Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How good is our squad comparatively in League one?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Our midfield are mid-table at best - JFC, Morgan, Watson and Pratley aren't top 6 quality. 

Shinnie is the only top 6 midfielder we have in my view.
    If we're going to play 442 and you consider Shinnie is definitely top 6 quality, then alongside Millar (surely also top 6 quality) and DJ (signed from a lower half side but had championship sides looking at him) then that's 3 of the 4 who are good enough. 
    Smith might also be of that level too.
    I'd say JFC is in or about top 6 level too.
  • Options
    Strong squad as in numbers but so far not a good team from it. 
    Where we lose out to most other teams is our weak midfield. Morgan, Shinnie, JFC, Pratley, Watson and  Gilbey all poor in my view. 
  • Options
    Hats off to @DamoNorthStand for his Lincoln squad assessment. This is a very interesting thread because we probably all sway from thinking this squad should be doing better, to then telling ourselves not to underestimate the opposition. 

All I can say is that I think some of our players have taken a step down and may have been expecting an easier ride.

How many of our players have actually ever been in a promotion winning team? Shinnie springs instantly to mind. We have to remember that Lincoln are on a roll. Doncaster, Sunderland and Portsmouth are building on past failed attempts.  We need our players to match their determination. It's not whether they are good enough, it's a question of an obsessive desire to succeed. 
  • Options

18/19

Phillips

Dijksteel, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington 

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

Amos, Solly, Pearce, Pratley, Morgan, Lapslie, Reeves, Vetokele

20/21

Amos

Gunter, Inniss, Famewo, Maatsen

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

AMB, Matthews, Oshilaja, Morgan, Smith, Jaiyesimi, Aneke

Obviously our best XI and subs bench is well and truly up for debate as even bowyer doesn’t know it.  But I think based on this two things are obvious:

Our 18/19 XI is better.

Our 20/21 bench is better.

Like for like in the XI I think 18/19 wins 5 to 3 with the remaining 3 a tie (Dijksteel v Gunter, Famewo v Sarr, Aribo v Shinnie)

And 20/21 bench wins 5-2.
    Dijksteel is better than Gunter. Aribo is better than Shinnie.
    Aye, aye aye aye. 
  • Options
    Hats off to @DamoNorthStand for his Lincoln squad assessment. This is a very interesting thread because we probably all sway from thinking this squad should be doing better, to then telling ourselves not to underestimate the opposition. 

All I can say is that I think some of our players have taken a step down and may have been expecting an easier ride.

How many of our players have actually ever been in a promotion winning team? Shinnie springs instantly to mind. We have to remember that Lincoln are on a roll. Doncaster, Sunderland and Portsmouth are building on past failed attempts.  We need our players to match their determination. It's not whether they are good enough, it's a question of an obsessive desire to succeed. 
    And its part of a managers to remit to nurture that mentality in the squad, and create the right approach.
  • Options

18/19

Phillips

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

20/21

Amos

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

Obviously our best XI and subs bench is well and truly up for debate as even bowyer doesn’t know it.  But I think based on this two things are obvious:

Our 18/19 XI is better.

Like for like in the XI I think 18/19 wins 5 to 3 with the remaining 3 a tie (Dijksteel v Gunter, Famewo v Sarr, Aribo v Shinnie)

I think it’s hard to make the call until all their careers have finished.  And I certainly wouldn’t think you’re mad for picking one over the other.  But it’s fair to say Gunter and Shinnie have both achieved more than Dijksteel and Aribo at present.  Five years from now of course Aribo could be in the premier league with 3 Scottish titles under his belt so I think it’s tough call currently.
  • Options
    Our midfield are mid-table at best - JFC, Morgan, Watson and Pratley aren't top 6 quality. 

Shinnie is the only top 6 midfielder we have in my view.
    If we're going to play 442 and you consider Shinnie is definitely top 6 quality, then alongside Millar (surely also top 6 quality) and DJ (signed from a lower half side but had championship sides looking at him) then that's 3 of the 4 who are good enough. 
    Smith might also be of that level too.
    I'd say JFC is in or about top 6 level too.
    I was thinking CMs and DMs. JFC doesn't have enough to his game imo, he's no good at tackling and his passing is hit & miss. 
  • Options
    Always remember .. it ain't what you got, it's the way that you use it
  • Options

18/19

Phillips

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

20/21

Amos

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

Our 18/19 XI is better.

I think it’s hard to make the call until all their careers have finished.  And I certainly wouldn’t think you’re mad for picking one over the other.  But it’s fair to say Gunter and Shinnie have both achieved more than Dijksteel and Aribo at present.  Five years from now of course Aribo could be in the premier league with 3 Scottish titles under his belt so I think it’s tough call currently.
    But the comparison is Aribo in February 2019 and Shinnie in February 2021.  What else they do before or after is irrelevant. 

Shinnie was almost certainly a better player than Aribo in 2015 and Aribo will almost certainly be better in 2025.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

18/19

Phillips

Bielik

Cullen, Aribo

Williams 

Taylor, Parker

20/21

Amos

Pratley

JFC, Shinnie

Millar

Stockley, Washington

Our 18/19 XI is better.

But the comparison is Aribo in February 2019 and Shinnie in February 2021.  What else they do before or after is irrelevant. 

Shinnie was almost certainly a better player than Aribo in 2015 and Aribo will almost certainly be better in 2025.
    That’s the point I’m making.  Short answer is it’s too hard to say.  Both were/are stand out players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a pity. I was looking forward to a sensible and informed discussion and learning more about the sides in the league. Instead it has turned into yet another let’s slag of our manager thread. Oh well.