Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How good is our squad comparatively in League one?

Seen a lot of comments about us having one of the best squads in the league and that we should expect promotion etc with our set of players but are they really that much better than the other 23 squads we're competing against?

It is a genuine question as I will hold my hands up and say my knowledge of players is limited to Charlton's players and a few big names in the premier league but generally I have not got a clue who is who outside that and how good they are.

Whenever we sign someone or are in for someone 9 out of 10 times I'll have no clue who they are so I am genuinely interested as to where we sit in terms of our squad compared to others in our league.

I'm aware of good players like Marquis, Ched Evans at other clubs and there always seems to be some stand out oppos in many teams we've faced so how valid is the assertion that the set of players we have is one of the best in the division?

Is it valid or just confirmation bias/ assumption because of familiarity with our lot and less familiarity with others?

Comments

• Options
    Something isn't right, these players SHOULD be good enough to be cruising towards autos/3rd but instead we're limping towards mid table.

Believe we have the right individuals, just need to fix the mood in camp.
  • Options
    Just a bunch of names on a team sheet, when you watch the EFL show on Quest there are plenty of league one players putting our lot to shame.

Look at the players we had when we were promoted, Phillips, Beilik, Aribo, Cullen, Taylor etc and we scraped up via the play offs, we did not cruise to the title.

The squad we have now are nowhere near as good so no surprises we are where we are.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Something isn't right, these players SHOULD be good enough to be cruising towards autos/3rd but instead we're limping towards mid table.

Believe we have the right individuals, just need to fix the mood in camp.
    Bows team selection is bizarre, if he wasn't our manager you'd think he was on a wind up. 
    His inability to select a consistent xi has been part of our downfall.

L1 is absolute garbage compared to what it was 18 months ago.

I'm tired of watching Bows defensive xi's
    I'm bored of listening to Bows bs excuses
    I'm fed up 
  • Options
    There's 2 separate issues, the quality of the individual players in the squad, and the balance of the squad.

No point having 5 genius No 10s, but terrible goalkeepers. Or having a squad with too many 30 somethings who struggle with the intensity, or a squad of teenagers who lack experience. Or having an Andy Carroll style number 9 in a side playing tiki-taka, or a David Silva style midfielder in a hoofball side.

And then of course you need a squad that fits the tactics that the manager likes, who all know their positions etc

Lincoln have on paper worse players than us BUT almost certainly a better balanced squad, and one who know how their manager wants them to play...
  • Options
    I have always said Lee Bowyer was exceptionally lucky in the standard of players he was able to bring in post Thomas arriving.

Other managers are not so fortunate hence why he has to get us up this year IMO.

Look at the other teams and their signings. Doncaster bought in Bogle FFS...

Lets look at Bowyers signings from Thomas coming in:

1) Watson - Forest fans were gutted to lose him and with his pedigree should be more than enough for league one.

2) Gunter - most capped welsh player ever

3) Famewo - top defender at this level 

4) Inniss - ditto

5) Shinnie - played key role just 2 years back in Luton’s promotion 

6) Gilbey - MK DONS player of the year 

7) Maddison - one of the most consistent league one players in recent years towards the top of the division 

8) Matthews - rated by us in the championship last year. 

9) Maatsen / Miller - solid youngsters from top premier league set ups 

10) Washington - significant experience at a higher level and should easily be able to get 15 goals with these players around him.

Add the likes of Amos, Williams, JFC, Purrington (our left back last time we went up)

Looking at that, how can anyone think the performance this year is reasonable?? 
    Then you can add:

Stockley - experience in the league above
    Smith - one of Swindon's best players this season
    DJ - probably Swindon's best player this season (going by their fans opinion not mine)
    Schwartz - top scorer in the Danish top flight last season

It's undeniable we have a good squad for this level and are drastically underperforming.
  • Options
    I have always said Lee Bowyer was exceptionally lucky in the standard of players he was able to bring in post Thomas arriving.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Let's take Portsmouth.

I think Whatmough, Naylor, Marquis, Myers-Harness and Curtis would all walk into our team. 

That's an impressive spine of players who will play 30+ games this season. Do we have a spine that compares to that? And could they play 30+ games (even if LB didn't rotate)? And Portsmouth are not even in the top 2. 

We look back at our play-off winning squad and think - wow. What a team. But back then, LB was seen as overperforming. I remember even Lyle Taylor himself asking Lee "How the f*** have you got us promoted?"

Perhaps it was because we were under Roland and our general expectations of recruitment and the team's fortunes were so rock bottom, that any accomplishment seemed grand. But now things are very different and so is what we expect. 

Are we looking at this group of players through a different lens and seeing too much? It must be possible, because despite having some talented individual players, we must say there is no core spine to this team. 
  • Options
    This squad is more than good enough for a top 2 finish. It’s the way it is being managed that is the problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As in referring to the general environment / playground clubs around can operate in being apparent in the transfer window just gone.

Lee had the ability with his owner to Chuck out a failed experiment to a better team than us who are willing to take him.

But poor old hard done by LB has to make do with Jayden Stockley from the Championship, Ronnie Schwartz who has one of the best pedigrees in the Danish top flight, and two of Swindon’s best players at the click of a finger.

The point isn’t hard to understand. I will say it again - if Lee Bowyer was called Bob Smith with no previous emotional connection to Charlton then he wouldn’t be getting as easy ride as he is 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    What we need is some kind of points based system, where all the squads get ranked against each other and we can then lay it out in table form in order to establish how good each squad is. 
    If it doesn't come as an infographic I ain't looking.
  • Options
    The squad is definitely good enough.

The problem is the manager doesn’t know his best team, formation or game plan. Injuries only play a small part in the consistent rotating. How many times this season have we had to change things at HT already behind or struggling in the game. 

The stat with Accrington’s use of players compared to ours speaks volumes. 

I think with now we have two natural wingers he has to go 4-4-2. Pick two complimenting CM’s and stick with them. Try and form a consistent attacking partnership and play the returning Famewo with Deji. We’ve got some nice fixtures in February. There are NO excuses.

That's pretty much on the money.

Individually we have a decent squad - collectively they are playing like strangers (because, due to the rotation and the constant chopping and changing with the tactics, that's what they are).
  • Options
    Just a bunch of names on a team sheet, when you watch the EFL show on Quest there are plenty of league one players putting our lot to shame.

Look at the players we had when we were promoted, Phillips, Beilik, Aribo, Cullen, Taylor etc and we scraped up via the play offs, we did not cruise to the title.

The squad we have now are nowhere near as good so no surprises we are where we are.
    Granted the play offs are a lottery but Scraped up via the play offs? You do realise we finished third and were on a great run. If players like bielik and cullen were with us from the start and not the end of the windows, we may have gone up automatically.

wycombe being 8th and getting into the play offs on ppg scraped up via the play offs.
  • Options
    If you made me point to one example of how good our squad is for this level I’d say Omar Bogle.

Our 5th choice striker who signed for a promotion rival who are better than us.

We've massively underachieved. 
  • Options

Hindsight is a wonder full thing but take that list of players back to August 2018.  There was no guarantee that those 5 would perform to the level they did by the end of the season.  Then compare it to say Amos, Gunter, Watson, Shinnie and Washington in August 2020.

I would say that later would more likely to achieve something.

Phillips had hardly ever played and was replaced at the start of the season by Steer, Beilik was no guarantee because he didn't play when on loan at Walsall the previous season, Cullen had just had an, average at best, loan at Bolton, Aribo was an exciting but inconsistent prospect and Taylor was a lower league journeyman.

Truth be told we were probably more excited about Page, Igor, Reeves, JFC and Fosu before the season started. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Our midfield are mid-table at best - JFC, Morgan, Watson and Pratley aren't top 6 quality. 

Shinnie is the only top 6 midfielder we have in my view.
  • Options

Granted the play offs are a lottery but Scraped up via the play offs? You do realise we finished third and were on a great run. If players like bielik and cullen were with us from the start and not the end of the windows, we may have gone up automatically.

wycombe being 8th and getting into the play offs on ppg scraped up via the play offs.
    What I meant by saying we "scraped up via the play offs" was the fact for a large chunk of the game we were played off the park in the semi final 2nd leg at The Valley.  And the final was not all one way and as we know we scored a last minute winner.

That team was head and shoulders above what we have now and of course I forgot Bauer in the first post, yet people still seem convinced given the right manager and/or selection process we are currently a comfortable top two team for the automatics.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

18/19

Phillips

Dijksteel, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington 

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

Amos, Solly, Pearce, Pratley, Morgan, Lapslie, Reeves, Vetokele

20/21

Amos

Gunter, Inniss, Famewo, Maatsen

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

AMB, Matthews, Oshilaja, Morgan, Smith, Jaiyesimi, Aneke

Obviously our best XI and subs bench is well and truly up for debate as even bowyer doesn’t know it.  But I think based on this two things are obvious:

Our 18/19 XI is better.

Our 20/21 bench is better.

• Options

18/19

Phillips

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

20/21

Amos

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

Obviously our best XI and subs bench is well and truly up for debate as even bowyer doesn’t know it.  But I think based on this two things are obvious:

Our 18/19 XI is better.

Like for like in the XI I think 18/19 wins 5 to 3 with the remaining 3 a tie (Dijksteel v Gunter, Famewo v Sarr, Aribo v Shinnie)

And 20/21 bench wins 5-2.
  • Options

Other managers are not so fortunate hence why he has to get us up this year IMO.

Lets look at Bowyers signings from Thomas coming in:

1) Watson - Forest fans were gutted to lose him and with his pedigree should be more than enough for league one.

2) Gunter - most capped welsh player ever

3) Famewo - top defender at this level 

4) Inniss - ditto

5) Shinnie - played key role just 2 years back in Luton’s promotion 

6) Gilbey - MK DONS player of the year 

7) Maddison - one of the most consistent league one players in recent years towards the top of the division 

8) Matthews - rated by us in the championship last year. 

9) Maatsen / Miller - solid youngsters from top premier league set ups 

10) Washington - significant experience at a higher level and should easily be able to get 15 goals with these players around him.

Add the likes of Amos, Williams, JFC, Purrington (our left back last time we went up)

Looking at that, how can anyone think the performance this year is reasonable?? 
    For the sake of discussion, let’s accept everything you have said. How does this compare to Hull and Lincoln?
  • Options
    Never bought into the top two nonsense but always thought we had a decent shout of playoffs. Failing to get a playoff place is without doubt a failure and will be viewed as such by TS. It boils down to what TS sees or doesn’t see by way of performances between now and seasons end. Basically it’s in Bowyers hands. A string of sparkling performances between now and then and I think he gets a chance to start next season. More of what we’ve recently seen and TS has a big decision to make.
  • Options
    I honestly dont buy into the fact that our squad isnt good enough to get promoted. It should easily get into the playoffs and imo that would be an under achievement. For whatever reason they are not performing as they should and everyone has different views on why that is. My own opinion is that we are being set up to be too negative. when we play out from the back we play across the field 2 or 3 times which allows the opposition to get all players behind the ball and can then cope with our attempts to play in behind them. We start games with a team that seems to be set up to contain the opposition until we make our second half substitutions, unfortunately by then it has been too late and we are chasing the game.

I'm in the camp that LB needs a reset mentally. In an ideal world he should go off for a few weeks and sit by a lake to clear his head and come back refreshed with a new mindset as I honestly do not think he is looking at things clearly at the moment and who would blame him for that with what he has had to deal with the last year. Unfortunately this cant happen in football and fear he will carry on with his current view which I dont think is going to work which will leave TS with no choice 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    the squad is strong, probably the strongest in the division, at least in depth and potential .. EXCEPT in central defence .. and there is no guarantee when Famewo and Inniss return, and when/if they do, will they be anywhere near match fit and sharp enough.
     A BIG mistake has been in not signing another central defender and that has and will continue to cost us dear despite all the new attacking and midfield talent signed during the last window and the shedding of some deadwood as well as promising young talent. Davison is now a starter at Forest Green, currently second in L2 and Lapslie is playing out of his skin for Mansfield, the form team in L2.
    Davison we will get back, but not alas Lapslie. Both should still be in OUR squad
  • Options
    Never bought into the top two nonsense but always thought we had a decent shout of playoffs. Failing to get a playoff place is without doubt a failure and will be viewed as such by TS. It boils down to what TS sees or doesn’t see by way of performances between now and seasons end. Basically it’s in Bowyers hands. A string of sparkling performances between now and then and I think he gets a chance to start next season. More of what we’ve recently seen and TS has a big decision to make.
    Absolutely 

In addition to this, if Bowyer does string together some form between now and seasons end, but misses out on play offs it will be interesting how TS manages that as we've seen with the previous owner, the extreme way to deal with failure. 
  • Options

18/19

Phillips

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

20/21

Amos

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

Our 18/19 XI is better.

Like for like in the XI I think 18/19 wins 5 to 3 with the remaining 3 a tie (Dijksteel v Gunter, Famewo v Sarr, Aribo v Shinnie)

And 20/21 bench wins 5-2.
    Dijksteel is better than Gunter. Aribo is better than Shinnie.