Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Allis RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Like others have said - one of the voices on my television growing up. 
  • Options
    RIP. He really was the most brilliant of commentators.
  • Options
    Wow watching golf on TV won't be the same again. RIP...
  • Options
    I’ve never played the game but loved listening to him, he probably made me more interested in the game. RIP
  • Options
    Not a golf fan, but I associate his voice with the sport. RIP
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    A very gifted commentator he made things listenable with his gentle humour, think both him and his father played in the Ryder cup .A sad day 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When someone can make a sport you find boring to be interesting, it is a real talent. RIP Peter.
  • Options
    He loved the sport and had a wealth of knowledge about it which is what made him so listenable. So many modern commentators seem more concerned with their own profile rather than the sport they are commentating on. 

Thanks Peter for all the entertainment.
  • Options
    Very good player in his day also.
  • Options
    certainly made golf a lot more entertaining. Lovely calm voice. RIP
  • Options
    Read in his obituary this morning that he had a 'Tradesman's Entrance' sign at the end of his drive. Typical Peter Aliss - RIP.
  • Options

He could come across a bit curmudgeonaly but I think the tongue was in the cheek a lot of the time. One I remember was Sandy Lyle hitting a 1 iron 250 yards to about a foot from the hole. PA let the applause subside then said "well there you go, if you get the right tuition, practice a lot and work hard....and you're a genius, you could do that". 

RIP

• Options
    The voice of golf, as simple as that.

He mentioned during the last Masters that when he "goes upstairs" he will have a chat with Bobby Jones about the Augusta course and its design.

RIP Peter, I hope you are sitting with Bobby now.