Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January 2021

Comments

• Options
    Totally bonkers 1st half.
    Totally bonkers 2nd half.

Aneke scored 2 and could've had 4.
    No more of Aneke on the Bench; he was excellent.

Opposite managers have done their homework and know we are brittle at the back.
    Some really good attacking play but we looked like conceding all night.

Some fantastic goals tonight but some poor defending by both teams. 

Conceding 6 goals to Stanley and Rochdale combined and getting 1 point makes you realize that being in the Europa League on a Thursday night is still light years away.
    That sums up people’s expectations since Sandgaard took over,’if you needed the last two games to tell you we’re not near Europa League. 
  • Options
    We would need to be in the Prem to play in the Europa League - if we were in the Prem, it probably wouldn’t be with any of these players!
  • Options
    Well, that was entertaining. Bowyer did a lot tonight to convince me he's not lost the plot.
    1. Played an attacking line-up
    2. Mainly* players in their right places (* which leads on to...)
    3. Admitting where he got it wrong in playing Smyth as RWB
    4. The players were fighting 2nd half.

Apart from Gilbey and Smyth, I didn't think anyone had a bad game, and it's a bit unfair on Smyth. When we went down to 10 it was great to see Washington filling in in the same position. Chuks immense today, Schwartz looked good, Millar good, great work for our 4th goal too. Deji the best of our defenders again. Until the sending off, I thought we were more likely to win. JFC did well today too, and Morgan looked an upgrade on Gilbey which he hasn't the last few games.
  • Options
    Exciting game but shows everyone that we are soft and leak goals too easily.

There were positives, Aneke & Schwartz were linking up well together. JFC was everyone and showed the fight and desire which we expect from our players.

Zero point talking about the negatives. 
  • Options
    What a strange game. I actually wasn't massively horrified by Smyth being started at RWB but it went badly wrong. More and more wingers are being used as wing backs and if you're solid defensively in general then you get the benefit of attacking capabilities and some defensive cover. You won't see Adama Traore making tackles but he knows what space he has to occupy on turnovers. Chelsea did very well converting Moses and Azpilicueta from winger and RB to RWB and centre back as well, but Smyth was just too lightweight to keep up with their winger; watching him get shrugged off effortlessly by a 17 year old really summed it up. Gunter didn't have it in him to handle to issues either. Failed experiment, but Bowyer rectified it. There were lots of positives; Chuks played a full game and was brilliant, Schwartz scored and adds such a sense of urgency in the final third. Everything he does is with the purpose of the ball ending up in the goal as soon as possible and it speeds our whole attack up. Williams made it through well and JFC continues to provide commitment. Albie showed why he frustrates by turning in a decent half of football after being anonymous the match before.
    Gilbey is a frustrating man. He's quick, he can obviously pass and he should be bug enough to be a physical presence. He's hiding from the duels at the moment though and I have no idea why. He was billed as a box to box player, the one we wanted to get in to replace Gallagher in the Championship, but he seems to be finding pockets of space to hide in when the opposition have the ball, like Lawrie Wilson used to do when he was having a bad day, and it's leaving our midfield completely exposed. You'd hope that against Bristol Rovers Williams can play again and we could have Williams, JFC and Morgan until Pratley is back. I'd like to see Bowyer just go for a formation and stick with it now, as the constant shape changes aren't doing us any favours. We should be able to build on the spirit from this game and start going at teams quickly. From there if we can get on the front foot and get Pratley back into the midfield to bring a bit of calm and sense in we could start to see some defensive stability, especially as Famewo and Inniss return as well. We've shown we can definitely get the goals, we just need to sack off conceding so many
  • Options
    Bit like the Wimbledon game , in that we got a team performance 2nd half, need to continue that Saturday with same team and performance, minus Pearce 
  • Options
    Enjoyable game.  I mean enjoyable in the way that being hung upside down with your nadgers in bull clips while being mercilessly whipped by a strangely featured madam in a nazi outfit is enjoyable if you are into that sort of thing.  For the avoidance of doubt I am not into that sort of thing but I did watch a very odd documentary on channel 4 (by accident!)

Horrific but strangely compelling. For the first time in weeks I saw the starting lineup and thought “fair enough”, 4-3-3 with that lot given our sparsity of choice should be good enough to see off Rochdale. Only when Curbs started wafting about Miller playing centrally and three centre halfs did the penny drop that the curse of the tinker man was still in the building. The first half was grotesque. Performances and body language befitting a bemused and disillusioned squad. At half time Bowyer was toast and deservedly so.  But then, square pegs in square holes, the lamentable Gilbey removed and one of those second halfs that restores the faith and makes you wonder what would have happened with a full covered end baying us on.  Funny old game. 

The performances have been dissected well enough in this and the player marks thread already but Gilbey is the one who I watched closely last night. He is being rightly pillioried. But I do see a lot of talent in there - reminds me of Dale Stephens - but he is playing in abject fear. All the classic symptoms are there -  the easy pass then running behind a defender so he can’t get it back, half arsed tackling, drifting away from his man (the first goal was unforgivable). We need to get this guy’s head right or get shot. Quickly in either case. The latter won’t happen so someone with better man management skills than Lee needs to be allocated ASAP. 

Generally though, the second half performance gave a glimmer of hope that there is still some pride in the shirt and maybe even some trust in the management. We need the A team back from the treatment room pronto to shore up the defence and now that Lee has learned to take responsibility for crazy decisions he needs to learn to stop making them in the first place. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strangely after last night I have woke up very positive. 

I am very hopeful this is our turning point and am hopeful for similar to 2019 that we can go on a run and end the season strong. All to play for still and in this hard season teams may run out of steam March/April time. 

Positive last night that Chucks played 90 minutes, think Bowyer needs to trust he can do this more as always has until he come to us. Chucks and Ronnie look like a very good partnership. Milar gives us the pace we have been lacking. 

Get Famewo and Innis back with one of Pratley or Watson playing as a battler and that is a good base to go from again. Play a settled team and trust the players and stop over complicating things and think we will be there or there abouts. 

• Options
    Having not been a big fan of JFC in the past I have been very impressed with him last couple of games - shows what fitness and a run of games can do for your performances I guess.

Maybe the same may happen with Gilbey, though I somewhat doubt it. 

Be interesting when Shinnie, Watson and Pratley are back how the midfield will look. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Rochdale had us under the cosh at the death, and could have easily nicked a 5th if they had some quality.

I'm a bit staggered by how many fans seem to be creaming themselves over a 4-4 draw with Rochdale. It simply isn't good enough.
    It's worth noting that even before the sending off, the second half wasn't all Charlton. Amos had to make a couple of good saves
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I think it buys Bowyer some time for now at least. The shape first half was all wrong, Deji looked uncomfortable on the left side of a back three and was far too high up the pitch at certain points. That along with a couple of other players pushing too high up left us very open at the back. Smyth at right wing back was just crazy as well.

Much better second half though once we seemed to go back to basics. Aneke was superb, Millar was impressive as well and got us up the pitch and Ronnie took his goal very well. 

Fingers crossed we can stop the chopping and changing of players and formations now and find a settled side. 

It was Gunter on the left side of the back three. Oshilaja was central and, as far as I could see, played really well. Their first goal came from Pearce chasing their CF too far up the pitch and leaving us even more out of shape than we were with that line-up!
    Eh? No chance, Deji was definitely on the left and Gunter on the right. That choice was bad enough even without Smyth at RWB. 
    Definitely and what was worrying about that is Pearce’s lack of pace compared to Oshilaja who kept having to check back onto his right foot to pass the ball. I suppose it was a case of who LB trusted in the centre of the three out of those two. Oshilaja had a good game overall and looked more comfortable 2nd half in a four.
    There seemed to be a much more obvious option if you have to play a full back in the centre. Oshilaja right, Pearce centre, Purrington left. Gunter rwb (I'd prefer Matthews personally). 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Rochdale had us under the cosh at the death, and could have easily nicked a 5th if they had some quality.

I'm a bit staggered by how many fans seem to be creaming themselves over a 4-4 draw with Rochdale. It simply isn't good enough.
    It’s almost as if we had 10 men on the pitch at the time!
  • Options
    Having watched an unbelievable turn of events last night a point deserved. On first half and playing staff used then deserved nought! Chuks just one and only flaw he had a better chance than shooting when Schwartz better placed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will he play Barker next game,it could be the answer to out CB problems.But it could leave him with egg on his face.
    Don't get being too young Lee was playing at 17
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Croydon said:

It’s almost as if we had 10 men on the pitch at the time!
    See Killerandflash's post above. Prior to the sending off Amos still had saves to make. Forgive me for not jumping on the 'turning point' bandwagon.
  • Options
    Nothing glaring but I think Amos should have saved at least one of the goals. Not mistakes as such, and I don't want to say which one, but other keepers would have done and indeed, he would have done a few weeks ago is my feeling. I hope he isn't drifting out of form/confidence as he is a key player for us.
  • Options
    Nothing glaring but I think Amos should have saved at least one of the goals. Not mistakes as such, and I don't want to say which one, but other keepers would have done and indeed, he would have done a few weeks ago is my feeling. I hope he isn't drifting out of form/confidence as he is a key player for us.
    I think it's natural. Keepers build partnerships with their defence, which Amos did brilliantly with Inniss and Famewo. Over the last three matches he had Pratley/Pearce then Deji/Pearce then last night's back three. We need some consistency back there and will hopefully get it when Famewo is back. 
  • Options
    LB and then Smythe positioning got found out by a 17 year olds couple of wonder strikes. Gunter never moved from six yard box towards the lad either giving him time and space.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    A trule game of two halves! The pace and power of Chuks and pressing high up the pitch schocked Rochdale. They didn't see our recovery coming. Some of our play mid way in second half was an indication of what we can do with confidence. Just need true CB formation.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Totally bonkers 1st half.
    Totally bonkers 2nd half.

Aneke scored 2 and could've had 4.
    No more of Aneke on the Bench; he was excellent.

Opposite managers have done their homework and know we are brittle at the back.
    Some really good attacking play but we looked like conceding all night.

Some fantastic goals tonight but some poor defending by both teams. 

Conceding 6 goals to Stanley and Rochdale combined and getting 1 point makes you realize that being in the Europa League on a Thursday night is still light years away.
    That sums up people’s expectations since Sandgaard took over,’if you needed the last two games to tell you we’re not near Europa League. 

I can assure you I didn't need the last two games to realize that aiming for the moon is a worthy ambition but trying to leave the earth in the first place is the tricky part.

I think you will find the owner said those ambitions rather than the fans.
    Thomas has put the bar high, we/I am damaged goods and tend to fear the worse.

• Options
    I honestly think if he'd have made the half time subs after 25mins we'd have won it comfortably.
    Gilbey ain't doing it at the moment by a long long way. Basics, he's on his heels, 2nd to react, you can tell by the way he turned his back to the defender when we were in the opposition corner he's low on confidence, he had no need too, you teach kids to turn and face the defender and make it hard for them (unless defending a lead in the last minutes)
    I think he needs a couple of games out, recuperate, start with a clean slate. 
    Pearce, not blaming him for his sending off, he'd have been slaughtered if he pulled out and certainly didn't try to hurt the keeper but his defending and all round game just makes it look hard work. 
    If he'd started Matthews, Morgan In replacement of Smyth and Gilbey I think we'd have won comfortably.

Bowyer now must have a a good idea (I'd hope) of what works and what doesn't.
    If he doesn't we can kiss play offs goodbye. 

Most I've enjoyed a game this season I think.