Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christmas songs? Bah humbug!

1235»

Comments

• shine166 said:
    Lonely this Christmas by elvis 
    Not biting...  ;)
  • MrOneLung said:'
    MrOneLung said:
    Struggling with that one cabbies. 
    You could say Do they know it’s Christmas as wasn’t it Band Aid 2 who released the later song 

spice girls was 2 become 1 , goodbye and one other one. No idea re which Beatles songs though 
    Which was the only act to be on both Band Aid and Band Aid II versions of Do the know its xmas
    Bananarama
    Yep 
  • A bit of David Brent and Forgone Conclusion 

https://youtu.be/lRX-fsDBJbU

• There have been loads of great Christmas songs over the years but I think as you get older you might just have heard some of them too many times.
  • rananegra said:
    My daughter's been trying to get me to like Christmas songs too. She's done me an advent calendar with a spotify link a day. They're all been obscure so far and not the sort of thing you'd hear on the radio but I've generally liked them: so far I've had 
    Nice Time by Toots and the Maytals, Christmas is going to the dogs by Eels, Space Christmas by Allo Darlin, Someday at Christmas by Jack Johnson, This Christmas by The Whispers, Lonely Man of Winter by Sufjan Stevens. So obscure, but I can't fault the effort (or most of the songs TBH).

The one well-known one I quite like apart from the Pogues is Christmas Rapping by the Waitresses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nud2TQNahaU

Funnily enough, as I've got older and mellower, I'm a lot more relaxed about traditional carols, but you won't hear them on the radio normally. 

Your daughter sounds great and well done you for being willing to give them a go. 

I’m a big fan of The Waitresses’ one. 
    An update now I've got to the end of the advent calendar. She went through loads of genres and styles and finished up with the one well-known song she knew I liked, Fairytale of New York. I've been really impressed with the effort she put into this and my heart has probably grown 2 sizes. 

I've also realised that, as @muttley points out, it's hearing them too often that makes me hate them, rather than them being about Christmas. Thankfully I've avoided spending too much time in shops this December, I don't know how retail workers manage. 

• Fucking hate them all. Worst of the lot is the Paul McCartney one. The second I hear that "wou wou wou wou wou" I want to gouge my fucking ears out with a spoon
  • cabbles said:
    MrOneLung said:
    You could say Do they know it’s Christmas as wasn’t it Band Aid 2 who released the later song 

spice girls was 2 become 1 , goodbye and one other one. No idea re which Beatles songs though 
    Good work.  Spice girls were 96,97 & 98 and the songs were 

19962 BECOME 1
    1997TOO MUCH
    1998GOODBYE

The Beatles were 

1963I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND
    1964I FEEL FINE
    1965DAY TRIPPER/WE CAN WORK IT OUT   

They also had number one in 1967 with Hello Goodbye

The other one is tough, it’s actually Mary’s Boy Child, sung by Harry Belafonte in 1957, and then again by Boney M in 1978
    It's interesting that back in the 60s The Beatles would always have a single and album out at Christmas, as it's a time when lots of records are bought for presents, but never made any concessions musically. Having a Christmas song and album was much more of an American things back then.
  • I like Feliz Navidad by José Feliciano. 
  • cabbles said:
    MrOneLung said:

19962 BECOME 1
    1997TOO MUCH
    1998GOODBYE

The Beatles were 

1964I FEEL FINE

The other one is tough, it’s actually Mary’s Boy Child, sung by Harry Belafonte in 1957, and then again by Boney M in 1978
    It's interesting that back in the 60s The Beatles would always have a single and album out at Christmas, as it's a time when lots of records are bought for presents, but never made any concessions musically. Having a Christmas song and album was much more of an American things back then.
    In fairness the Spice Girls songs listed aren’t actually Christmas songs either, so really they are just as musically untainted as the Beatles!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    cabbles said:
    MrOneLung said:

19962 BECOME 1
    1997TOO MUCH
    1998GOODBYE

The Beatles were 

1964I FEEL FINE

In fairness the Spice Girls songs listed aren’t actually Christmas songs either, so really they are just as musically untainted as the Beatles!
    But they're all gentle ballads though, clearly timed for the Christmas market

It's like when East 17 put out Stay Now at Christmas
  • East Seventeen have always said it wasn’t a Christmas song. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    East Seventeen have always said it wasn’t a Christmas song. 
    It isn't, but it's a gentle ballad completely unlike their usual "edgy" music, so no coincidence they put it out at Christmas and not in July
  • cabbles said:
    MrOneLung said:

19962 BECOME 1
    1997TOO MUCH
    1998GOODBYE

The Beatles were 

1964I FEEL FINE

Although the Beatles did release a Christmas recording exclusively to members of the official fan club on something called a "flexi disc" each year between 1963 - 1969.    They were pulled together and put out as an album in 2017. The original flexi discs are quite sought after I believe.