Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sacha Baron Cohen.

No, not dead!

I don’t know anything about him before Ali G.

And while I’ve seen him perform short sketches as Borat, I don’t particularly like the character and haven’t seen the films.

But recently I’ve watched him in a couple of straight acting roles, Chicago 7 and now just rewatching (yes, it’s that bad) The Spy, both based on true stories and in both he comes across as a really good actor, which has surprised me.

Of course because Ali G has infiltrated my brain so much, it’s hard to picture him as anything other.

But I’ve definitely been impressed and wondering if this will be his new trajectory now?

Comments

• He is brilliant in The Spy too.  Great series that and also on Netflix.
  • Seen him in a few things and would say he’s really good across a range of things but his ‘fake’ investigative journalism and ability to flip a discussion is pretty impressive 
  • Can't stand him.
    So what?
  • He is brilliant in The Spy too.  Great series that and also on Netflix.
    I'll second that. Showed there is much much more to him that just goofing about in 'comedy' roles.
  • very talented bloke, loved Ali G
  • Sponsored links:

• Just finished watching The Spy. Excellent acting and a fascinating story.
  • He's brilliant in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. One of a number of outstanding performances in that movie.
  • He's excellent in it, but I struggled with his accent in Chicago 7...don't know if it was good, bad or I just don't hear that accent well. 
  • Am I the only one that couldn't handle the accent in Chicago 7? In parts it was russian, other times it was strongly British... It just took me out of the film that this bloke clearly wasn't American. 

Did have one really good scene:

Where he was on the stand. 

• Can't stand him.
    Now there’s a surprise, you even beat me for miserableness and that’s saying something!
  • Also great in Hugo
  • He's excellent in it, but I struggled with his accent in Chicago 7...don't know if it was good, bad or I just don't hear that accent well. 
    Chunes said:
    Am I the only one that couldn't handle the accent in Chicago 7? In parts it was russian, other times it was strongly British... It just took me out of the film that this bloke clearly wasn't American. 

Did have one really good scene:

Where he was on the stand. 

I really didn’t notice his accent but even so, still thought he was good in it.

• Ali G show is one of the best tv series ever 
    It’s strange, I didn’t enjoy that at all, but very much enjoy his film roles. 
  • All his comedy characters are great. Very funny and entertaining.

Some people take Ali G in the wrong way and don't see the joke for what it is. He's not hurting anyone.

It doesn't suprise me that he can play other roles aside from comedy.

In person, he comes across quite normal but has a serious side and attitude about things. 

Safe to assume he's one of those far left figures. 

Ah...the far left figure bug. The rich folk catch it and end up openly demonstrating that they have become completely up themselves. The celebrities opinion of fake passion.

People who think they are celebrities or believe they should be famous... probably also catch it.

• Sponsored links:

• I watched him in Chicago 7 and Spy and thought he was average at best but I love Borat and Ali G . 
  • I think he is brilliant, one of the most of not the most innovative creative comedians of my generation 

Whilst Grimsby upsets a lot of people it has at least 2 proper laugh until your sides hurt moments 

• He did a good job of playing the Inn Keeper Les Misérables!
  • Carter said:
    I think he is brilliant, one of the most of not the most innovative creative comedians of my generation 

Whilst Grimsby upsets a lot of people it has at least 2 proper laugh until your sides hurt moments 

In amongst all the puerile humour (which is still fun, it's just not clever) there's one absolutely brilliant joke about FIFA right towards the end. I think the fact it's surrounded by so many dick and anus jokes makes it stand out even more. I laughed for about ten minutes
  • edited December 2020
    He was very good in Sweeney Todd too
    Was my first time seeing him in a straight role
  • I must admit I really enjoyed Grimsby (Mark Strong has done some great films) and some of  Bruno was ok but I don’t get Borat or Ali G at all. Realise I am likely to be in the minority and mates go on about how funny it is but Borat makes me cringe 
  • Like others, I thought he was great in Sweeny Todd.  Shame it was a rotten musical. I hope it gets remade as a proper film one day.
  • I must admit I really enjoyed Grimsby (Mark Strong has done some great films) and some of  Bruno was ok but I don’t get Borat or Ali G at all. Realise I am likely to be in the minority and mates go on about how funny it is but Borat makes me cringe 

The Borat character has funny moments but yeh overall doesn't really do much for me either.

Ali G is great for interviewing celebrities, politicians and professionals.

One of his best characters was in his recent series "who is America".

The fat far right wing trump supporter was a great performance. 
    Especially the Bernie Sanders interview.
    Big fan of Mark Strong