Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southend 1975 - Big Match Revisited

Comments

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    If you think our defending has bad of late, you should have been around in the 80’s. Anyone remember this match ...

https://youtu.be/bzAtO00pVGQ

A couple of familiar faces in the Wednesday team but the state of that pitch. 
    I remember how good Mel Sterland was . He ran the game from Right Back .

What happened to Lawrie Madden ? I wasn't disappointed when he joined the Spanners in the Third tier but somehow he became a legend at Hillsborough and played in the top flight for them . He made a couple of the goals .

I must also mention Ronnie Moore . Whenever we played Barnsley or Wednesday in that era  he always got stick given his Rotherham connections . I enjoyed his celebration of our consolation goal and the Wednewsday fans signing we love you Ronnie .
  • Options
    I'm sure Mike Kelly got the equaliser at Brighton on the 70's with the most waterlogged pitch I've ever seen in my life.
    Can anyone confirm or maybe I imagined it! 
    My first away match outside of London. 

Yes Kelly equalised in the second half far post header which bounced and then rolled ever so slowly over the line. Away fans in raptures.

Brighton rang ragged in the park after the game as viewed from the window of 6 or 7 Lewis coaches parked conveniently outside the away end. A great day and as I have said on a previous thread the first time I heard goodbye horse sung.

Think Kelly was stabbed in the stomach outside the Nags Head. He was a real physical presence in our midfield and a big miss, along with Bowman who also left, under ahem, a cloud. 
    Great day - Great season.Brighton was always a great day out.That game would probably not be played today with that pitch.Ritchine Bowman was a great player for us.Left and went to Reading where he was payer of the year and won a car.Anyway back to Brighton that day.For any old folk on here remember Dave Waldron and co in their end arriving after game started .Think Keithy Giles was there that day.Happy days.Drew 1-1

• Options
    I'm sure Mike Kelly got the equaliser at Brighton on the 70's with the most waterlogged pitch I've ever seen in my life.
    Can anyone confirm or maybe I imagined it! 
    My first away match outside of London. 

Yes Kelly equalised in the second half far post header which bounced and then rolled ever so slowly over the line. Away fans in raptures.

Brighton rang ragged in the park after the game as viewed from the window of 6 or 7 Lewis coaches parked conveniently outside the away end. A great day and as I have said on a previous thread the first time I heard goodbye horse sung.

Think Kelly was stabbed in the stomach outside the Nags Head. He was a real physical presence in our midfield and a big miss, along with Bowman who also left, under ahem, a cloud. 
    Great day - Great season.Brighton was always a great day out.That game would probably not be played today with that pitch.Ritchine Bowman was a great player for us.Left and went to Reading where he was payer of the year and won a car.Anyway back to Brighton that day.For any old folk on here remember Dave Waldron and co in their end arriving after game started .Think Keithy Giles was there that day.Happy days.Drew 1-1

I was at that game.
    I was with Dave Waldron, Jim Jarret and the guys from Middle Park and Mottingham. I don’t remember arriving late, but we often watched the match from the Home end!
  • Options
    I think he did. The ball floated over the line. We were sat at that end.
    I always remember the following programmes with captain David Young on the front cover, with a clenched fist, taken in the Brighton game.

I think Kelly who played 10 games for us and scored 3, was stabbed, but I may be wrong.
    Thanks CE... Glad it wasn't a dream but I was only 10 but it was a great game. 
    I was 12. I'll never forget it though (apart from the goal scorer lol).
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I would have been in The Covered End on the front railings.
    Great days.
    Same here.
    Remember getting hit square in the face by a Peter Hunt effort in the pre-match warm-up. I must have been 8 or 9. 

Same happened to me with Simon Church. I was absolutely fine.

Comedy gold Sporadic.

Was anyone at the pre season friendly at Ebbsfleet when Simon Church had a shot at goal and the ball went over the roof and ended up in North Fleet ?
    The game was on the 23/7/14 and the score was 1-0 to Ebbsfleet. I only remember the date as my son keeps a record of every game he has ever been to on an APP. 

Anyone remember this unusual event when Simon Church hit the heights ?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Richard J said:
    _MrDick said:
    If you think our defending has bad of late, you should have been around in the 80’s. Anyone remember this match ...

What happened to Lawrie Madden ? I wasn't disappointed when he joined the Spanners in the Third tier but somehow he became a legend at Hillsborough and played in the top flight for them . He made a couple of the goals .

I must also mention Ronnie Moore . Whenever we played Barnsley or Wednesday in that era  he always got stick given his Rotherham connections . I enjoyed his celebration of our consolation goal and the Wednewsday fans signing we love you Ronnie .
    I was at this one as well with a Wednesday supporting mate. Killer missed a couple of chances in a relatively low first half but they murdered us in the second with their pace and power, as Wilkinson was leading them back to the First Division. They had a very strong back three in Mick Lyons (ex-Everton), Peter Shirtliff and Mark Smith, a couple of dynamos in midfield, Sterland bombing forward at every opportunity and very mobile strikers in Bannister and Varadi. I think they had just signed Tony Cunningham from Lincoln and, from memory, that may have been his debut, on as a sub for one John Pearson, who signed for us the following year.

We had a couple of post-match pints in the Fat Cat but I still got home on time to watch the highlights of the game on Match of the Day. I believe we were the second of the two games on that night.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Was at the game - not many of us there.Only real memory I have was the constant abuse Ronnie Moore( Ex Rotherham) got from the Massives -hence is celebrating when he scored
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Blucher said:
    Richard J said:
    _MrDick said:

I was at this one as well with a Wednesday supporting mate. Killer missed a couple of chances in a relatively low first half but they murdered us in the second with their pace and power, as Wilkinson was leading them back to the First Division. They had a very strong back three in Mick Lyons (ex-Everton), Peter Shirtliff and Mark Smith, a couple of dynamos in midfield, Sterland bombing forward at every opportunity and very mobile strikers in Bannister and Varadi. I think they had just signed Tony Cunningham from Lincoln and, from memory, that may have been his debut, on as a sub for one John Pearson, who signed for us the following year.

We had a couple of post-match pints in the Fat Cat but I still got home on time to watch the highlights of the game on Match of the Day. I believe we were the second of the two games on that night.
    This was the first of my nine visits to Hillsborough and on the original Match of The Day highlights, myself and Richard Birch (in his sheep-skin coat) were in a shot of the away end. We were absolutely murdered that day after Gary Bannister cracked one in after just 6 minutes, right in front of us. No Lack of effort...we were just out-classed and out powered. They were a good side on their way to promotion. 
  • Options
    I didn't start going to away games until the 1980's , but watching these Big Match re-runs from the 70's I noticed that there does not seem to be any away ends , let alone any segregation . When did these start to appear for the away fan ?.......and latterly the fencing ?
  • Options
    I didn't start going to away games until the 1980's , but watching these Big Match re-runs from the 70's I noticed that there does not seem to be any away ends , let alone any segregation . When did these start to appear for the away fan ?.......and latterly the fencing ?
    You could walk right around the Valley in those days and some used to change ends at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to do that.
  • Options
    I went to that Wednesday match, mainly because at the time it could have been our last game ever as the high court was beckoning. Think we played another game at Swansea then they cancelled a trip to Blackburn so we could sort things out. Dark days indeed.

Although we were skint with a patched up squad, we did pretty well for the first half of the season at least, but that day Wednesday were a bit too strong, albeit after Killer of all people fired some blanks in the first half. I went up by train with a couple of the reprobates who post on here, in those days it was about eight quid return from London, enough change from a tenner for a beer and one of the excellent meat and potato pies they do up there.
  • Options
    You used to occasionally get rucks with away fans behind the main stand at half time and also (rarely) on the East terrace. Different times.
  • Options
    Just found my old footy album from the 70's and Mike Kelly got some important goals besides the Brighton game which thanks to Covered End jogged my memory but I have a brilliant picture of Kelly heading in the winner at the home end against Gillingham.

Certainly made his contribution but shocked about the stabbing....never knew that. 

Great to have a forum like this so when you get old and grey the memories can be revived. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    !975 was the first season I watched Charlton. My dad was an Arsenal fan and I stood on a stool in the North Bank there. No way you could get a stool in a football ground now. It had three legs and each was a truncheon!

My grandad retired and decided to take me to a game. He chose Millwall v Charlron at the Den and the next game was the same fixture the next season. I think both were 1-1 draws. He asked me if I wanted to go regularly and I said yes, but I liked Charlton more than Millwall. I think my first game at the Valley with him was a 3-1 win against Blackpool. 
  • Options
    I used to do that.
    Yep me to.
  • Options
    !975 was the first season I watched Charlton. My dad was an Arsenal fan and I stood on a stool in the North Bank there. No way you could get a stool in a football ground now. It had three legs and each was a truncheon!

My grandad retired and decided to take me to a game. He chose Millwall v Charlron at the Den and the next game was the same fixture the next season. I think both were 1-1 draws. He asked me if I wanted to go regularly and I said yes, but I liked Charlton more than Millwall. I think my first game at the Valley with him was a 3-1 win against Blackpool. 
    I remember the Blackpool game it pissed down and I think 95% of the crowd were packed in the covered end.
  • Options
    I went to that Wednesday match, mainly because at the time it could have been our last game ever as the high court was beckoning. Think we played another game at Swansea then they cancelled a trip to Blackburn so we could sort things out. Dark days indeed.

Although we were skint with a patched up squad, we did pretty well for the first half of the season at least, but that day Wednesday were a bit too strong, albeit after Killer of all people fired some blanks in the first half. I went up by train with a couple of the reprobates who post on here, in those days it was about eight quid return from London, enough change from a tenner for a beer and one of the excellent meat and potato pies they do up there.

I’ve been to that ground many times and wondered what game we went my train as we normally went by your car and I’m still having nightmares over losing 5-4 up there.
  • Options
    Bilko said:

I’ve been to that ground many times and wondered what game we went my train as we normally went by your car and I’m still having nightmares over losing 5-4 up there.
    We did a few runs up to Hillborough back in the day, I missed the 5-4 thankfully, I was at Welling that day, and the half time reports cheered a good proportion of the crowd, 3-1 up........followed by a second half disaster. Was there a 20 yard volleyed own goal by Gritty?
  • Options
    I think he did. The ball floated over the line. We were sat at that end.
    I always remember the following programmes with captain David Young on the front cover, with a clenched fist, taken in the Brighton game.

I think Kelly who played 10 games for us and scored 3, was stabbed, but I may be wrong.
    I was at that game with my nan as I was only a teenager at the time....Kelly scored but didn't it go in of his shoulder rather than a clean header. Does anyone remember the Villa fan who was having a go at the Charlton fans as they came in, not sure what that was all about. 

Remember seeing some fans throw him at a café window on the way back to Hove station, he got thrown out of the ground and obviously was waiting for another go after the game.

Brighton fans then threw bottles from the other side of the platform when the London bound train came in at Hove station.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The Blackpool game was Steve Gritt's debut , he came on as a second half sub.
  • Options
    Bilko said:

I was in hospital for that game after having my appendix out a few days earlier. Result didn’t make me feel any better. 
  • Options
     I have a brilliant picture of Kelly heading in the winner at the home end against Gillingham.
    Was it a diving header?
  • Options
    Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was there (on the East Terrace) but can't remember so many Parkas. Those fur collars.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was there (on the East Terrace) but can't remember so many Parkas. Those fur collars.
    For some reason my parents without my knowledge bought me a brown parka. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    _MrDick said:

Was he deaf?
  • Options
    Bilko said:

Having your own train!  Now that is a proper Addick.
  • Options
     I have a brilliant picture of Kelly heading in the winner at the home end against Gillingham.
    Was it a diving header?
    It was a bullet header by Kelly, cross from the left at the covered end.. Funny it was in the 77th minute just like his goal at Brighton and for more trivia his first goal against Port Vale was in the 88th minute.. I'll take my nerd glasses off now! 
  • Options
    Watched this again this afternoon as it was still on my hard drive. Anyone who thinks The Valley pitch was unplayable today should be thankful it wasn't like The Baseball Ground in the match after ours.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Kelly was stabbed by a girlfriend on more than one occasion during his spell with the club. In order to avoid the bad publicity he was let go. Source my brother in law who played for charlton at the time and was sad to see him go as he was a good player.