Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic boss Lee Bowyer makes League One sale claim

Comments

• Options
    Weird statement. 

But he is right, we're doing far better than Wigan after our mini-rebuild which starts again in June. 
  • Options
    I read that as look what I’ve had to deal with Thomas, please don’t sack me.

im in the bowyer out camp but that has made me reconsider a little bit
  • Options
    He’s right and I really want Bowyer as manager.
    But he doesn’t half bang on about this. 
    Perhaps it’s just the same questions being asked and not a lot more to talk about at the moment. 

• Options
    "We’ve brought in £13-14million since I’ve been in charge"

How have we sold that much?

Bonne 2m, Dijksteel 2m, Grant 2.5m plus his sell on fee (3m?), then say just over a million for Doughty and Phillips combined.

Who else is there?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Whilst I tend to agree with LB, this does sound to me like his excuse or reason why Sangaard shouldn't consider terminating his employment as manager of CAFC. 
    He is obviously under pressure, and perhaps the cracks are now beginning to show.
  • Options

Bonne 2m, Dijksteel 2m, Grant 2.5m plus his sell on fee (3m?), then say just over a million for Doughty and Phillips combined.

Who else is there?
    Williams was a 6 figure sum suggested to be £200,000. 
  • Options
    Whilst it is true to a point, I think Bowyer is best focussing on getting us firmly in the play off places rather than offer excuses why we might not achieve this.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think this article buys him a bit more time to turn things around onthe pitch. Months not weeks perhaps 
  • Options

Who else is there?
    £3m for Konsa. Got sell on for Fosu when he went to Brentford via Oxford. 

200k for Magennis I think. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The article won't make any difference to Sandgaard. I'm sure they will have already had this conversation and it may be why he has been given as long as he has.
  • Options
    More excuses and unnecessary  chatter from Bowyer .. you now have some decent players, so less of the media hype and more attention to tactics and player performance please Mr Bowyer
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I read that as look what I’ve had to deal with Thomas, please don’t sack me.

im in the bowyer out camp but that has made me reconsider a little bit
    This 100%.

Smacks of "I'm doing the best I can as I'm currently having to rebuild every season". Doesn't say, however, that he has now been given the tools but is still not doing as well as has been expected.

And things wont change until we - 

1) stop bringing in 5 or 6 loans per season. Hardly any of them stay (obviously) so that's another half a dozen players you half to find for the next season

2) use our Academy players more, so we don't have to keep loaning in players. No point having an Academy if you don't play them. Also (as LB has just pointed out) they are great at generating revenue. 

3) keep giving short term contracts. I know a lot is down to what the player wants but signing up players for 2 years just means more rebuilding 2 years later as, once again, those types of players generally leave after their 2 years. (Yes, I'm looking at you Lyle Taylor).

Looks things are starting to change with the 3.5 years given to DJ though.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think it is a sign he is feeling a bit under pressure and is putting an excuse out there. Sandgaard will already be aware and as you say, so will most of us. Sandgaard has said he wants us promoted within two seasons so Bowyer has to try to do it this season or face the difficult task of convincing Sandgaard he is the man to do it in the second season.

If we don't get promoted, I think Sandgaard will expect play offs and signs we are moving forwards. That is irrespective of player sales we have made.  
  • Options
    He's wobbling under some pressure.  All part of the learning curve if he wants to make a career of management.

Me personally?  I'd be sitting by a lake carp fishing.
  • Options
    He's wobbling under some pressure.  All part of the learning curve if he wants to make a career of management.

BUT you wouldn't be earning loadsa money for fishing
  • Options
    Lee and his team have performed awfully in the past few months.

But they are in an extraordinary situation and I don't see the point of making changes.

You might find a manager who is brilliant at getting the best out of a makeshift team during a pandemic. But is that what we need in the longer term?
  • Options
    He’s got a point but that does look like a don’t sack me statement. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have a point. I suppose we need to know what the question was. Does anybody know?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Does seem like a PR defence from bowyer but has others have said it is properly just a answer to a question. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    You have a point. I suppose we need to know what the question was. Does anybody know?
    "Given the takeover shenanigans over the last couple of years at Charlton, how do you think performances have been compared to another club with basket-case ownership problems, Wigan?"
  • Options
    To some of us, this was a completely unnecessary statement as we understand the position we’re in.
    This isn’t for any one other than all those who keep expecting us to be Real Madrid overnight now we have a decent owner.
    Let him get on with his job, Thomas is.
    Not a single fan thought we would be Real Madrid over night.  

Some thought we may be relative shoe ins for the play offs of a poor quality League One this season and many thought we would get more than 14 points from our last 12 games or whatever it is.

I may well be wrong but I have always assumed at this level every team finds it hard to build because a) contracts are usually shorter, b) best players get whisked away. In fact, the Cap will just accentuate this.  I would be interested to know just how much churn there was at the teams currently sat above us in the summer.  I doubt it was insubstantial, maybe Hull aside.

The churn and squad uncertainty would have been very difficult to deal with but don't explain playing Smyth at RB or having Pratley ahead of Oshi at CB for weeks or the very many other baffling decisions made this season.

• Options
    who's idea was it to have the cap in the first place? 

seems to cause no end of trouble and accentuates the gap between championship and league 1. which is bad enough as it is with teams like Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Derby and others spending well over what they should. 
  • Options
    It does seem to weaken League One in relation to the Championship. I think the biggest puzzle to me is that it stops clubs rewarding players that are doing well with better contracts. 
  • Options

BUT you wouldn't be earning loadsa money for fishing
     Bow's Lakes aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    "What's your perfect Sunday?"
  • Options
    In the case of Hull they flogged the family silver before they got relegated, indeed that's why they went down...

Peterborough are regular sellers of players, but by usually buying low and selling high. The Toney fee is £5m rising up to £10
  • Options
    In the case of Hull they flogged the family silver before they got relegated, indeed that's why they went down...

Peterborough are regular sellers of players, but by usually buying low and selling high. The Toney fee is £5m rising up to £10
    if they kept Bowen i have a feeling they might of stayed up. 18 million and plus would be hard to snub though.