Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• Posted this on the COVID thread but probably more appropriate here. I got a text from my Gp surgery this morning inviting me to book first jab at Charlton House. Have booked for 4th March being the first available but slots available every day after then on the booking app.

Very easy to book, had to put in my date of birth and nothing else.

I’m 47 with no known underlying health conditions and I’m very surprised to have been offered the jab so soon but am delighted to be able to take them up on the offer. 
    I got the same notification from my GP practice, I'm impressed with the efficiency of the booking system, never mind the speed of the vaccination programme!
  • Had a lump come up on my neck, under the skin, about the size of a large pea. Went docs this morning, as can't be careful enough with lumps. Turns out its most likely a raised lymph node (I've been referred for ultra sound and blood test), a reaction to the vaccine. Apparently a lot of women have been getting them in their breasts after the vaccine and have seeked medical advice worried it might be cancerous.
    Hope all goes well mate.
  • Also got a text from the GP this morning. Vaccine in Swanley tomorrow lunchtime.
    Great news.
    Big hug and kisses from me xx
  • Also got a text from the GP this morning. Vaccine in Swanley tomorrow lunchtime.
    Great news.
    Big hug and kisses from me xx
    Oh thank you : :smile:

• Just chatting to my diabetic nurse and I asked her the question about the surgery having the stock of the vaccine I need for the second jab. 

I had Pfizer yesterday and I said what happens if I turn up for my second and they only have Oxford. 

She seems to think that in three months time we will be mixing the vaccines . 

So that was a surprise 
  • Sponsored links:

• what’s peoples approach been to alcohol consumption in days leading up / week after vaccine? 

Only advice I’ve seen was from a doc linked to Drinkaware
  • what’s peoples approach been to alcohol consumption in days leading up / week after vaccine? 

Made no difference to me.
    I think if it was an issue the government spokesman or whoever would have mentioned it. 

Made no difference to me.
    I think if it was an issue the government spokesman or whoever would have mentioned it. 
    I drank evening before I had it, and the evening of the day I had it. 

Apart from usual side effects of the jab, seems not to have been a problem. 
  • I don’t think the government will say don’t drink as loads of people won’t get the jab, because giving up booze for two weeks will fill some with dread. 

I had mine yesterday and I’m off the booze, that’s mainly due to my partner being full term.

• I am fascinated by the EU  fixation with the AZ vaccine not being suitable for over 65's, Merkel who is 66  states she can not have the AZ vaccine as she is outside the German reccomendations, I wonder whet her excuse would be if she was 64, surely the age reccomendations are arbetory , why pick on 65 and not 63 or 67, makes no sense to me.   

Very pleased for you
  • Dansk_Red said:
    I am fascinated by the EU  fixation with the AZ vaccine not being suitable for over 65's, Merkel who is 66  states she can not have the AZ vaccine as she is outside the German reccomendations, I wonder whet her excuse would be if she was 64, surely the age reccomendations are arbetory , why pick on 65 and not 63 or 67, makes no sense to me.   
    The EU regulator has approved the AZ vaccine, it's individual governments which have raised doubts

Which slightly begs the question why they agreed to allow the EU to purchase the vaccines centrally, if they weren't going to accept the vaccines bought and approved by the EU
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Dansk_Red said:
    I am fascinated by the EU  fixation with the AZ vaccine not being suitable for over 65's, Merkel who is 66  states she can not have the AZ vaccine as she is outside the German reccomendations, I wonder whet her excuse would be if she was 64, surely the age reccomendations are arbetory , why pick on 65 and not 63 or 67, makes no sense to me.   
    As more data emerges and the dust settles on infection rates, hospitalisation rates and death rates I suspect that those countries that have placed restrictions on the AZ vaccine will not only look over cautious but there will be quite a public backlash in those countries. South Africa has decided not to use the AZ at all. I suppose it’s worth remembering that vaccine hesitancy is more widespread on mainland Europe than in the U.K. 
  • Dansk_Red said:
    The EU regulator has approved the AZ vaccine, it's individual governments which have raised doubts

Which slightly begs the question why they agreed to allow the EU to purchase the vaccines centrally, if they weren't going to accept the vaccines bought and approved by the EU
    To be fair, there was a lot of gambling on success and rightly so. Companies needed the money for the research.

The evidence is now out there. The gap to second jab is more effective, it works for all age groups. The EU needs to get its finger out and start protecting their citizens. Especially those most at risk. We have done 19 million!
  • Redrobo said:
    Dansk_Red said:

To be fair, there was a lot of gambling on success and rightly so. Companies needed the money for the research.

The evidence is now out there. The gap to second jab is more effective, it works for all age groups. The EU needs to get its finger out and start protecting their citizens. Especially those most at risk. We have done 19 million!
    My point was that you either have a central EU scheme or you don't

If the EU buys a vaccine AND the European Medicines Agency approves it, why do individual governments then need to add another level of control? 
  • Redrobo said:
    Dansk_Red said:

My point was that you either have a central EU scheme or you don't

If the EU buys a vaccine AND the European Medicines Agency approves it, why do individual governments then need to add another level of control? 
    And therein is the main problem with the EU - and I voted remain !!!

Bureaucracy is its Achilles heel   
  • robroy said:
    I don’t think the government will say don’t drink as loads of people won’t get the jab, because giving up booze for two weeks will fill some with dread. 

I had mine yesterday and I’m off the booze, that’s mainly due to my partner being full term.

Yes - the thought of no Rioja for 2 weeks is horrific !!!

In fact, if I had to abstain for 2 weeks, I may well end up in hospital !!!
    Agree, and I know your only joking. but in all seriousness, if you were told that after having the jab if you drink alcohol it will lessen the chance of it being effective, wouldn’t it make you think twice? 

if people can’t go two weeks without a drink to give a vaccine the maximum chance of potentially saving their life, then they’ve a serious problem they need to address badly. 

Im surprised not more official guidance has been given on this 
  • robroy said:
    I don’t think the government will say don’t drink as loads of people won’t get the jab, because giving up booze for two weeks will fill some with dread. 

Yes - the thought of no Rioja for 2 weeks is horrific !!!

In fact, if I had to abstain for 2 weeks, I may well end up in hospital !!!
    Agree, and I know your only joking. but in all seriousness, if you were told that after having the jab if you drink alcohol it will lessen the chance of it being effective, wouldn’t it make you think twice? 

if people can’t go two weeks without a drink to give a vaccine the maximum chance of potentially saving their life, then they’ve a serious problem they need to address badly. 

Im surprised not more official guidance has been given on this 
    No.
    It will still lessen the risk so is still good.
  • edited February 2021
    That’s going to be my approach too

I’ve just googled it. Recommends don’t drink for two weeks