Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January 2021

Comments

• Options

Yesterday, we saw a forward with no defensive pedigree whatsoever being played in a defensive position which created the weak link in the chain. Had he been picked to play as a winger, Gunter would have been positioned differently and whilst he may still have been beaten, he is a full back with 99 caps so we could reasonably expect better defending. Bowyer created a weak link in the chain and it is mystifying. Somebody like Marshall who actually showed some defensive qualities when he was with us, fair enough. But Smyth has not displayed any firm evidence he could play in that position. That isn’t being critical of Smyth btw. He is what he is. But playing him there was plain stupid. No other word for it.

This all day long. I said it on the match thread just after kick off when I heard it was 5 at the back with Smyth playing right wing back. Nooooo. I'm.all for playing 5 at the back & think it might be our best option......but that's with Maatsen on the left and either Gunter or Matthews on the right. The wing backs need to be defenders first & foremost.  Or at least have a defensive mindset. Smyth is a striker-cum-winger & probably has never played in defense EVER. We have seen previously that both Matthews & Gunter can deliver good crosses - their crossing might actually be better than Smyth's...!
  • Options
    For information purposes for those of us who obviously missed out on some other unknown thread:
    Does Chuks have allergic rhinitis, anemia, depression, fibromyalgia, chronic kidney, liver or lung disease?
    Just so we know why playing 90 minutes is so heroic for him. Thanks.

The physios believe that when he plays past 70 minutes he enters a 'danger zone' where muscular injuries are very likely. Nothing to do with his actual fitness. 
  • Options
    The second half performance saved a lot of the players credibility and probably Bowyer's job .. some great finishing by both sides .. central defence is still a MAJOR worry for us
  • Options

Yesterday, we saw a forward with no defensive pedigree whatsoever being played in a defensive position which created the weak link in the chain. Had he been picked to play as a winger, Gunter would have been positioned differently and whilst he may still have been beaten, he is a full back with 99 caps so we could reasonably expect better defending. Bowyer created a weak link in the chain and it is mystifying. Somebody like Marshall who actually showed some defensive qualities when he was with us, fair enough. But Smyth has not displayed any firm evidence he could play in that position. That isn’t being critical of Smyth btw. He is what he is. But playing him there was plain stupid. No other word for it.

This all day long. I said it on the match thread just after kick off when I heard it was 5 at the back with Smyth playing right wing back. Nooooo. I'm.all for playing 5 at the back & think it might be our best option......but that's with Maatsen on the left and either Gunter or Matthews on the right. The wing backs need to be defenders first & foremost.  Or at least have a defensive mindset. Smyth is a striker-cum-winger & probably has never played in defense EVER. We have seen previously that both Matthews & Gunter can deliver good crosses - their crossing might actually be better than Smyth's...!
    I'm still struggling to work out Paul Smyth's position, and why we were so keen to sign him last season. 

To me he seems the classic sort of player who will do a job, without being great anywhere. He's not prolific enough to be a central striker alongside Chuks, his crossing is nothing special if you play him wide midfield in a 442/424, and he's too lightweight to be in one of the wide positions in the diamond.

His best position is probably as one of the wide forwards in a 433 (as with the Accrington game where he looked quite good) but that's not one of Bowyer's favoured formations.
  • Options
    Not read all comments, sorry if some of these have already been posted

Good 2nd half! On to the next game. #cafc
  • Options
    Ronnie Schwartz bags his first Addicks goal as Charlton share the spoils with @officiallydale in an eight-goal thriller at The Valley. #cafc

• Options

@Chuks_Aneke appreciation tweet... Nine goals for the season #cafc

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaffeministeren 𝘯𝘰𝘶𝘯 𝟏. 𝐀 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝟐. 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐩-𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑. 𝐆𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 (𝘚𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘴𝘰: '𝘙𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘦 𝘚𝘤𝘩𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘻') #cafc

• Options
    Watching the game it was almost as if someone had flicked a switch - we suddenly started to chase and close them down after the start of the second half - good to see some fight and some desire  , never good to let in goals but theirs were particularly painful to watch . Onwards +
  • Options
    1se7 said:
    Watching the game it was almost as if someone had flicked a switch - we suddenly started to chase and close them down after the start of the second half - good to see some fight and some desire  , never good to let in goals but theirs were particularly painful to watch . Onwards +
    One thing that was clear throughout was that defensively Rochdale were an accident waiting to happen. Far inferior to Accrington. 
  • Options
    Rochdale play like Leeds in the Premier.
    Great going forward but woeful at the back.
    Very much like Cafc last night !
  • Options
    That Baah kid is one to keep an eye on, seems he has a knack for scoring a wonder goal with his right foot 

Only 17 as well, imagine he will have plenty of interest

For those of you that didn't see my remarks at HT on the match thread, Baah was in the Palace academy from 2013-2017, released and then was under the successful Kinetic foundation in London from 2017-2019, where Joe Aribo spent time after having various trials at many academies. Joe left the foundation to join Staines before joining CAFC. Joe turned up as a CB at the foundation, before being converted into a mid fielder.
    Josh Maja the Lewisham born lad who left Sunderland for France and Norrington-Davies who was transferred to Stoke yesterday from Sheffield United via a loan at Luton were other Kinetic foundation boys.

Got to speak about all the talent that was picked up by kinetic when released by academies by the manager of Whyteleafe (8th tier team) who is the part time Manager but full time boss of the foundation.

He told me(back in November) that Rochdale had a great talent in Baah and expected him to prove it.
    21 year old Norrington-Davies spent a season on loan at Rochdale. 

Baah showing his talent against cafc wasn't what I wanted to see ! A hefty challenge by anyone early doors would've been my advice but what do I know !

He played 1 match for Whyteleafe before Rochdale picked him up at Just 16 but I was at the valley so never saw him play.

As Whyteleafe may not survive as no games since  playing on November 5th ( the season may be cancelled) I may never find out why Rochdale ?
    Bring him home to proper South London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know our defence is poor but yesterday a lot of our problems in the first half was due to midfielders not tracking runs, not winning challenges and generally poor decision making.

We haven't really got out midfield right since our long injury list last season. We are crying out for a bit of muscle and the occasional reducer tackle when an opposition player gets arsenal. We only really have Pratters to do that and he is not particularly good at it.

I sometimes think that LB thinks all slight players are as 'hard' as he is, they aren't and we get bullied.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    That Baah kid is one to keep an eye on, seems he has a knack for scoring a wonder goal with his right foot 

For those of you that didn't see my remarks at HT on the match thread, Baah was in the Palace academy from 2013-2017, released and then was under the successful Kinetic foundation in London from 2017-2019, where Joe Aribo spent time after having various trials at many academies. Joe left the foundation to join Staines before joining CAFC. Joe turned up as a CB at the foundation, before being converted into a mid fielder.
    Josh Maja the Lewisham born lad who left Sunderland for France and Norrington-Davies who was transferred to Stoke yesterday from Sheffield United via a loan at Luton were other Kinetic foundation boys.

Got to speak about all the talent that was picked up by kinetic when released by academies by the manager of Whyteleafe (8th tier team) who is the part time Manager but full time boss of the foundation.

He told me(back in November) that Rochdale had a great talent in Baah and expected him to prove it.

Baah showing his talent against cafc wasn't what I wanted to see ! A hefty challenge by anyone early doors would've been my advice but what do I know
    !

He played 1 match for Whyteleafe before Rochdale picked him up at Just 16 but I was at the valley so never saw him play.

As Whyteleafe may not survive as no games since  playing on November 5th ( the season may be cancelled) I may never find out why Rochdale ?
    How many more times, Sam your number one priority when you are out and about scouting is to report back to the club key inside information like that you had on the lad Baah. So for that reason I am placing last night's draw firmly at your door! 😉
  • Options
    But he played near enough a full season for MK Dons the season before we bought him!
    There was some story told about the time Chuks first signed for us, that with promotion to the Championship, our training sessions had increased in intensity ..... and his body couldn't cope with that increase in intensity.

So there you have it, Bowyer broke Aneke. Nailed on. FACT!  :smile:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Baah showing his talent against cafc wasn't what I wanted to see ! A hefty challenge by anyone early doors would've been my advice but what do I know
    !

How many more times, Sam your number one priority when you are out and about scouting is to report back to the club key inside information like that you had on the lad Baah. So for that reason I am placing last night's draw firmly at your door! 😉
    @soapboxsam why haven't you got a hot line to Steve Gallen/Avory or any other Steve?

In fact, who needs Steve Gallen when you are on your soap box? 

Sorry mate, I'm bored this afternoon! :smile:

• Options
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The last time I can remember us drawing 4-4 was Burnley A @1976.

The second half said to me that I don't think Bowyer has lost the dressing room.
    If you're 2-4 down at HT to Rochdale and want the manager sacked, I can't see why you'd fight back to 4-4 and nearly win the game.

I have much sympathy for Bowyer re having lost half the team and only being able to replace them from what other clubs had left unsigned.

I also have a lot of sympathy for all the injuries (although do wonder why we get so many injuries in training).

But I do have an issue with how he is setting up the players he does have.
    I really don't believe good managers should be shipping 2 goals a game and 4 in the first half to Rochdale.

It wasn't down to luck, it was quite predictable when these players were given so much space.

Why was Smyth at right wing back instead of Matthews?

Why was Oshilaja the right footed centre half spending so much time in the first half on the left wing?

Gilbey gave Lund to much room and turned his back on the first.

Gunter didn't close their lad down & turned his back on the second.

I've forgotten the 3rd (or 2nd), but the 4th the "wall" was poorly set up and then moved out the way.

So at least 3 of their goals were aided by us getting out of the way, rather than blocking.
    Is that down to Bowyer or the players?

Amos could maybe have done better all round for the 4th.
    Gunter is looking dodgy, but will probably be CH on Saturday.
    Oshilaja was good (not sure about being on left wing) apart from one first half cock up.
    Pearce is looking very ropey.
    Maatsen is not looking reliable, whilst he puts in a lot of effort.
    Williams was ok.
    JFC played well, scored, but still made a couple of cock ups.
    Gilbey was ok
    Smyth showed flashes but doesn't contribute enough
    Aneke was excellent
    Millar was very good
    Schwartz looks like a player
    Morgan did ok and was better than Gilbey
    Washington had a chance but as so often went the wrong way, cutting outside instead of inside.

I was worried about relegation at half time and hoping for promotion on 80 mins.
    At FT I think we could end up anywhere between 2nd and 22nd.
    You don't remember the 4-4 with westham with former addicks scoring all the goals?

Or one at Wembley?

Or the 4-4 v Millwall . or did i imagine that?
    Or the 4-4 away to Ipswich.
    I thought it was obvious I was talking 4-4s v Lancastrian opposition :-)
  • Options
    Can't say that wasn't value for money 

Chukademus Aneke put on a dominant masterclass in centre forward play, Millar looked the part again and is doing what he has been brought in to do 

Out of possession we are still a shambles, massively improved in the second half but not enough urgency to win the ball from too many players. Aneke was the only player winning second balls and that was often after he had been in for the first 

It will make a huge difference when Shinnie, Inniss and Famewo are back but that is going to be too late for this season now I think 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    If Bowyer doesn’t like players ducking out of tackles I am sure he’d be even more pleased with Gunters reaction to the second goal turning his back on a shot. 
    Yes and Gilbey did the same for the first, no closing down & then turned his back.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    It will make a huge difference when Shinnie, Inniss and Famewo are back but that is going to be too late for this season now I think 
    More than half the season left to play, not too late at all.
    Plenty of teams win promotion with late runs.

In fact, it was our own late run that got us promoted 2 seasons ago.