Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray gone

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    We need at least one asshole at the club.

Keohane is still there i think.
    I’m sure Thomas is just biding his time until he can find a suitable way of fecking him off - at least I hope so. I’d be surprised if he hadn’t heard about burger boy’s antics by now.
  • Options
    He'll always be a part of our rise to the Premier League but he'll also be held responsible for our collapse after that. His ego and inability to learn from mistakes left us in a position where we were circled by vultures like Jimenez and Slater, Roland, Southall, Nimer, Elliott and Farnell. Nobody's perfect and mistakes can be forgiven, but I won't forget the way he made a decision to publicly support Roland against the fans in order to keep his position at the club. That can't be forgiven and sadly his legacy now overwhelmingly says failure. It's disappointing (and slightly impressive) the way he not only destroyed all our success, which he was a part of, in two years, but doubled down after that. Ego is a hell of a thing
  • Options
    Good news.
  • Options

The real story here is Murray's involvement in RD selling the club to ESI.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    It's a shame how it ended for Murray after all the adulation of the premier years. 
    But as others have said he only has himself to blame. 
    Had he stood up to the nonsense Roland inflicted on the club instead of supporting him it could have been so so different. 
    Despite everything I hope he is over his health issues and has a happy retirement. 

Well said that man.
    I thank Murray for his financial contribution in the first half of his tenure which resulted in a playoff final and several years in the Premier.

In the second half of Richard Murray's tenure from Dowie onwards, he lost his Midas touch and became Persona non Grata with most of the fan base. In recent years it always felt more about keeping himself at the top table at Cafc.

When Simon Jordan, Murray's nemesis becomes more popular with the Cafc fan base (rightly so with SJ fighting our corner) then you know that Dicky boy has messed up big time.

Hero to Zero: The Charlton fans have thrown you to the Wolves, and you can now be a Wanderer.
  • Options
    Thank fuck for that.
  • Options
    So just to be clear, is RM fully gone or does he still have some kind of honorary president or similar title at the club??
  • Options
    I hope he has a healthy retirement.

My earliest footballing memories came when Murray and Simons were at the head of things off the pitch, and I remember Murray as generally a "good presence" around the club, until Dowie came in. I was, what, 12 when that happened and a bit puzzled by the move.

Suffice to say it all went not so much downhill as off a cliff edge thereafter. But we're done, it seems. C'est la.
  • Options
    I was at the it's just a message board thing/2%/powerpoint meeting. Dreadful.
    I think RM did a great job early on, but he had no experience of appointing managers, as the Gritt/Curbs situation almost came about by accident, and when Curbs left, despite what seemed an obvious wrong thing to do fuelled by ego he appointed Dowie.
    Pardew was doubling down on that feck up.
    Sad story, lets hope he gets the Sue Parkes status but is otherwise ignored.
  • Options
    Murray got lucky and had some superb backroom staff pulling together to help drive the Club forward.

Not sure if was his ego, but he thought he knew better and made some appalling decisions to the detriment of the Club - and himself.

Can never understand why he continued to support Roland for as long as he did when it was obvious that the relationship with the fans had become irreparable.
  • Options
    I have no personal experience of Richard Murray above the early
    years where he did seem to have some positive actions, and there
    are certainly divided opinions on here which is good on the forum.
    So, he has gone now, lets just try and remember the good times,
    however many or few there were and forget the negatives, the club
    is in a better place now, and Murray is definitely in the past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a sweet and sour relationship with us that went on for a LONG time, probably far too long
  • Options
    I have no personal experience of Richard Murray above the early
    years where he did seem to have some positive actions, and there
    are certainly divided opinions on here which is good on the forum.
    So, he has gone now, lets just try and remember the good times,
    however many or few there were and forget the negatives, the club
    is in a better place now, and Murray is definitely in the past.
    Never forget the negatives . That’s how the same mistakes are made in the future . By all means remember the few years he did well but don’t stick your head in the sand when it comes to countless mistakes and he made . 
    Fair point, and we will never forget the negatives he made and was party
    too, but those mistakes surely follow him, they were his mistakes and
    therefor die with him, speaking metaphorically.
    I am certainly not burying my head in the sands, just trying to see both
    sides, and suggesting time to move on 
  • Options
    I’m sure this is a harsh view but I’m thinking that Murray was unbelievably fortunate to have Curbishley and Varney during that golden period. To be fair he did have the pockets.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I’m organising a leaving present and card. If anyone wants to contribute, let me know ... 
    Don't hold your breath waiting for the rush ;)
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    Apparently he has got a gig on TalkSport with Simon Jordan.

I would buy tickets for that!