Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Le Carre RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    And his half-brother Rupert Cornwell, who was the US correspondent of The Independent and pre-deceased him, was a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Great writer. Especially loved 'The Constant Gardener.' RIP
  • Options
    Great writer. Especially loved 'The Constant Gardener.' RIP
    I lived in Kenya in the mid 90s and worked for a while at the British High Commission. I could pretty much put real names to tbe fictional characters in that novel. 

Last year (when it was still possible to travel) we went on holiday to Lake Turkana in the NW of Kenya, where the tragedy of the story took place. Surpassed all expectations - harsh, remote, beyond hot, beautiful, with amazing passionate people who lead a daily life unimaginable to us. I probably would not have had that experience if it wasn't for Le Carre's inspiration.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Obituaries and tributes everywhere, including a long segment just now on Czech TV. 

But from the Prime Minister of the UK? Not a word. A week ago all over Barbara Windsor's passing.  Probably exactly as JLC would have predicted. Pygmy.
    Perhaps Boris isn't a great reader, but he's always been a keen admirer of female knockers, plus didn't she pull his pint in the Queen Vic I seem to recall fnaar fnaar!

• Options
    Felt quite sad about this as my Dad, who died back in 2003, was a big fan. Back in the 80s we went up to the NFT to see Le Carre being interviewed on stage - part of a series of interviews that were done with writers. 

Loved the Guinness Smiley (both series) and I reread lots of Le Carre a couple of years back. As well as the Karla trilogy, The Looking Glass War and A Perfect Spy were also particularly good.