Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Interesting Crown Woods alumnus

Comments

• my wife went there
    A lot of social workers did 😉 
  • Charlton legend Alan Hart was in my year.  Played three times for Charlton, scored twice.
  • edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    ŴDOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    Jude Law was at CW briefly.
    I thought he went to Kidbrooke Girls
    I thought we all did!
    he used to go out with my mates wife back then - no relevance to this topic really but.... David Whyte Whyte Whyte was in my year at crown woods 
    What a bastard. What did your mate say? 🙂

Ritchie Bowman was in my year.
    Wiki says Bowman was born 25/9/54 & turned professional March with Charlton March 1973.
    You left school in 1974 aged 20? 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Bowman
  • edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    i was at crown woods 82 - 89 - never heard of him but school was so big you could quite easily not know a lot of people who weren't in your year 

Never heard of him btw, I was there 81-87

@DOUCHER, @EastTerrace do you remember some teachers - Paul Seton, teaching art or DT, and Mandy Carr teaching French, Tony Ring teaching maths (you may have been before his time)?
  • Wiki says he was privately educated at Blackrock College before Uni of East London and Queens Uni Belfast. No mention of the esteemed Crown Woods. If he did go there, it might have been as 'Ian Brown' to make spelling his name easier.
    It might also be because Wikis aren't necessarily accurate.
  • He tells all the shinners that he went to fook the crown woods school.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!
    he used to go out with my mates wife back then - no relevance to this topic really but.... David Whyte Whyte Whyte was in my year at crown woods 
    You were at school and your mate was married?  I thought Crown Woods was in South East London, not South East Louisiana.

As an aside, we had only three written rules at Aske's.  No beard, no moustache, no wife.  Presumably from the time Robert Aske or the Haberdashers set up the school.
  • edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    ŴDOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!

Ritchie Bowman’s son was in my year at Thomas Tallis!
  • I was there in the early 1960's left in 65.
    I wasn't famous and didn't know any famous people apart from Dennis Edwards and Keith Peacock who took a couple of football lessons.
  • Redrobo said:
    ŴDOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!

Wiki says Bowman was born 25/9/54 & turned professional March with Charlton March 1973.
    I was born in August 1955.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton legend Alan Hart was in my year.  Played three times for Charlton, scored twice.
    We must know each other because Alan Hart was in my class at Crown Woods Class A2.

Also I watched Charlton play away at Southend on a Friday night when I remember Alan coming on as a substitute making his league debut for Charlton and scoring. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    100% not at Crown Woods. Kidbrooke School then Alleyns in Dulwich.
  • Wiki says he was privately educated at Blackrock College before Uni of East London and Queens Uni Belfast. No mention of the esteemed Crown Woods. If he did go there, it might have been as 'Ian Brown' to make spelling his name easier.
    Owen o'brian would be much more accurate 
  •  Covered End said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!
    I married one.
    So did I 
    We must know each other because Alan Hart was in my class at Crown Woods Class A2.

Also I watched Charlton play away at Southend on a Friday night when I remember Alan coming on as a substitute making his league debut for Charlton and scoring. 
    Are you sure that A2 wasn't the road you used to get there?

Regarding the Southend match, was that the one where Vince O'Kane got sent off?
  • Redrobo said:
    My grandad taught there. I think he was a head of year and taught economics. Would have been in the 70’s. Mr Williams.
    That’s right, make us all feel very very old. 
    What was his first name? (It was a comprehensive).
    Kenneth 
  • Redrobo said:
    ŴDOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!

well, he could tell she was no virgin before they got married....  :)
  • DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:

Could have been worse, could have been Eltham Green!
    my brother went there - he drew the short straw !!!
    Never......Eltham Green was great 
    my dad went to Eltham Green - he said it had a better reputation than Crown Woods - must have been talking about fighting  :)
  • DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!
    You were at school and your mate was married?  I thought Crown Woods was in South East London, not South East Louisiana.

As an aside, we had only three written rules at Aske's.  No beard, no moustache, no wife.  Presumably from the time Robert Aske or the Haberdashers set up the school.
    just to help for those struggling a bit up top - she went out with jude law when they were both at school - my mate married her after she left school and is still married to her now 
  • https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/as-schoolboy-sinn-feins-eoin-o-broin-found-himself-following-the-troubles-in-northern-ireland-and-trying-to-work-out-why-there-was-so-much-division-39977666.html

It was the mid-1980s when he took an interest in politics while attending Crown Woods Comprehensive in London after realising "the world we lived in wasn't fair". He found himself following the Troubles in Northern Ireland and trying to work out why there was so much division.
    Sounds like an interesting lad.  As someone with family in Belfast and who spent every school holiday there (split between there Cavan & Tipp) during the 70s & 80s, it's a really refreshing outlook and should be welcomed.  My younger cousins and their families have had a far better life since the GFA and we need to see that continue. 

His work on social housing and homelessness should be applauded too.  Politics in the Republic has been almost as bad as the US with the only choice for most of the last 90 years being between Fianna Gael and Fianna Fáil.  People like Ó Broin, on all sides, can only be good for an Ireland for all.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    ŴDOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!

I was born in August 1955.
    My old man went Crown Woods, born November 1955. Nigel Southam if anyone knows him.

He's not that interesting though.
  • Redrobo said:
    ŴDOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Redrobo said:
    I thought we all did!

I cant swear by it but I think Wiki must be wrong there. I went out with his sister in the late 70's and dont remember him being that old then
  • We don't talk about Nigels on here.
  • Jude Law and @ElfsborgAddick share a claim to fame .. both went to John Ball primary school in Blackheath village ((:>)

Are you sure that A2 wasn't the road you used to get there?

Regarding the Southend match, was that the one where Vince O'Kane got sent off?
    Malaysia Addick
    The match in question was played about 47 years ago.
    I cannot remember Vince O’Kane as a player, let alone whether he played and got sent off.
    From memory we lost 2-1, so we were probably only playing with 10 players.
  • We drew 1-1 with a last minute equaliser. I was there.
    O'Kane was sent off. It was a Friday evening.
    At the time I was a dickhead student (not a student any longer) and got on the underground at Seven Sisters paying for one stop.
    Crossed the platform at Barking Station to the mainline and at Southend station paid from the one station before.
    After the game hitched back to London, and amazingly was back in Tottenham (where I lived with other students) by around 11.15 pm.
    No segregation btw.
  • seth plum said:
    We drew 1-1 with a last minute equaliser. I was there.
    O'Kane was sent off. It was a Friday evening.
    At the time I was a dickhead student (not a student any longer) and got on the underground at Seven Sisters paying for one stop.
    Crossed the platform at Barking Station to the mainline and at Southend station paid from the one station before.
    After the game hitched back to London, and amazingly was back in Tottenham (where I lived with other students) by around 11.15 pm.
    No segregation btw.
    I do remember a Friday evening, and I do remember Alan Hart scoring. But that was because he was in my class at Crown Woods.

I also recall that Southend did not have a tannoy system, or if they did it was rubbish.
    This was because when Alan Hart came on as a substitute in the second half, Southend didn’t announce it. I only knew who he was because I knew him and I recall telling people around me who he was.

Regarding Vince O’Kane. I in the 1970’s I was going to approximately 36 games every season, but I just do not recall Vince O’Kane playing for Charlton.

Presumably he only played a few games for Charlton?
  • My only real memory of O'Kane was that he was a tough bastard.
  • From memory O'Kane played alongside Dave Shipperley at the back, they both came through at the same time, big Dave would attack everything in the air and Vinnie would tidy behind him, he was also a good man marker, I believe his career was cut short by injury but stand to be corrected on that.
  • edited January 2021
    seth plum said:
    My only real memory of O'Kane was that he was a tough bastard.
    Died May 2018
     https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3184050#Comment_3184050