Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Isle of Wight Addicks

2»

Comments

• Options
    went to the isle of wight for the first time for a a mini break early november - stayed in yarmouth - lovely island, particularly the less touristy west side - like a across between cornwall and the cotswolds- the tennyson down walk to the needles viewing point is amazing  
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Hope you enjoy living on the IOW @Sillybilly. We would love to retire there too.

Both my husband and I enjoyed family holidays on the island as children and we have been there many times since. My husband's uncle managed the farm at Niton Manor and we often visited them, whilst on holiday. 

The Isle of Wight is one of my favourite places and I can't wait to visit again.

I
  • Options
    I think the Isle of Wight reminds us of the good old days! I vowed never to return after spending 11 family holidays in the same place in Yarmouth in a holiday camp as a kid, but then when I had my own children we did a few holidays there and I fell back in love with it. 

Being an island isn't that much hassle although ferry crossings aren't cheap. Wightlink used to do a special deal for residents, you could buy a set number of crossings really cheap but think they stopped that now.
  • Options
    I lived in Brighstone , SW Wight. A lovely village but big enough to have a couple of shops and a pub. Great for walks and the quite life and very low crime , down side can be if you have to go over to the mainland to often. Car ferry can range from £65 -150 depending on the time of year. It is like going back in time 40 years , people say good morning when you pass them in the street.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think the Isle of Wight reminds us of the good old days! I vowed never to return after spending 11 family holidays in the same place in Yarmouth in a holiday camp as a kid, but then when I had my own children we did a few holidays there and I fell back in love with it. 

Being an island isn't that much hassle although ferry crossings aren't cheap. Wightlink used to do a special deal for residents, you could buy a set number of crossings really cheap but think they stopped that now.
    Cheers @Rob7Lee.  The residents cheap crossing scheme is still alive and well. Wightlink do a ten journey ticket for less than £300 for residents so it’s a big saving if you use it regularly. I’ll buy one as my son is In Canterbury so we’ll be backwards and forwards. Apparently when any of the ferry companies announce their new timetables, as a gesture every resident gets a code posted through their door which gives a huge saving on a trip. There’s loads of island Facebook groups where folk pas their vouchers around to anyone who needs one. Seems like community spirit is alive and well. I hope so anyway as I’m bargaining on it!
  • Options
    I lived in Brighstone , SW Wight. A lovely village but big enough to have a couple of shops and a pub. Great for walks and the quite life and very low crime , down side can be if you have to go over to the mainland to often. Car ferry can range from £65 -150 depending on the time of year. It is like going back in time 40 years , people say good morning when you pass them in the street.
    Cheers @charltonnick.  Brighstone is lovely. We looked at a property there. Holidayed at Chale nearby a few years  ago in a cottage that will probably end up in the sea in a decade or so.  The time warp factor is one of the big attractions, even for a miserable bugger like me. 
  • Options
    Hope your enjoy living on the IOW @Sillybilly. We would love to retire there too.

Both my husband and I enjoyed family holidays on the island as children and we have been there many times since. My husband's uncle managed the farm at Niton Manor and we often visited them, whilst on holiday. 

The Isle of Wight is one of my favourite places and I can't wait to visit again.

I
    Cheers @ME14addick.   Stayed in Niton many times with the kids on holiday. Lovely spot. Looked at a house there but just wasn’t quite the one for us. Love that bottom tip of the island. 
  • Options
    The thing I remember about living on the Isle of Wight was that the pace of life was 2 gears down from living on the mainland, competing on the M25.

People seemed generally less stressed , friendlier and welcoming, (well that was my experience).

Lots of good walks / bike rides if that’s your thing.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Cheers @Rob7Lee.  The residents cheap crossing scheme is still alive and well. Wightlink do a ten journey ticket for less than £300 for residents so it’s a big saving if you use it regularly. I’ll buy one as my son is In Canterbury so we’ll be backwards and forwards. Apparently when any of the ferry companies announce their new timetables, as a gesture every resident gets a code posted through their door which gives a huge saving on a trip. There’s loads of island Facebook groups where folk pas their vouchers around to anyone who needs one. Seems like community spirit is alive and well. I hope so anyway as I’m bargaining on it!
    Thats good, my aunt used to get the discount, but technically wasn't a resident (but has a flat in Cowes) so maybe they stopped it unless you were an actual resident rather than just had an address. In the summer the ferry is the most expensive in the world per mile apparently!

I need to get over there once lockdown allows and as I've so much holiday left to use I think I'll take a weeks break there.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Thats good, my aunt used to get the discount, but technically wasn't a resident (but has a flat in Cowes) so maybe they stopped it unless you were an actual resident rather than just had an address. In the summer the ferry is the most expensive in the world per mile apparently!

I need to get over there once lockdown allows and as I've so much holiday left to use I think I'll take a weeks break there.
    Pop in for a cuppa. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    We got the keys last week to our lovely new house in St Lawrence, which is just along the coast from Ventnor. It is up on the Undercliff and has amazing views out over the sea. Fingers crossed we don’t end up sliding down the hill! The place is absolutely beautiful and how can anyone not love those red squirrels. We have already seen loads in the garden. Everyone we have met has been so very friendly & prepared to help in any way. Looking forward to spending many years here.
    Sounds great @Red_Pete_in_Dubai.  We’ll only be a couple of miles up the road from you so look forward to grabbing a pint when we are able. We just missed out on a property on the undercliff when we started looking last year. Lovely spot. 
  • Options
    We got the keys last week to our lovely new house in St Lawrence, which is just along the coast from Ventnor. It is up on the Undercliff and has amazing views out over the sea. Fingers crossed we don’t end up sliding down the hill! The place is absolutely beautiful and how can anyone not love those red squirrels. We have already seen loads in the garden. Everyone we have met has been so very friendly & prepared to help in any way. Looking forward to spending many years here.
    I actually stayed there the last time we holidayed about 7-8 years ago. Big old house over looking the sea and had a vineyard, was called the old cottage;

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/the-old-cottage/undercliff-drive/st-lawrence/ventnor/po38-1uw/18973847
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Rob7Lee said:

Snap! When I was a kid I spent loads of holidays at the Chiltern Chine Holiday Centre - now the Pearl Centre on the Military Road coast road. Wonderful memories! And used to love walking past the old pill box on the way in to Brighstone.

@Sillybilly Your new place looks lovely. I'm seriously jealous!

Mind you, when you hear the news like last nights - one killed and 10 injured in stabbings around south London (admittedly mostly in the Croydon area) - I can't think of many good reasons why more people aren't doing what you have done. 
  • Options
    We went to the IOW on a BR breakaway in the 70s (It was amazing value).  

I remember we had to really run to catch the ferry.  Amazingly there was a bloke who arrived even later than us (they must've pulled up the gang plank as his foot arrived on the boat.  He slumped down opposite us in a heap.  My mate looked at me and said very loudly, "Thank God for that Raith, for a moment I thought we'd got on the Isle of Wight Ferry". 

This guys face was a picture.  He looked right, he looked left, obviously too embarrassed to ask where he was actually going. 

I subsequently thought we could've told him and put him out of his agony ... Ah well too late now  :|     

I took this photo of the Crab Inn it has somehow become reversed, but very quaint.

• Options
    Yes I live in Bonchurch and love it here. Get to as many games as possible and leave the house at 9am, back by 9pm, usually go by train with some other Charlton supporters including my son. Actually enjoy the travel with a good catchup and a few beers. Only costs about £60 total by train. It is a very Pompey oriented supporting Island so fortunately lock down prevented me getting too much stick after recent defeat lol
  • Options

I remember we had to really run to catch the ferry.  Amazingly there was a bloke who arrived even later than us (they must've pulled up the gang plank as his foot arrived on the boat.  He slumped down opposite us in a heap.  My mate looked at me and said very loudly, "Thank God for that Raith, for a moment I thought we'd got on the Isle of Wight Ferry". 

This guys face was a picture.  He looked right, he looked left, obviously too embarrassed to ask where he was actually going. 

I subsequently thought we could've told him and put him out of his agony ... Ah well too late now  :|     

I took this photo of the Crab Inn it has somehow become reversed, but very quaint.

Probably the most photographed item on the island along with the church at Godshill.
  • Options
    Webby said:
    Yes I live in Bonchurch and love it here. Get to as many games as possible and leave the house at 9am, back by 9pm, usually go by train with some other Charlton supporters including my son. Actually enjoy the travel with a good catchup and a few beers. Only costs about £60 total by train. It is a very Pompey oriented supporting Island so fortunately lock down prevented me getting too much stick after recent defeat lol
    Happy to tag along in due course if you’ll have me @Webby.  I’ll bring the beers. 
  • Options

Probably the most photographed item on the island along with the church at Godshill.
    The. church at Godshill has a model in the model village. The model has a model in its little garden. The model of the model has a model of the model of the model in its even littler garden. The model.............you can see where this goes. It’s very clever. 
  • Options
    Webby said:
    Happy to tag along in due course if you’ll have me @Webby.  I’ll bring the beers. 
    Add @Red_Pete_in_Dubai and it won’t be long until you IoW chaps will be booking your own carriage!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have had a sentimental attachment to the Island ever since I first went to Whitecliff Bay with the School in 1965.
    Been countless times since with family, mates, girlfriends and ultimately my wife and our own family.
    I have a particular affinity with the area in a rough triangle between Sandown, Bembridge and Brading - many country walks and photographing wildlife..
    Sadly, last time I went to Sandown it looked in serious need of a lick of paint, like many of our historic seaside towns.
    Always thought I would end up retiring to the Island, but my wife doesn't quite share my affection.
    As it stands we are across the water in Poole.
    Sorry, none of this is any help to you, but you triggered a bout of nostalgia in me.  :)
    we were always going to retire to Cornwall, which we still may do, but also now considering Norfolk and the IOW, especially round the Ventnor area.
    We’ve always favoured the southern tip of the island around Ventnor, Whitwell and Niton. It’s just that little bit quieter. Need to be careful buying property as some areas are very prone to land slip. We’ve come just far enough inland from Ventnor to be away from that threat. We’ve bought a 500 year old thatched cottage (grade 2 listed) so we’ve got a lot of research to do into the house’s history. 
    when there last September we saw a cottage being re-thatched, was it by chance the one you are buying?
    I doubt it @LargeAddick.  Ours had a relatively recent partial rethatch but I think it was three years ago or so.  This is ours:

@sillybilly Ms AA and I think your new house is amazing.  We hope you get to enjoy it.
  • Options
    We're off to Colwell Bay for 3 nights in 2 weeks - will still watch the Peterborough game on VP of course. Really looking forward to it - booked the first weekend of the Easter holidays, which has worked out well with the changes from Monday
  • Options
    I own Webb Jenkins Estate Agents in Ventnor, stick your head in the door and say hi if you are passing 😉
  • Options
    Webby said:
    I love Bonchurch, having spent many happy family holidays in the ‘70’s/80’s at Westfield. The pond is a beautiful spot and I think the family still has some Bonchurch Pottery stashed away somewhere. Fond memories of Julisa’s, the night club in town too!  
    Really looking forward to revisiting a few places during our stay at Wheelers Bay in about 3 weeks time. 
  • Options
    Webby said:
    I own Webb Jenkins Estate Agents in Ventnor, stick your head in the door and say hi if you are passing 😉
    Will remember this when we make our move in a couple of years - looking to sell up our properties and buy UK further south and west plus somewhere overseas. The IoW is a definite possibility and love the climate etc of the Underbuild
  • Options
    Webby said:
    I love Bonchurch, having spent many happy family holidays in the ‘70’s/80’s at Westfield. The pond is a beautiful spot and I think the family still has some Bonchurch Pottery stashed away somewhere. Fond memories of Julisa’s, the night club in town too!  
    Really looking forward to revisiting a few places during our stay at Wheelers Bay in about 3 weeks time. 
    When I grew up in the early 80's we knew the owners of Westfield holday centre so we used to used the clubhouse and facilities all the time, good memories. Yes loved Julisas too, fondly remembered by locals. Wheelers bay is lovely, often walk from Bonchurch to Ventnor with the dogs and stop at The Seapot which is newish at Wheelers Bay, lovely place to stop.
  • Options
    Webby said:
    Webby said:
    When I grew up in the early 80's we knew the owners of Westfield holday centre so we used to used the clubhouse and facilities all the time, good memories. Yes loved Julisas too, fondly remembered by locals. Wheelers bay is lovely, often walk from Bonchurch to Ventnor with the dogs and stop at The Seapot which is newish at Wheelers Bay, lovely place to stop.
    The Seapot is in a great place, used to be the local conveniences but now repurposed following widespread abandonment of such by the IW Council some years back.
  • Options
    Webby said:
    Webby said:
    Thanks for the tip about The Seapot. Always good to get a recommendation. We will have our dog with us so keen to do local and other walks on the island. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed for decent weather! 
  • Options
    Webby said:
    Webby said:
    The Seapot is in a great place, used to be the local conveniences but now repurposed following widespread abandonment of such by the IW Council some years back.
    The Peepot?  ;)