Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many games of football do you watch on average at the weekend?

Despite the Charlton game being postponed on Saturday, I worked out I still watched 4 games this weekend. Now, there's nothing particularly interesting about that, although its more than I normally would watch, but it sparked a debate amongst a group chat I have between mates about the amount of football that's on TV at the moment. 

Consensus was pretty split. Half thought it was great the amount of football on particularly given there's nothing to do at the moment, while the other half thought it was a bit overwhelming. I'm tempted to sit on the fence and say, I think being able to watch football is one of the few things to look forward to at the moment (particularly Charlton), but I do think football on live tv should be more of a treat, not blindly have every game on. Of course, nothing stopping me not watching Brighton v Spurs etc, but there's really not much else to do!

So, if Charlton aren't playing do people watch loads of games still, or is it Charlton or nothing? 

Comments

• 1 live game a weekend, at most 2

I do watch the Quest highlights and usually both MOTDs as well, though not necessarily live
  • edited February 2021
    Varies for me as I'll watch a game but wont keep watching if its rubbish... This weekend for me

Hull v Swindon
    Arsenal v Man Utd
    Southampton v Aston Villa (Had it on didnt pay full attention)
    Leicester v Leeds
    West Ham v Liverpool 
  • Living on my own during a lockdown - I've been watching tons of football!

The last few weeks I've been on the sofa all day from kick off of the first game to full time in the final game - usually 4 English games a day (including Charlton on the Saturday), plus a bit of Spanish football to fill in the gaps. This weekend I felt a bit of a craving to get some fresh air, so skipped the first game on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday evening I had Saints v Villa on the telly and the Copa Libertadores on my tablet. 

In some ways I'm enjoying it, and I'd definitely rather have the games to watch than not. Have to admit though, come 10pm on Sunday night, when all the football's finished, I tend to feel a bit rueful that I've not really done anything useful with my weekend, although I have found time to do some decent river walks before I retire to the sofa.
  • edited February 2021
    Usually watch at least 2 on a Saturday and then 1 of the Sunday games.

Can be more though if there's a big Spanish or Italian game as well.
  • edited February 2021
    1 live if I'm watching Charlton,and usually MOTD.  More than that and I'm in for some serious negotiating or moodies.
  • Just charlton
  • Depends how we play. If we win, I am likely to watch some other games over the weekend. When we had our good run earlier in the season, I was watching any football I was able to. When we lose, however, I just try to not think about football as it winds me up and I find other things to do.

Just like with international tournaments - I tend to watch all the games until England get knocked out and then I disengage somewhat.
  • Apart from the 2 home games we could attend in December, havent watched us or any live games since lockdown 1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• never watch a whole game (apart from ours) from start to finish anymore - just flick through the channels (if I'm lucky enough to get to sit down and watch the tv!)
  • never watch a whole game (apart from ours) from start to finish anymore - just flick through the channels (if I'm lucky enough to get to sit down and watch the tv!)
    You must be the 'man of the house' ...... and in charge of the remote.  :smile:

• Oggy Red said:

Charlton or nothing.

Same 
  • Charlton's games,
    Quest highlights if Charlton's game's gone well
    MOTD for some actual recognisable football
    Rarely anything else
    Non-league v top division sides in FA Cup on the rare occasion it happens and BBC shows the lower ranking sides, as they should.#
    Average barely above 1 match per weekend
  • I only watch charlton don't have the energy or intrest in anything else, tried watching man City instead Saturday. I fell asleep after 20 mins 
  • Can't focus on anything but us. Watched an old Charlton match when Pompey was cancelled. Then saw about 15 minutes of WBA v Fulham but turned it off despite it being quite entertaining game, it meant nothing to me. Yesterday I saw that Match of the Day was on, turned to that, but it went straight off when I saw they were showing Chelsea (not really sure what I was expecting).
  • edited February 2021
    Single parent with teenagers who are either studying or gaming so I have the tv to myself.

Usually watch at least one live game on a Saturday & 2 on a Sunday. Weekend just gone I watched 2 on sat & 3 on sunday ( all Sky). Didn't realise the WBA v Fulham match was live on BBC otherwise might have watched that as well. Will probably watch at least 1of the games during this week. 

I reckon in a 7 day period I watch 6 or 7 live matches.....but not fully as I might be flicking in & out if there is golf on at the weekend. 

(Just reading other posts makes me realise why my thoughts on football might differ to others as it seems a lot of posters on here (who often berate me) don't watch other matches so may not be aware of how  different managers with different views play the game)
  • Feel like somehow I have fallen back in love with football all over again these past 6 months. Probably has something to do with Charlton being stable again, all be it we aren't pissing the league but the future still looks bright. 

I probably watch 2 Prem games on a Saturday with the new KO times, us at 3pm and a 14:30 Bundesliga game going on my laptop and squeeze in a Serie A game via Premier Sports if KO's align. Plus another 3 Prem and a LaLiga or Serie A on the Sunday.

It is starting to drive the Mrs up the wall!
  • Sponsored links:

• I tend to watch games that affect us.
    So at the present league one. 
  • Only Charlton. Have very little interest in watching any other football. Might watch 10 mins here or there, but get bored watching other teams play. 
  • If I watch live then Charlton only, although I do not watch all the games.
    EFL show on Quest (recorded so I can fast forward the ads and waffle)
    MOTD 2 (ditto) 
  • Charlton games only
  • Watch Charlton every weekend, and will probably see 1-2 other games from the Premier League - largely because I don’t have much interest in ‘regular’ TV shows and there’s not much else to do.

More likely to watch more games if a particular league has an exciting title race, open nature about it. If a league is done and dusted with a clear leader then it’s hard for me to find interest. 
  • edited February 2021
  • At the moment probably weekly about 8 football games a week plus another 10 cricket matches and about a hundred horse races. Would be a lot more but don't want to be unfair on the wife by watching too much sport!
  • edited February 2021
    Zero.

Found that my love for football has gone out the window since the pandemic started. It will come back, but I just can't find myself getting excited about it the way I used to. 

Conversely I completely understand why lots of people have been watching every game!!!