Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last Saturday's LGBTQ+ comedy night

13»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Slightly off topic, and I apologise for this, but may I ask a serious question ?

It's something that has intrigued me for years, and I don't know why.

As a heterosexual male, with no discriminatory thoughts towards any creed, race, religion or beliefs, why do I wonder who will be the first "gay" footballer (Justin Fashanu accepted) to "come out" ?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, it reminds me of when Max Rushden had a brilliant interview when he was asking what words are acceptable to black people; sometimes, by trying not to say the wrong thing you say another wrong thing totally innocently. 

Sorry, not good with words.

Stay safe.

The question you raise is a question of interest. I’m also a hetero male and yes, when a player comes out it will be of interest and may be an important watershed day, but although I hope to see someone come out soon, it can’t be rushed because it has to be right for them.
    Thomas Hitzlsperger, you may remember, came out just after retiring. One of the really great things about LGBTQ people (not all, but certainly the vast majority) is that when somebody in the public eye “comes out”, there is generally very little criticism aimed at them for not coming out sooner or even at all. This is actually really important, because everyone weighing up whether or not to come out has their own personal circumstances, pressures, worries, insecurities, families etc etc - and LGBTQ people generally understand and appreciate that.

We see proactive efforts in football to eradicate homophobia and that’s to be applauded and you have to assume it’s only a matter of time, but professional, male, team sports are extraordinarily old school macho environments - I’m sure lots of players are sympathetic and want to make things better, but I do wonder how many of these lads are fully behind it, regardless of the sound bites we hear from players in interviews. 

I honestly expected more players to come out after Thomas Hitzlsperger did - If he’d come out while still playing there may have been more gay players follow suit - but Hitzlsperger can’t be blamed for that. I completely understand why he chose to wait - he may have felt he’d crumple under the pressure whether that be from the training ground, opposition, media or supporters.

What I really look forward to is a player in the Roy Keane, Dave Mackay type mold to come out - by that I mean a double hard bastard, couldn’t give a fuck what you think, revels in the hatred of opposition supporters type player. Someone who’d go into training the next day and dare his teammates to start on him. If someone like that comes out then we’ll have reached the watershed.
    Question for either or both of you, or for anyone else: why do you care?  Indeed, why should anyone care whom anyone else sleeps with?  

I note that you have both come out as heterosexual males, and I am glad you seem not to have faced any prejudice in that regard.  But, why is it of interest to you whether a footballer also comes out?  

(Obviously, I am asking this very much tongue in cheek; but it's a serious point. I hope that in the not-too-distant future, that there is absolutely no interest whatsoever in a footballer's sexuality). 
    This is the point I'm trying to make/ask.
    Why are people, myself included, wondering who is the first footballer to come out ?
    Am I wrong to ask this ?

The Castle in Lewisham was a venue I used to go to, I've had made gay friends. I still have. (Honest, I do have friends).

I agree totally that, hopefully, in the very near future, there is no interest in a footballers sexuality. 

Whatever 😀😎
  • Options
    Have I just witnessed the first coming out as someone having actual friends?

• Options
    Have I just witnessed the first coming out as someone having actual friends?

There has to be somebody on here who has real friends...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Some great insights into what its like to be an LGBTQ+ supporter, including from Bhavisha Patel, one of our own: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55985735
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Some great insights into what its like to be an LGBTQ+ supporter, including from Bhavisha Patel, one of our own: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55985735
    Thank God the world is changing.
  • Options
    Just watched It’s a Sin. Incredible TV.  Very moving.