Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Allis RIP

Passed away at the age of 89.

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Great commentator & a lover of the great game. 

RIP.
  • Options
    He seemed to be the quintessential softly spoked and eloquent English gentleman and was an ever present broadcaster and knowledgeable Golf lover even into his old age .. R I P
  • Options
    Thought he would go on forever. RIP
  • Options
    Sad news indeed. Another iconic broadcaster who you immediately associated with their sport. Grew up listening to him like so many greats from back in the day. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP

Was dreading this one, but heard him a few weeks ago and he didn't sound good.

An institution of British sporting broadcasting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Peter
  • Options
    Another voice from my youth gone. RIP Peter. 
  • Options
    Great great commentator. Really don’t like golf but loved listening to him. 
  • Options
    Yes a great lover of golf and fantastic commentator, bought a set of Peter Alliis golf clubs 40 odd years ago still have them.
  • Options
    I'm gutted, he was a fantastic golf commentator, he had instant one liners that no one else had or will ever have. His program A round with Allis I used to love watching and it was normally broadcast around Xmas time. A great ambassador for the game, he was going to retire after this year's Open but as it was cancelled he said he would retire after the 2021 Open, if he was spared, sadly he didn't make it! The Open won't be the same without him!
    RIP Peter and thank you for everything. 
    That was a brilliant series, Red - usually filmed at Turnberry I seem to recall.
    Reminded me that at the time (not sure if it's ever been beaten) it included the longest successful putt ever recorded - by Terry Wogan!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    bobmunro said:
    I'm gutted, he was a fantastic golf commentator, he had instant one liners that no one else had or will ever have. His program A round with Allis I used to love watching and it was normally broadcast around Xmas time. A great ambassador for the game, he was going to retire after this year's Open but as it was cancelled he said he would retire after the 2021 Open, if he was spared, sadly he didn't make it! The Open won't be the same without him!
    That was a brilliant series, Red - usually filmed at Turnberry I seem to recall.
    Reminded me that at the time (not sure if it's ever been beaten) it included the longest successful putt ever recorded - by Terry Wogan!

Don't think that putt was ever beaten @bobmunro. Wogan and Peter were best mates always used to have a 'couple' before having a round of golf. I hope the Beeb show some reruns of the program I absolutely loved it, especially when I was learning to play the game. Yes it was normally filmed at Turnbury, straight after the Open finished on the Sunday, it was then filmed during the few days after it, and broadcast on Beeb 2 in between Xmas and New Year I think.
  • Options
    RIP - Truly iconic Commentator

The commentators I'd listen to on the weekend watching Grandstand etc. down the below now!!

Stuart Storey | Barry Davies | John Motson | Murray Walker
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Don't think that putt was ever beaten @bobmunro. Wogan and Peter were best mates always used to have a 'couple' before having a round of golf. I hope the Beeb show some reruns of the program I absolutely loved it, especially when I was learning to play the game. Yes it was normally filmed at Turnbury, straight after the Open finished on the Sunday, it was then filmed during the few days after it, and broadcast on Beeb 2 in between Xmas and New Year I think.

https://youtu.be/IcKwHhEtgEw

• Options
    Not a great fan of golf, apart from the Ryder Cup that is.
    However, I thought he was a terrific commentator and as one or two have already said, a quintessentially English gentleman.........very much in the Brian Johnston mould.
    Lived in Hindhead I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The voice of golf throughout my lifetime. RIP Commentating legend
  • Options
    Very sad, loved his commentary. 

And, as others have said, a Round with Allis was always a good watch.  
  • Options
    RIP Peter.
  • Options
    The voice of golf, good presenter.  Such a shame so many sport people passing this year.

RIP Peter.
  • Options
    RIP Peter. 
  • Options
    RIP.  Another one of the legends gone. Best one for me was when a male streaker ran on to the green at Troon, did two naked pirouettes of the flag and then ran off to gasps from the crowd. Peter said not a word for about 30 seconds, then uttered “what a lot of fuss about a little thing like that” and carried on. Genius. Was a little “of his time” so some of his remarks in later life weren’t exactly appropriate but I could have listened to him for hours (and often did!).  
  • Options
    The voice of golf for so many years. RIP Peter
  • Options
    Not a great fan of golf, apart from the Ryder Cup that is.
    However, I thought he was a terrific commentator and as one or two have already said, a quintessentially English gentleman.........very much in the Brian Johnston mould.
    Lived in Hindhead I believe.
    Yes @SoundAsa£ he lived in Hindhead was a member of a few golf courses around there as well. He had a lovely house, I used to work around there when in Financial Services.
  • Options
    Didn't sound great during the masters commentary recently so not overly shocked. 

RIP to 1 of the greatest sporting commentators of all time 
  • Options
    RIP.  Great voice and didnt give a fuck.