Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs on Andy Hunt

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    The player I liked the best. I loved that season when we won the Championship, he was awesome.
    The away games when we wore yellow were magic, I can’t remember us losing.
    Yellows, yellows, yellows.
    Two hat tricks in two consecutive away games was a highlight, Stockport and Norwich I think, was at both.
    “thats a superb hat-trick from Andy Hunt”

Mark Mansfield on commentary, and we are tearing that league to pieces. 
    That league season for me was the height of my Charlton supporting life. Was a 19 year old in the first year of uni, remember tuning in to Capital Gold to listen to games on the south coast. Hunt is always forgotten in the best striker conversations which is absurd. He should be mentioned in the same breath as Clive, Bent etc imo. Had a wand of a left foot
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Simonsen said:
    Easily the best touch of any Charlton player I've seen. World class touch. There wasn't a ball he couldn't control in an instant. 

The goals were on top of that and he was getting better with every season in that regard. 
    Steady on
    I've never seen a centre-forward with a better touch. I've seen plenty of forwards who could score brilliant goals and display amazing skills against great teams but Hunt's touch was up there with the best. 

If he had been on the end of that Morgan through ball on Saturday, his second touch would've been knocking it past the keeper into the net.
  • Options
    I was at the front of the West Stand when he and his wife came back to visit for a match a couple of seasons ago. He was introduced to the crowd and did a presentation or something, but before/after was having a chat. I was amazed that he (and his wife) seemed genuinely surprised that he was still remembered by so many people. 

Am happy to report that there were plenty of Addicks giving him love and he walked up the steps smiling. 
  • Options
    Sorry if it’s already been said but didn’t he get a hat-trick against Stockport at home as well? I seem to remember we beat them 4-0. 
  • Options
    imagine what a 'prime' Mendonca / Hunt would be worth in today's market

great player
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Sorry if it’s already been said but didn’t he get a hat-trick against Stockport at home as well? I seem to remember we beat them 4-0. 
    Got a hat-trick in both games against Stockport that season.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Got a hat-trick in both games against Stockport that season.
    And away at Norwich. 3 hat-tricks in one season....not bad eh! 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Easily the best touch of any Charlton player I've seen. World class touch. There wasn't a ball he couldn't control in an instant. 

The goals were on top of that and he was getting better with every season in that regard. 
    Jensen, Di Canio.  But his hold up play was superb 
  • Options
    I always thought it didn’t get talked about enough how we had 3 strikers forced to retire through injury within a couple (?) of years. And we think we’re unlucky now!

Was it Hunt who came back to train with us around 2002/2003 but it didn’t work out?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Hat trick away at Norwich saw me lump on for top scorer and collect tidy sum that season. 
     https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/jan/24/match.sport5

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't realise he had such a good strike record for us.  Always wanted to go to visit his hotel which sounds great.
  • Options
    Our car broke down on the way to visit friends the day of that Norwich away hat-trick. I couldn't go for that very reason. We were getting towed back home and I still cheered when I got the result.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I always thought it didn’t get talked about enough how we had 3 strikers forced to retire through injury within a couple (?) of years. And we think we’re unlucky now!

Was it Hunt who came back to train with us around 2002/2003 but it didn’t work out?
    Yeah played in a couple of reserve games
  • Options
    It was such a shame he didn't get a second crack at the top division with the confidence of that amazing season in the Championship under his belt. During the 98/99 season he wasn't quite ready to make an impact.
  • Options
    It is sad to think wat he could have gone on to achieve. Wasn't his last touch for us a goal?
    He was just about to get picked for Austria, for whom he qualified via his wife.
  • Options
    It is sad to think wat he could have gone on to achieve. Wasn't his last touch for us a goal?
    He was just about to get picked for Austria, for whom he qualified via his wife.
    Was he actually going to commit to Austria? 
  • Options
    Grandparent i think - i don't think you can qualify via marriage, can you?
  • Options
    Think I saw Andy's last game for us against Chelsea reserves at Kingstonian's ground. He was clearly suffering, really sweating. I thought he was a great player. Sad he financially missed out by having to retire early.
  • Options
    Grandparent i think - i don't think you can qualify via marriage, can you?
    I thought I'd read it was his wife but I can well believe it was his grandparents.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Was he actually going to commit to Austria? 
    No idea, I'd just read somewhere they were going to pick him so I assume they'd talked to him beforehand.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    The player I liked the best. I loved that season when we won the Championship, he was awesome.
    The away games when we wore yellow were magic, I can’t remember us losing.
    Yellows, yellows, yellows.
    Two hat tricks in two consecutive away games was a highlight, Stockport and Norwich I think, was at both.
    “thats a superb hat-trick from Andy Hunt”

Mark Mansfield on commentary, and we are tearing that league to pieces. 
    Pringle was the real star of the Norwich game. Their defence couldn’t cope with him running at them. He set up chance after chance and a double hat-trick for Hunt was a real possibility that day.
  • Options
    they don't make 'em like Andy H any more
  • Options
    Speaks with such clarity of mind and great to see how Andy didn't allow what would have been a devastatingly painful and premature end to his career define him. In fact, it's difficult not to be envious of how happy he looks in his surroundings given all that is happening here. Good luck to him. He deserves it.
  • Options
    He got long Covid before it was fashionable. Such a shame.
  • Options
    I’m always surprised that him scoring with his last ever touch in professional football isn’t made a bigger deal of. Has that ever happened before? Excluding retirement after tournaments and shootouts etc?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I’m always surprised that him scoring with his last ever touch in professional football isn’t made a bigger deal of. Has that ever happened before? Excluding retirement after tournaments and shootouts etc?
    Graham Alexander did it against us for Preston the season we smashed League 1, with a stoppage time free-kick to make it 2-2.

Stuart Pearce's final kick should have been a goal, but he missed a penalty 4 minutes into stoppage time.