Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Swindon | Sat 23 Jan | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town
Saturday 23rd January 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: James Linington (Newport)

Introduction
The way Charlton are performing at the moment you could be mistaken for thinking that they're playing some sadistic game with the supporters, four points from two games considering the opposition isnt great form, but it created a benchmark, and so victory over Bristol Rovers last Saturday ended the run of games without a win that dated back to the win over AFC Wimbledon - Tuesday night and it looked like we were about to start a new run before the customary mistakes returned meaning we left London Road with nothing when we perhaps deserved a little bit more... This Saturday though like any upcoming fixtures is an opportunity to quickly put that result behind us, and so start a run that must soon happen if we have any aspirations of a return to the Championship!!

The Opposition
Name: Swindon Town (23rd) | Manager: John Sheridan
Ground: The County Ground
Reverse Fixture: Swindon Town 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Despite it being late in January we've finally hit the stage of the season where we can say that we've faced every team at least once, we're at the halfway point... Usually this stage of the season will give us a clear reflection of where we are in the Division and what target is potentially required to reach whatever the endgame may be, with other sides having games outstanding (some with four games), it means the Division leaves a false representation so we can only guess what might happen come May.

The reverse fixture at Swindon has been one of the main talking points of our poor run of late. It was a game that Charlton never really controlled and it was very much a different performance to the one we'd seen against AFC Wimbledon just a few days beforehand, it didnt help we conceded first, and with us also conceding last (in what was a 2-2 draw) it kept the unwanted record of failing to win from 1-0 down in the League since the day Luton Town visited South East London in April 2019.

Since that spirited last gasp equaliser for Brett Pitman its been a couple of months of little change for our visitors this Saturday, the draw would leave the Robins in 22nd place, and having had two cancellations have only played three games since. As a result its given John Sheridan little to work on and as a result has seen Swindon drop a place. In those three games however they have recorded one victory (along with two defeats), coming on the road at Ipswich Town which proves that our opponents wont be travelling up the M4 simply to make up the numbers!!

Charlton Team News
The few positives from Tuesday night was the return of Darren Pratley, who amazingly survived until the dying stages before being booked, and a cameo from Andrew Shinnie returning from injury (despite having a hand in what would prove to be the winner) - Its meant that Lee Bowyer should soon be able to play the team that he wants without constraints, provided of course his players firstly learn to stay injury free, and secondly stop playing these childish games...

Suspension Tag" being the latest, it meant that Albie Morgan would miss the fixture against Peterborough yet could return to the team this Saturday, as too could Ben Watson having rejoined training following a slight hamstring injury at Hull City - Akin Famewo on the other hand remains absent from training so we'll surely see a match up of Deji Oshilaja and Jason Pearce in defence, whilst we could yet see a new Addick added to what is now the Valient 918, that of course will depend on whether the Management team can bring in any new players before 12noon tomorrow.

Amos
Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Maatsen
Williams | Pratley | Watson | Millar
Schwartz | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Matthews | Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Stockley | Washington

Prediction
As already mentioned in this preview, its alright for Alan Curbishley to say that every team has a blip (and its convienent we're having ours now), but at the same time its also important that a team comes out of its blip with plenty of time to make the required recovery and push if it wants to achieve promotion come the end of the season. Whilst I have my personal doubts over whether we can manage it anyway, its important we learn from the first half of the season and so turn fixtures like this from draws and defeats into wins... and soon!!

Comments

• Options
    More tinkering. More huffing and puffing. Another defeat . 1-2 

I think I’m turning into Golfie ! 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Nice review Forever. I’d prefer to see Gunter instead of Pearce with Matthew’s at rb and JFC with Watson in cm. Morgan if Watson isn’t available. 

If we don’t win I think the heat will be on Bows, rightly or wrongly!
  • Options
    Concerned about further errors that will cost us. Not sure LB knows what team selection to go for. Anything other than a win won't be good enough against second from bottom. I hope Matthew's starts and Aneke & Ronnie up top.
  • Options
    I just cannot see LB starting Williams before F-Caskey or Morgan, but what do I know, I have not got one team right yet
  • Options
    Let’s hope Watson and Pearce aren’t shoe ins, just because they’re fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We win comfortably , lose this and Thomas will be putting the 'For Sale' sign up
  • Options
    amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    maatsen

wiiliams
    jfc
    morgan
    millar

schwartz
    aneke

3-0 home win, thank you very much 

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    maatsen

wiiliams
    jfc
    morgan
    millar

schwartz
    aneke

This is the best starting 11 of the players currently available.
  • Options
    0-2, or 1-3, obvs.
  • Options
    We win comfortably , lose this and Thomas will be putting the 'Manager For Sale' sign up
    Fixed for you  :D
  • Options
    Please not Pearce.

He should have been sent off twice on Tuesday and still cost us a goal. 

Great warrior but his time is up. Get some kids in to liven things up a bit . We look tired and very mediocre.

• Options
    We need to win this one, anything else and I think TS will seriously be considering Bowyers position

Amos
    Matthews Gunter Deji Maatsen
    Williams JFC Morgan Millar
    Aneke Schwartz 
  • Options
    I think it’s time  for young barker 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    maatsen

wiiliams
    jfc
    morgan
    millar

schwartz
    aneke

thankyou - makes a change not to get a string of comments suggesting we need to go a bit more defensive 
  • Options
    We need to win this one, anything else and I think TS will seriously be considering Bowyers position

Amos
    Matthews Gunter Deji Maatsen
    Williams JFC Morgan Millar
    Aneke Schwartz 
    you must be joking - ridiculous line up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    maatsen

wiiliams
    jfc
    morgan
    millar

schwartz
    aneke

Oi I listed them first! I just put JFC and Morgan on the right sides!
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town
    Saturday 23rd January 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: James Linington (Newport)

Introduction
    The way Charlton are performing at the moment you could be mistaken for thinking that they're playing some sadistic game with the supporters, four points from two games considering the opposition isnt great form, but it created a benchmark, and so victory over Bristol Rovers last Saturday ended the run of games without a win that dated back to the win over AFC Wimbledon - Tuesday night and it looked like we were about to start a new run before the customary mistakes returned meaning we left London Road with nothing when we perhaps deserved a little bit more... This Saturday though like any upcoming fixtures is an opportunity to quickly put that result behind us, and so start a run that must soon happen if we have any aspirations of a return to the Championship!!

The Opposition
    Name: Swindon Town (23rd) | Manager: John Sheridan
    Ground: The County Ground
    Reverse Fixture: Swindon Town 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Despite it being late in January we've finally hit the stage of the season where we can say that we've faced every team at least once, we're at the halfway point... Usually this stage of the season will give us a clear reflection of where we are in the Division and what target is potentially required to reach whatever the endgame may be, with other sides having games outstanding (some with four games), it means the Division leaves a false representation so we can only guess what might happen come May.

The reverse fixture at Swindon has been one of the main talking points of our poor run of late. It was a game that Charlton never really controlled and it was very much a different performance to the one we'd seen against AFC Wimbledon just a few days beforehand, it didnt help we conceded first, and with us also conceding last (in what was a 2-2 draw) it kept the unwanted record of failing to win from 1-0 down in the League since the day Luton Town visited South East London in April 2019.

Since that spirited last gasp equaliser for Brett Pitman its been a couple of months of little change for our visitors this Saturday, the draw would leave the Robins in 22nd place, and having had two cancellations have only played three games since. As a result its given John Sheridan little to work on and as a result has seen Swindon drop a place. In those three games however they have recorded one victory (along with two defeats), coming on the road at Ipswich Town which proves that our opponents wont be travelling up the M4 simply to make up the numbers!!

Charlton Team News
    The few positives from Tuesday night was the return of Darren Pratley, who amazingly survived until the dying stages before being booked, and a cameo from Andrew Shinnie returning from injury (despite having a hand in what would prove to be the winner) - Its meant that Lee Bowyer should soon be able to play the team that he wants without constraints, provided of course his players firstly learn to stay injury free, and secondly stop playing these childish games...

Suspension Tag" being the latest, it meant that Albie Morgan would miss the fixture against Peterborough yet could return to the team this Saturday, as too could Ben Watson having rejoined training following a slight hamstring injury at Hull City - Akin Famewo on the other hand remains absent from training so we'll surely see a match up of Deji Oshilaja and Jason Pearce in defence, whilst we could yet see a new Addick added to what is now the Valient 918, that of course will depend on whether the Management team can bring in any new players before 12noon tomorrow.

Amos
    Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Maatsen
    Williams | Pratley | Watson | Millar
    Schwartz | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Matthews | Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Smyth | Washington

Prediction
    As already mentioned in this preview, its alright for Alan Curbishley to say that every team has a blip (and its convienent we're having ours now), but at the same time its also important that a team comes out of its blip with plenty of time to make the required recovery and push if it wants to achieve promotion come the end of the season. Whilst I have my personal doubts over whether we can manage it anyway, its important we learn from the first half of the season and so turn fixtures like this from draws and defeats into wins... and soon!!
    Good preview again. I think you’re right with LB resting JFC, as he’s alluded to this previously. Morgan and prats in the middle of the park would be my preference, as Watson needs a solid week of training to get up to speed. Morgan also gives us that forward pass that Watson doesn’t. 
    Upfront I’d like Ronnie to start, maybe with Conor, to see if they fit together. 
    Pearce will play, simply bc we don’t have other options, and I think LB would prefer a natural CH alongside Osh. Personally I’d like to see him dropped. 

2-0 Morgan and Ronnie. 

• Options
    Amos
    Matthews, Oshilaja, Pearce, Maatsen
    JFC
    Morgan, Shinnie, Millar
    Aneke, Washington 

Rest for Gunter I think, Pratley dropped for this one as I think we’ll be offensive, Shinnie thrown back in cos whilst we’ve suffered at centre back his absence has gone under the radar, one of the most important players in the squad for me, I think Schwartz is still not ready by the looks of things.

We’ll win this one I’m sure if it, 2-1 Aneke x2
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    maatsen

wiiliams
    jfc
    morgan
    millar

schwartz
    aneke

Eurgh I feel dirty... Agreeing with the Doucher. 
    everybody yields to the might douch eventually
  • Options
    Our 'blip' has lasted a quarter of the season so far - let's hope we see the end of it this weekend or it ain't no blip
  • Options
    2-0 and a straight forward victory. Look forward to hearing how we’ve turned the corner as we make it two wins in three.
  • Options
    Is that THE John Sheridan ... who for that brief few minutes thought that he had put Leeds up before Peter Shirtliff made himself a legend? 

I’m going for 2-1 with them going one Nil up first, to match the symmetry. 
  • Options
    Yep that John Sheridan