Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Great storyteller RIP
  • Options
    Ah, huge loss. Always my first choice of holiday reading. RIP.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Oh wow.....Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy......wonderful read and a superb BBC drama series, 1979 Seven part series starring the incomparable Sir Alec Guinness, one of the best things done by The BBC in its entire history IMHO.
    RIP......Old Chap......RIP.
  • Options
    Top man Le Carre.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    My favourite fiction author bar none. Just recently read ‘A Legacy of Spies’. He leaves behind a fantastic legacy of work. 
  • Options
    Wonderful books. Led a really interesting life. 

RIP
  • Options
    It was the Russians. 

RIP - my favourite modern writer 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RIP JLC, I enjoyed reading your novels on the beach.
  • Options
    RIP such a great writer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of my all time favourite authors. So sad, RIP John.
  • Options

So much more than just a writer. Fascinating life.

RIP

• Options
    Have read and reread just about everything he has written.  RIP.
  • Options
    RIP

• Options
    RIP. 
  • Options
    A great literary career over more than 50 years. My introduction was The Spy Who Came In From The Cold as a schoolboy and I have enjoyed his work, both books and films of those books, ever since.

On a lighter note I had him down for the 'Celebrities Who Are Still Alive' thread. Sadly, that is not to be now.

RIP
  • Options
    Very sad. I've read maybe a dozen of his books and have enjoyed every one of them and plan to read all the rest at some point and probably to re-read some. An absolute master and one of the towering figures of post-war British literature. He should have had a lot more recognition (including a Booker or two) had it not been for snobby literary types dscounting what they regard as genre fiction. 

Personal favourites are The Spy who came in from the Cold, the Perfect Spy, the Honourable Schoolboy and Absolute Friends.
  • Options
    He led a very full and interesting life .. R I P
  • Options
    Enjoyed reading his works, 

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only watched The Spy Who Came in from the Cold a few evenings ago.

One of my favourite films from the early 1960's.

RIP.
  • Options
    Not read any of his books but loved Tinker Tailor (both BBC drama & film) and  also The Constant Gardener. 

RIP
  • Options
    Superb writer. His stories stayed with you long after you read the final page. “ The spy who came n from the cold” and “A small town in Germany” are my personal favourites alongside “ Tinker tailor... “.
  • Options
    One of my favourite authors. RIP.
  • Options
    I'm not a particularly literary person but John le Carre was and always will be my favourite author, and more than that, increasingly an inspirational talisman, whose work helped me make sense of the world. The BBC Today prog. this morning is implying that his later novels were not as successful as his Cold War ones. Really ? No less than six of his post-Cold War novels have been adapted for screenplay. 
    At least the last three of his books, I bought with trepidation, thinking this has surely to be his last. I made sure to buy "Agent Running in the Field" in hardback for that reason. Yet his talents never failed him in his eighties. 
    If you are not familiar with his later work and view him as an espionage novelist, I'd really urge you to investigate the later ones. If pressed I'd choose The Night Manager as my favourite from this era.
    John le Carre is a talisman for those of us who refuse to see the world in tribal, black and white ways. He held Johnson and Corbyn, Cummings and Milne, and eventually Blair, in equal contempt. I feel like a friend has passed away this morning.
    Couldn't agree more. Something those Milwall scum would never understand.
  • Options
    Loved his books. My favourite... the spy who shagged me
  • Options
    Obituaries and tributes everywhere, including a long segment just now on Czech TV. 

But from the Prime Minister of the UK? Not a word. A week ago all over Barbara Windsor's passing.  Probably exactly as JLC would have predicted. Pygmy.
  • Options
    I'm not a particularly literary person but John le Carre was and always will be my favourite author, and more than that, increasingly an inspirational talisman, whose work helped me make sense of the world. The BBC Today prog. this morning is implying that his later novels were not as successful as his Cold War ones. Really ? No less than six of his post-Cold War novels have been adapted for screenplay. 
    At least the last three of his books, I bought with trepidation, thinking this has surely to be his last. I made sure to buy "Agent Running in the Field" in hardback for that reason. Yet his talents never failed him in his eighties. 
    If you are not familiar with his later work and view him as an espionage novelist, I'd really urge you to investigate the later ones. If pressed I'd choose The Night Manager as my favourite from this era.
    John le Carre is a talisman for those of us who refuse to see the world in tribal, black and white ways. He held Johnson and Corbyn, Cummings and Milne, and eventually Blair, in equal contempt. I feel like a friend has passed away this morning.
    Great words mate