Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    probably a silly question, but if you have antibodies still in your system from having the virus in the last few months, are you less likely to get the adverse reactions to the vaccine that so many people seem to be getting? 
  • Options
    Pub gardens expected to open April 12th.
    It's recommended you don't drink for 2 days before and 2 weeks after a Covid vaccination.
    So if I'm not jabbed by March 27th I'm fooked.
    Come on NHS this is starting to look too close for comfort.
    Didn’t know any of this when I got jabbed, drank the night before and the day of the jab and pretty much every day since.
  • Options
    probably a silly question, but if you have antibodies still in your system from having the virus in the last few months, are you less likely to get the adverse reactions to the vaccine that so many people seem to be getting? 
    In fact you are more likely to have a reaction
  • Options
    Yep definitely, I certainly did
  • Options
    What’s the reasoning behind that mate out of interest?
  • Options
    I'd guess because the fever etc. is a sign that your antibodies have kicked in and are working to defend your body?
  • Options
    clive said:
    My wife was lucky enough to get a walk in at Gravesend today, over 60. However we can’t see how to book a second appointment, anybody been in that situation?

Any advice gratefully accepted.
    This site may help 
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    Thanks but doesn’t let you continue once you put in date of birth.
    Your |GP should let you know the date of your 2nd vaccine nearer the time.

You could also speak to a pharmacy that is vaccinating and they may be able to get you on the national booking system.
  • Options
    When you have antibodies as a consequence of previous infection and an antigen (the vaccine) is introduced then your bodies immune system including antibodies and other immune T, B and NK cells are immediately activated into responding. The bodies immune responses including shivers as part of a fever inducing cytokines which can cause inflammatory responses making you ache. 
  • Options
    More likely (I read/heard somewhere).
  • Options
    Enjoy. It is the road to freedom 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Don't drink for two weeks after a jab? Sod that.
    I’m one week in and doing okay so far. I might struggle tonight though when burton go two up
  • Options
    Is the second vaccine the same as the first.....i.e. same strength and same dosage?
  • Options
    2 friends of mine (early 50s) with no medical issues as far as I know, are getting their vaccine next week. They're in Headcorn in Kent
  • Options
    Really surprised, but I'm getting my vaccine next Sunday. I'm in Group 9 so they're really going through the age groups 
  • Options
    Really surprised, but I'm getting my vaccine next Sunday. I'm in Group 9 so they're really going through the age groups 
    Maybe a lot of people in your area who have refused to have it, meaning you move rapidly up the queue? 
  • Options
    What area do you live in? 
    I can’t believe anyone is getting it in group 9 yet. I have heard that some people have been invited because of a past illness on their record, and several mix ups of calling up the wrong person.
    Have the vaccine - and then ask!
  • Options
    I had my Pfizer vaccine yesterday at the health centre in Orpington. I am in Group 6 so on right on target. All ok so far
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    What area do you live in? 
    I can’t believe anyone is getting it in group 9 yet. I have heard that some people have been invited because of a past illness on their record, and several mix ups of calling up the wrong person.
    Have the vaccine - and then ask!
    Golders Green North London 

Surprised to be called so early, but as I mentioned two friends of mine in Headcorn also in Group 9 have also been invited 
  • Options
    If we’re getting to group 9 in some places, has there been any word on plans for group 10 (everyone else)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My friend had hers last week, she's 58, lives in Woolwich. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    3 members of my team have tested positive and are symptomatic - two of them were vaccinated over a month ago.  Of them one has been feeling quite ill for afew days, the other two just got headaches and felt under the weather for a day.

What is interesting is that we have all worked through the pandemic and none have tested positive until now.
    Okay, silly question time ....... 

Once you've been vaccinated, will any reaction to the vaccine show positive in a Covid test?

No I don't believe so.

Just a coincidence - but I was more interested that although immunisation prevents the worst effects it clearly doesn't necessarily stop you feeling ill if you become infected.

Interesting info from you.
    Without knowing the age or general health of your colleagues, hearing that two were positive after 4 weeks after having a jab yet had no symptoms and the other one had mild symptoms of SARS-Cov-2 then let's hope that is replicated all over the Country,
    If the virus is still looking for new hosts.

All the designers of the different Vaccines have said No Hospitalisation or serious illness is the main aim.
    Mild illness and Asymptomatic would be a fantastic result in the great majority of the population. 

Ps.Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

They are between 30 and 60.  All had some symptoms but only one was unable to return to work(ing from home) the next day. 

Yes I get that about no hospitalisation and although I work in health and should know better, convinced myself it would be as effective as the flu vaccine, because that's what I wanted to believe.
    It might be after the 2nd jab ....?

If we go back to late November, both the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Pfizer were calling the two doses: Prima and boost. (Still are)
    Necessity is the Mother of invention so the twelve week narrative was put in place as the Kent, South African and Brazilian variants reared their ugly spikes and time was of the essence as we moved into December with the R number going up even before Xmas as well as during and up to the new year. Fortunately the 12 week gaps between doses helps the maturity of the vaccines which appears Serendipitous but in the Virologists we trust.

Now will the second doses (boost) also give longevity ? The Epidemiology and Virology professionals are still accessing the data from the trials and from Israel who were the first to vaccinate 50% of their population. 

The UK have folk who had two doses by 3rd January and 21 days have now elapsed so important data will be garnered each and every day as time moves on and the amount of transmissions of the virus can be monitored for asymptomatic, mild and hopefully hardly any Hospitalisations.

The Vaccine v Virus race continues.

I see that the virus variants all come from areas with a tradition of celebratory dance:

Brazil:  Samba
    South Africa: Township Jive
    Kent: Morris dancing.

I'm not sure what's going on, but something should be done about it.

Good detective work.
    That would explain why Michael Flatley is bricking it.

• Options
    The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is a human adenovirus viral vector COVID-19 vaccine developed by Janssen Vaccines, which is part of Johnson & Johnson in the Netherlands, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

So are Janssen just being clever by saying they have a one dose vaccine ?
    Can't see the difference with our own Oxford-AstraZeneca which is also a traditional adenovirus viral vector last time I checked.

Where does the longevity come from in the JJ vaccince ?  Does it have the legs ?

No prima and boost dose ?

Like to hear Pollard and Gilbert views as altruism and business are always awkward when trying to dovetail.
  • Options
    At last I have managed to get a doc to agree that because I have a disorder listed in group 6 I should be, in fact, in group 6 and not group 8. Unlike my own GP he has also managed to change it on the computer. Meanwhile I've now aged to around 95 and should be in an earlier group.

Hope you get the vaccine very quickly now
  • Options
    So of the two major vaccines in circulation currently: The Oxford-Astrazeneca and the Pfizer, has it been determined yet which one is deemed 'better' due to the higher rates of protection? They aren't identical jabs so surely one has to be better than the other right? 

I understand it can't run as a mainstream story because people would turn against one of the jabs in favour of the other, when either one is better than nothing of course. 

If so, will people be able to choose in the future which of the multiple of vaccines are available to get, or is it simply pot luck as to whether you get the 'better' vaccine? 
  • Options
    So of the two major vaccines in circulation currently: The Oxford-Astrazeneca and the Pfizer, has it been determined yet which one is deemed 'better' due to the higher rates of protection? They aren't identical jabs so surely one has to be better than the other right? 

I understand it can't run as a mainstream story because people would turn against one of the jabs in favour of the other, when either one is better than nothing of course. 

If so, will people be able to choose in the future which of the multiple of vaccines are available to get, or is it simply pot luck as to whether you get the 'better' vaccine? 
    Not much to choose between the two - at the moment, but the Pfizer should be easier to tweak to counter mutations. 
    Mixing vaccines is likely to prove to provide greater protection which will be an interesting debate.
    I see Europe have managed to vaccinate just 4% so far, and expect to vaccinate 70% by the end of September. Pathetic really.
    I have forgotten the ladies name that was in charge of ordering in all the vaccines, but she deserves recognition. Outstanding work. 
  • Options
    Has any one under 64 with underlying conditions been able to book via the nhs website - is it location specific linked to your nhs number 
  • Options

As far as I can make out there are pluses and minuses between them both.