mrs Emma Palmer Ben Pauling

Achille (FR) 11 9 9 Mrs Vida Bingham Venetia Williams

Plan of Attack (IRE) 8 9 9 Mr A. Halsall Henry de Bromhead

Roaring Bull (IRE) 8 9 9 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Hold The Note (IRE) 7 9 9 Mr T. P. Radford Mick Channon

Dounikos (FR) 10 9 9 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Treacysenniscorthy (IRE) 9 9 8 Paula Widger Robert Widger

Soupy Soups (IRE) 10 9 8 Equi ex Incertis Partners Neil Mulholland

Musical Slave (IRE) 8 9 8 Mr John P. McManus Philip Hobbs

Shantou Flyer (IRE) 11 9 7 David Maxwell Racing Limited Paul Nicholls

Hear No Evil (IRE) 9 9 7 Mr Patrick Joseph McCartan Noel C. Kelly

Beau Bay (FR) 10 9 7 Mr Peter Green & Dr RDP Newland Dr Richard Newland

Monbeg Notorious (IRE) 10 9 6 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Aforementioned (FR) 8 9 5 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott

Fingerontheswitch (IRE) 11 9 3 Cahill, Atwell & Crofts Neil Mulholland

One Style (FR) 11 9 3 The Four Bosses Venetia Williams

Bellow Mome (FR) 10 9 2 Mrs Audrey Turley W. P. Mullins

• Options
    Where did you find this Peanuts? I have been looking for it everywhere i could think of.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Where did you find this Peanuts? I have been looking for it everywhere i could think of.
    Racing Post has updated its Entries but I copy and pasted from Racing TV
    I don't know why it dribbles out this way.
    Great shame about Moyhenna (IMHO) but I guess it was always likely she'd go to Fairyhouse (assuming she's not picked up a knock). Will have a shilling or two on her in the Irish GN if there's juice in the ground.
  • Options
    Great shame about Moyhenna (IMHO) but I guess it was always likely she'd go to Fairyhouse (assuming she's not picked up a knock). Will have a shilling or two on her in the Irish GN if there's juice in the ground.
    I will make a note of that for the next stage. As it stands the cut off weight would be 10 06 but of course there will be more withdrawals. 
  • Options
    All the main distributors get the entries in advance of the announcement so that they can update their feeds in a timely manner. These are, as suggested embargoed, but the delay by some is probably down to manpower issues during these times
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    My guestimate is that at least some of the OR142s should make the cut. Assuming at least 1 of Bristol De Mai, Santini and Easysland run, they'd carry the minimum 10.00 but would be 1lb out of the handicap.

• Options
    My guestimate is that at least some of the OR142s should make the cut. Assuming at least 1 of Bristol De Mai, Santini and Easysland run, they'd carry the minimum 10.00 but would be 1lb out of the handicap.

If i had to pick one horse that won't win i would pick Easysland. 11 10 for a 7 year old is ridiculous. He can't even jump. He runs through the fences. He won't get away with that at Aintree.
  • Options

If i had to pick one horse that won't win i would pick Easysland. 11 10 for a 7 year old is ridiculous. He can't even jump. He runs through the fences. He won't get away with that at Aintree.
    Fully agree. I hope he hoses up in the Cross Country and halves in price. Not backable in the National in my view.
  • Options

Fully agree. I hope he hoses up in the Cross Country and halves in price. Not backable in the National in my view.
    He should be odds on for the XC, so I'd avail myself of the 13/8 available (Betfair, Hills, Sky) if short prices are your thing, or whatever bigger is available on the exchanges. I think it's far, far too big a price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Agusta Gold, related to Aye Right and one of the 3 remaining Irish mares in the entries was sold today and is moving to Willie Mullins, with the GN apparently as the aim.
    Only Chase start at beyond 21f was close 2nd in last year’s 29f Irish GN Trial on testing ground with 11.01. 12lbs higher mark now but will carry only 10.03 on 10 April.
    Not quite the stats to make it onto my shortlist but she’s another tough cookie (jumps for fun and never out of the first 4 in 20 races under rules, winning on a range of going) and could run a big one at 50/1.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

He should be odds on for the XC, so I'd avail myself of the 13/8 available (Betfair, Hills, Sky) if short prices are your thing, or whatever bigger is available on the exchanges. I think it's far, far too big a price.
    The reason he is not odds on is its in the public domain the horse has been ill with rhinovirus.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

2 races tomorrow with GN entries having their likely final prep.

Donny stages the 26f Grimthorpe, won by The Last Samuri before his gallant 2nd in the 2016 GN.

• Beware The Bear heads the weights. He could make a meaningful advance on his GN stats with a strong run (reducing his Screentest fails to 2) but he's devoid of any positive to force his way onto my team and has definite questions to answer as regards genuineness.
    • Canelo, wearing JP's green and gold, is the other GN entry running in the race - from Alan King's yard (a turn off in itself when it comes to a GN). Even a win won't give him the necessary stat-profile to figure on 10 April.

The Premier Chase at Kelso, the preferred prep for 2 of Hemmings' former GN winners Ballabriggs and Many Clouds, sees his colours carried by Cloth Cap and Lake View Lad, with Definitly Red and 3 others in opposition. Ground should be Good to Soft. 

• Cloth Cap had a 1lb collateral rise in handicap mark when Aye Right ran so well in the SkyBet Chase, and that just tipped the balance from a definite to a borderline chance on a decent surface at Aintree. He could reverse that with a strong show to validate his GNOR148, though there are better weighted candidates tomorrow, especially at just 23.5f. 
    With just a safe and steady spin, he'll retain 3 fails of my GN Screentest but, with 1 so borderline, he'll likely still be among the top 6 rated by my model and, with the + of being from the family of Amberleigh House, squeeze onto my team on 10 April if (and only if) the going is GS or better.
    • 12 yo Definitly Red has sadly probably missed his chance at Aintree and would have to show form he hasn't managed for more than 2 years to upgrade his GN stats to contender status. 
    • Lake View Lad, who copped a generous 5lb cut in mark on a single failure after his impressive defeat of Santini and Native River in November, can't better his GN stat-profile which is short of the standard to be in the mix on 10 April.

As an aside, I shall be having a nibble of the 66/1 outsider in tomorrow's race, Cool Mix.

Massively wrong at the weights (13-27lbs) with all 5 rivals but he loves the track, will love the ground (made the frame in all 5 chases over 2~3m on GS or Gd in the last 2 seasons and in all 5 runs since wind surgery last summer) and, in his only run at 3m (November's Rehearsal Chase) was an unlucky (badly inconvenienced by a faller), staying-on 5L 3rd, ahead of Takingrisks who took the SkyBet Chase so impressively on his next run. 

From the family of Synchronised and, while understandably tomorrow's Rag, 66/1 in a small field tickles my fancy as a half-shilling, fun interest.

• Options
    Cool Mix also a strong jockey/trainer combo on yearly stats at the meeting...... Good luck Peanuts
  • Options
    Cloth Cap looked impressive and certainly pleased with my ante post bet now. 
  • Options
    Cloth cap wins well - 8/1 for the national now 
  • Options
    Impressive win there from Cloth Cap. Obviously has a big chance in the GN if that is anything to go by.
  • Options
    Cool Mix also a strong jockey/trainer combo on yearly stats at the meeting...... Good luck Peanuts
    Sadly taken out on vet's advice.
    But what an impressive win, making every yard, by Cloth Cap.
    Will surely be put up a fair amount in the handicap come Tuesday and be meaningfully well in on 10 April.
    Now cut to 8/1 (top price) for the GN. Thankfully took him antepost at 20s a while back, cos he's sure now to fit the stats-bill on a decent surface.
    That said - the long range weather forecast from Accuweather for Liverpool is wet all week ahead of the big day. 
  • Options
    Will surely be put up a fair amount in the handicap come Tuesday and be meaningfully well in on 10 April.
    Now cut to 8/1 (top price) for the GN. Thankfully took him antepost at 20s a while back, cos he's sure now to fit the stats-bill on a decent surface.
    That said - the long range weather forecast from Accuweather for Liverpool is wet all week ahead of the big day. 
    Think I jinxed Cool Mix Peanuts..... Very happy with my 25/1 Cloth Cap now
  • Options
    Think I jinxed Cool Mix Peanuts..... Very happy with my 25/1 Cloth Cap now
    Nice one @killer kish - I remember you were on to him early. Got a sub yet for sadly departed The Conditional?