Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• edited March 2021
    Grealish Rice/Henderson Mount

Sterling Kane Foden

Though thing Southgate wouldn’t play Mount and Grealish
  • Pickford out for the next international break - Gudmundsson injured him which might help out his long time teammate in Nick Pope!
  • So the squad for the WCQ is out. 

Here it is:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham United, loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton),   Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

Thoughts everyone? Been a busy day on the CAFC front so appreciate some may have missed it! 

No Trent is the stand out for me. Great to see JLingz back too. Obvious recalls to Shaw and Stones and a first call up for Watkins. 

• Decent squad, Shaw, Stones and to a lesser extent Lingard deserve their call ups as they've all been playing really well. 

Not sure what the point is in calling up Bellingham, as will he even be allowed to travel? The CL ties between Leipzig/Liverpool and City/Monchengladbach had to be played in Budapest.
  • Big call leaving out TAA
  • Big call leaving out TAA
    We have so many quality right backs, that there's no justification in picking a tired and out of form TAA

Especially when the rivals are all playing at top clubs as well, Chelsea, Man City and Atletico
  • edited March 2021
    Big call leaving out TAA
    We have so many quality right backs, that there's no justification in picking a tired and out of form TAA

Especially when the rivals are all playing at top clubs as well, Chelsea, Man City and Atletico
    Klopp knows half of his squad are knackered as he's given a number of them an entire week off from training before (most) join up for the internationals.

"Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gini Wijnaldum, Thiago, Diogo Jota and Andy Robertson have all been granted time off this week".

It means that now he's not in the squad, TAA will now benefit from a 3 week gap between Liverpool games which will do him the world of good. I think he'll still be in the Euro squad.
  • How has Watkins got a call up and not Bamford?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Should do the Football Manager trick of giving any dual nationality players with a bit of promise a cap early on, 89th min sub appearance does the job.

Or could have just given him a game v San Marino.
  • agim said:
    How has Watkins got a call up and not Bamford?
    Bamford is out injured at the moment.
  • agim said:
    And also not a very good footballer
  • agim said:
    Disagree. Think he’s quite underrated. 
  • agim said:
    Like Vardy, done it at most levels. (League 2 aside)
  • Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham, on loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

This midfield selection shows how the Premier League and increasingly the EFL are so dependant on foreign players for midfield skill and creativity .. I M O the above selection is weak even if a couple show promise for the future
  • Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham, on loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

This midfield selection shows how the Premier League and increasingly the EFL are so dependant on foreign players for midfield skill and creativity .. I M O the above selection is weak even if a couple show promise for the future
    Looking ahead to the Euros, you add Henderson into that mix. And Grealish. Meaning you have a selection that includes the likes of:

Henderson (lifted the Champions League trophy)
    Bellingham (stand out for one of the Champs League quarter finalists)
    Foden (nuff said)
    Mount (key figure for a prem form team and champs league quarter finalist)
    Grealish (admit he sits behind the front guys more but still gets into most sides for me)

And thats before you consider the merits of someone like Rice, who has been superb this season.
  • Not sure how Dier's sneaked in. Spurs have been a real nightmare show at the back recently so it would have been a good time to call Konsa up, especially with Mings in the squad as well. If Southgate likes having Dier there because he can also play holding midfield, I remember Konsa never looked too out of place there for us
  • edited March 2021
    I keep changing my mind daily almost on the team I like...... todays offering includes:

Pope (Henderson / Pickford)

James (TAA / Trippier)
    Stones (Konsa for me)
    Maguire (Coady)
    Shaw (Chilwell)

Bellingham (Lingard)
    Henderson (Rice)
    Mount (Grealish)

Foden (Rashford)
    Kane (Calvert-Lewin)
    Sterling (Sancho)

Feel like the squad is clarifying in my mind for the Euros. That front 6 names is superb.
  • I've resigned to Southgate playing 3-4-3 and if that is the case, this is my preferred team based on the current squad

Pope
       Walker    Stones    Maguire
    James   Rice     Mount       Shaw
          Foden               Sterling
                        Kane
  • Sponsored links:

• agim said:
    He's also not injured, I'm sure he'll play tonight
  • These WCQ are a strange one as the opposition is pony. When it comes to the Euros I think he may side with a defensive back 4, as in standard full backs. I’d like to see him play Rice and Mount in the middle then have a license to pick the other 4 out of many options.
  • Bamford again tonight.
  • agim said:
    Bamford again tonight.
    14 goals and 6 assists for the season. Very impressive. 
  • Grealish for me has to start 
    Henderson is the glue
    Rice will play against the better attacking teams too

I'd like

Pope
    TAA
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw
    Henderson
    Mount
    Grealish
    Foden
    Kane
    Sterling 

Bellingham
    Sancho
    Rice
    Rashford

All pushing for starting places.   Been hugely impressed by Bellingham in the Champions League.  Great test coming up v City.

• I've resigned to Southgate playing 3-4-3 and if that is the case, this is my preferred team based on the current squad

Pope
                        Kane
    Maybe against Poland he might, but surely Southgate doesn't need to play 3 centre backs against San Marino and Albania.
  • Don't forget Maddison in the midfield options. 
  • Pope

Walker, Stones, Maguire

TAA, Grealish, Henderson, Foden, Shaw

Kane, Sterling. 

I would play Maddison or Mount instead of TAA or Walker in a 433. 

Pope
                        Kane
    Maybe against Poland he might, but surely Southgate doesn't need to play 3 centre backs against San Marino and Albania.
    I feel like with the number of defenders that have been called up 3 at the back is likely. I'd much prefer a 4 as I think it's a waste of our attacking talent but we must wait and see.