Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Isle of Wight Addicks

After a year of trying and three aborted attempts we have finally exchanged contracts. To quote Mr Rossi, the Sillybillys will be “living on an island” from 16 February.  Can’t wait although it will be a wrench to go after nearly 30 years. 

Obviously, the season ticket will have to go but I’ll be plotting any excuse for trips back to the Valley. And, needless to say, I’ll be even more reliant on this forum for info and cameraderie as I won’t know a living soul.   I know that there are a few other Addicks on the island (@webby for one) but I’m just reaching out (to coin an annoying current phrase) to any others. At some point when we are able to come out of our caves it would be good to start/join a supporters group if there is one/if there is a need for one. Is there anybody out there?

Comments

• Options
    I lived there for 8 years but now back in Bromley. I kept my season ticket going , I used to drive to Ryde then ferry and train to The Valley. There is a guy that lives in Ryde that was still coming to games , that I used to meet up with. Any info you want inbox me.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I've worked with a few people over the years who commuted daily from IoW to the city for work, 

Where abouts are you moving to on the Island?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I've worked with a few people over the years who commuted daily from IoW to the city for work, 

Wroxall. Just in from Ventnor. 
  • Options
    Me and my old man are Southampton based! Always liked the IOW for the festival and the pubs....so many pubs....
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Used to get dragged there all the time for the donkey sanctuary :smile:

Always loved the IoW, not been for a while but need to get over to Cowes once lockdown ends as been asked to look after a flat for a family member there.
  • Options
    I used to go there a lot with work , and lived over there for a bit as well, all the best SB , when things do get back to a kind of normality, do visit the Spy glass Inn in Ventnor, used to be very good.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

we stayed in Wroxall last September. Nice part of the island, much quieter which I prefer.  
  • Options
    Went over for a few days in September in between lockdowns; stayed in Shanklin and lucked out with the weather. Liked it a lot.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Been here since the end of 2001, it's a bit Little England, but a good place to live. Funnily enough, I moved to Wroxall prior to divorce!
    It's a whole day trek up to The Valley and back, but great for a special visit. A lot of jobs here are not just Monday to Friday, so if like me you are have to work Saturdays, that limits match days.
    Having been a season ticket holder in the Covered End, then East Stand, I found it difficult to be without football, so started going to local Wessex League games, currently I usually go to see Cowes Sports play. I do occasionally bump into other Addicks on the island, but as far as I know there isn't any organised group at present. Best wishes with settling in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have had a sentimental attachment to the Island ever since I first went to Whitecliff Bay with the School in 1965.
    Been countless times since with family, mates, girlfriends and ultimately my wife and our own family.
    I have a particular affinity with the area in a rough triangle between Sandown, Bembridge and Brading - many country walks and photographing wildlife..
    Sadly, last time I went to Sandown it looked in serious need of a lick of paint, like many of our historic seaside towns.
    Always thought I would end up retiring to the Island, but my wife doesn't quite share my affection.
    As it stands we are across the water in Poole.
    Sorry, none of this is any help to you, but you triggered a bout of nostalgia in me.  :)
  • Options
    I lived there for 8 years but now back in Bromley. I kept my season ticket going , I used to drive to Ryde then ferry and train to The Valley. There is a guy that lives in Ryde that was still coming to games , that I used to meet up with. Any info you want inbox me.
    Hi Nick, did that guy have a beard and come up with his dad who he met or got on at Portsmouth. I used to bump into a guy like that on the train up, I get on at Basingstoke and he told me he was from the IOW.
  • Options
    After a year of trying and three aborted attempts we have finally exchanged contracts. To quote Mr Rossi, the Sillybillys will be “living on an island” from 16 February.  Can’t wait although it will be a wrench to go after nearly 30 years. 

Obviously, the season ticket will have to go but I’ll be plotting any excuse for trips back to the Valley. And, needless to say, I’ll be even more reliant on this forum for info and cameraderie as I won’t know a living soul.   I know that there are a few other Addicks on the island (@webby for one) but I’m just reaching out (to coin an annoying current phrase) to any others. At some point when we are able to come out of our caves it would be good to start/join a supporters group if there is one/if there is a need for one. Is there anybody out there?
    My Dad lives on the Island at Seaview. Not a Lifer though as technology-wise he can just about manage to send a text message!
  • Options
    Have had a sentimental attachment to the Island ever since I first went to Whitecliff Bay with the School in 1965.
    Been countless times since with family, mates, girlfriends and ultimately my wife and our own family.
    I have a particular affinity with the area in a rough triangle between Sandown, Bembridge and Brading - many country walks and photographing wildlife..
    Sadly, last time I went to Sandown it looked in serious need of a lick of paint, like many of our historic seaside towns.
    Always thought I would end up retiring to the Island, but my wife doesn't quite share my affection.
    Sorry, none of this is any help to you, but you triggered a bout of nostalgia in me.  :)
    we were always going to retire to Cornwall, which we still may do, but also now considering Norfolk and the IOW, especially round the Ventnor area.
  • Options
    we were always going to retire to Cornwall, which we still may do, but also now considering Norfolk and the IOW, especially round the Ventnor area.
    We’ve always favoured the southern tip of the island around Ventnor, Whitwell and Niton. It’s just that little bit quieter. Need to be careful buying property as some areas are very prone to land slip. We’ve come just far enough inland from Ventnor to be away from that threat. We’ve bought a 500 year old thatched cottage (grade 2 listed) so we’ve got a lot of research to do into the house’s history. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We’ve always favoured the southern tip of the island around Ventnor, Whitwell and Niton. It’s just that little bit quieter. Need to be careful buying property as some areas are very prone to land slip. We’ve come just far enough inland from Ventnor to be away from that threat. We’ve bought a 500 year old thatched cottage (grade 2 listed) so we’ve got a lot of research to do into the house’s history. 
    Good point on the land slips @Sillybilly, Blackgang Chine immediately springs to mind. Love the Island went on school journey there, had several family holidays in the Sandown Bay Area, honeymoon and took our own kids there.

Have you put any feelers out for your golf? I’ve played Sandown & Shanklin (parkland) which has hosted Hampshire County matches and comes highly recommended. Also played Freshwater which is downland up on the cliff top with views back across the Solent to the mainland, as well as the 9 holers at Ryde and Newport.

Hope the move goes well and all the best👍.
  • Options

My aunt & uncle both mid eighties live on the island & have done for over thirty years , he moved after a one job long career after starting at the woolwich arsenal when he left school & my aunt who worked at the woolwich building society since school too, both  avid charlton fans but say they have never met another on the island! 
    They have never & would never think of moving back & absolutely love the place , they are always so happy when I speak to them I’m sure you will love it.
  • Options
    when there last September we saw a cottage being re-thatched, was it by chance the one you are buying?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Good point on the land slips @Sillybilly, Blackgang Chine immediately springs to mind. Love the Island went on school journey there, had several family holidays in the Sandown Bay Area, honeymoon and took our own kids there.

Have you put any feelers out for your golf? I’ve played Sandown & Shanklin (parkland) which has hosted Hampshire County matches and comes highly recommended. Also played Freshwater which is downland up on the cliff top with views back across the Solent to the mainland, as well as the 9 holers at Ryde and Newport.

Hope the move goes well and all the best👍.
    Thanks.   I'm grounded golf wise as I've now been waiting 18 months for an operation having torn my right rotator cuff in October 19 thanks to some NHS cock ups and then COVID.  BUt when I do eventually get mended I've heard great things about Shanklin & Sandown and will be ten minutes away.  We nearly bought a house right next to Ryde Golf Course when we started all this last year but that got COVIDed too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to work in Portsmouth Naval Dockyard. In the summer of probably about 2003. On a couple of occasions after work at about 5.00pm I came out of the dockyard near Portsmouth Harbour station and saw a cyclist wearing the Away Mesh (beige color) Charlton shirt. I assumed rightly or wrongly that he lived on the Isle of Wight and that he worked in Portsmouth, and was cycling to catch the ferry back to the Isle of Wight. Would that have been anyone on here?
  • Options
    when there last September we saw a cottage being re-thatched, was it by chance the one you are buying?
    I doubt it @LargeAddick.  Ours had a relatively recent partial rethatch but I think it was three years ago or so.  This is ours:

No wasn’t that one, very very nice though.
  • Options
    I love Ventnor and the surrounding area. Would happily move there tomorrow.

• Options
    I doubt it @LargeAddick.  Ours had a relatively recent partial rethatch but I think it was three years ago or so.  This is ours:

Does it have a double garage otherwise not for me I am afraid
  • Options
    Out of interest, Why IoW @Sillybilly ?

looks really lovely mate and understand retreating somewhere further out, but off the mainland feels like hassle to me. 
  • Options
    Yeh, love Cornwall too @LargeAddick, in fact after Center Parcs it's been our most go-to destination from when the kids were born until they flew the nest.
    Not sure about living there though - too full of grockles in summer and maybe too dead off-season.
    What is it that appeals about Ventnor? My memory is of a sheer climb in and out of town.
  • Options
    Best of luck to you mate 

• Options
    Best of luck to you mate 

Thanks. Look forward to a beer if we’re ever allowed out again and I can make it back to the valley.