Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Right Hammerings

Comments

• Options
    A lot of therapy sessions needed on this thread! Lol
  • Options
    Remember most of the games mentioned was at the Rotherham and Luton home games but fortunately missed the Brighton and Burnley thrashing’s. One I also remember from about 1970 was 0-5 at home to Leicester. I think that was the first time I saw us get murdered at home. 2-5 against Sheffield United was grim... Pardew... enough said. 
  • Options
    Oxford 5 Charlton 0 in 1984 was a particularly sound thrashing. We were torn apart by them on their muddy pitch by the likes of John Aldridge, Billy Hamilton, Kevin Brock etc. 

Man City 5 Charlton 1 in the final game of the above season was another proper going over. 

I was at both games....and only got in at half-time in both games! 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Remember most of the games mentioned was at the Rotherham and Luton home games but fortunately missed the Brighton and Burnley thrashing’s. One I also remember from about 1970 was 0-5 at home to Leicester. I think that was the first time I saw us get murdered at home. 2-5 against Sheffield United was grim... Pardew... enough said. 
    Was that Pardew's last game?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    TEL said:
    Was that Pardew's last game?
    Yes, it was, however he wasn’t sacked until the following afternoon. IIRC
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Blimey. Somehow I’d completely wiped being at this game out of my memory. Reading the score line has brought that day back! 

Had to go and check the line up from that afternoon: 

Weaver, Moutaouakil, Primus, Hudson, Youga (Waghorn 52), Sam, Semedo, Bailey, Holland, Bouazza, Gray (Todorov 62). 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Oxford 5 Charlton 0 in 1984 was a particularly sound thrashing. We were torn apart by them on their muddy pitch by the likes of John Aldridge, Billy Hamilton, Kevin Brock etc. 

Man City 5 Charlton 1 in the final game of the above season was another proper going over. 

I was at both games....and only got in at half-time in both games! 
    It was bloody freezing at Oxford as well. I think we listened to the draw for the 4th round of the cup on the coach on the way home when we drew Spurs away which cheered everyone up.
  • Options
    Not Charlton related, but in Spain I support Deportivo La Coruña. For my 50th birthday, my family paid for a return flight to La Coruña and a decent ticket. A mate of mine and fellow Addick flew over and we made a day of it....until the 8pm kick off. It started a good open game and even at 2-0 down Depor still threatened to come back. However with 30 minutes remaining, it was an 8-0 thrashing (at home remember) and the only reason Barça didn't get double figures was they relaxed. 
    I was literally stunned - I've never seen a team I support get so badly humiliated. 
  • Options
    Nothing similar, but I was a nipper back in the seventies when Luton rocked up for a midweek game and beat us 5-1.  Given the 7-0 they also inflicted on us that decade, my feelings about Luton are pretty mixed. And that night I was on the East Terrace with my dad, and we had a bunch of Luton fans nearby, whose delight at what they were watching just made it even worse.
  • Options
    Aged about 16 (early 60s), the season opened on the day my parents and I were returning from a holiday on the Isle of Wight. I diverted to Southampton to watch them play Wolves. Wolves scored within 30 seconds, but Southampton went on to win 9-3. Martin Chivers scored 5 (?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What makes a hammering. 
    Is it five conceded as general rule ?

a 5-1 defeat yes but 4-0 no ? 
  • Options
    One game sticks in my mind, wasn’t a hammering of a score line, 3 nil lost at home, I think,  but Wigan at home bullied us off the pitch for the entire game,  they were massively tall , and physically a lot stronger than us , I think they went up that season and did quite well, could do with a midfield like that now to give Millwall a run for their money in the future!
  • Options
    As always with CAFC there are downs as well as ups. There are some shockers over the last fifty or so years. 1-5 at home to Luton - after being a goal up is particularly in the memory with a starting performance from John Aston with his crosses and the bloke from Blackpool who made a habit of scoring against us (5-0 to send us down at the beginning of the 70s. 6-1 away at Cardiff - the 7-1 or whatever it was at Burnley is particularly prominent since I was going out up town Top Ranking and when I got a late Evening News in town because they kept the scores up to date in numerous editions on a Saturday i was inconsolable. The 7 at Luton and Brighton also have particular resonance - but as I now know - it’s all part of the package.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    What makes a hammering. 
    Is it five conceded as general rule ?

a 5-1 defeat yes but 4-0 no ? 
    Unless your Southampton regular hammerings of 5 or more only come up now and again to most clubs.....I have been going since a small boy since 68 and was at Bristol 5-5,  Norwich 5-0, Luton 1-5 and Leeds 1-6. Apart from those other games mentioned the odd tonkings are rare.
  • Options
    One game sticks in my mind, wasn’t a hammering of a score line, 3 nil lost at home, I think,  but Wigan at home bullied us off the pitch for the entire game,  they were massively tall , and physically a lot stronger than us , I think they went up that season and did quite well, could do with a midfield like that now to give Millwall a run for their money in the future!
    Alex Gilbey was part of their midfield that game... 
  • Options
    I remember that game...how that wasn't a cricket score, I will never know totally out classed.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    TEL said:
    Blimey. Somehow I’d completely wiped being at this game out of my memory. Reading the score line has brought that day back! 

Weaver, Moutaouakil, Primus, Hudson, Youga (Waghorn 52), Sam, Semedo, Bailey, Holland, Bouazza, Gray (Todorov 62). 
    It was an evening match....Pardew said sarcastically that he would select his best team for the next game. Wanker. 
    It was a Saturday game, he was sacked before I had left the Oak after the game
    Sorry, you were right. My mind still remembers it as an evening match with flood lights on. 
    It was late November so the floodlights would have been on by half time.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7727279.stm
  • Options
    Biggest hammering I saw live was West Ham 8 Newcastle 1. I went with my Grandad. Alvin Martin scored a Hat trick and each goal was a against a different keeper....one being Peter Beardsley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great bench in that game, some serious raw talent there

Phillips, Konsa, Sarr, Aribo and Karlan.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    TEL said:

It was an evening match....Pardew said sarcastically that he would select his best team for the next game. Wanker. 
    It was a Saturday game, he was sacked before I had left the Oak after the game
    Sorry, you were right. My mind still remembers it as an evening match with flood lights on. 
    It was late November so the floodlights would have been on by half time.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7727279.stm
    Still annoying to be so wrong.  Last Friday I recognised a woman who was in front of me in the queue for the pharmacy,  who my sister went to school  with 60 years ago and she had a mask on ! I asked her and she remembered me and my sister. I am losing it. 
    Turns out it WAS your sister!
  • Options
    Mustn't forget our 8 nil over Stevenage
  • Options
    The biggest hammering I saw was when West Ham beat Sunderland 8-1 in 1965 or so.A friend of mine and his dad were from Sunderland. 
    Sorry it was 8-0
    My mate is a Sunderland fan and was at that match. He swears that Geoff Hurst punched the first goal in and if the ref had spotted it the hammering wouldn't have happened.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    I remember the 0-5 to Leicester too. My mate and I went for a beer before the match and then my car wouldn't start. By the time the AA fixed it we got to The Valley just before half time. What's the score? I hopefully asked the turnstile operator. 0-5 he replied but we still paid to go in. We drew the second half 0-0 but we probably wouldn't have scored if we had played all night as a certain Peter Shilton was in goal for Leicester.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That Luton defeat back in 77 still haunts me.

We hadn't been oop north long and as you can imagine Man U were rioting all over the country back then so as 15 year old in a new school in Stockport with a London accent I was treading carefully, weighing up the 'faces' in my year and above. I was gradually getting more confident and also very gobby by the day and days before that Luton game, I found out one of the schools top boys was a Luton fan (as well as Utd). He had never been to Luton but that was where his dad hailed from. 

Well, for the next few days I gave him so much shit, and the more I got away with it the more I gave out to the point the whole bloody school knew about this upcoming fixture and just about every kid and teacher were looking out for the result.

I did consider wagging it the monday but decided to face up, the next few weeks were pure torture! Still see that lad around now and he never fails to mention that bloody result! 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    An old boss of mine was at the 11-1 Villa game, he said that although our keeper went off, it was already 6-0 at the time. 

I've been to a few hidings, the day before the Brighton 7-0 I went to France to see the mighty Stranglers. I got home about 730 in the morning, had a couple of hours sleep then went off down there. Nowadays I'd think better of it, but I was young and stupid and went for it. Silly thing was we had a couple kicked off the line when it was 0-0, then the roof fell in. While other fans riot, when Charlton are losing 7-0 and you're on an open terrace getting drenched, the only option is the conga line. This was followed by an attempted pitch invasion when we won a corner. Happy days (well most of the time).

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Unless I'm going mad, one of the first away games I ever went to was at Loftus Road and we got panelled 5-0 or something. Sure it was an evening game, and everyone in the away end was still singing even though we got absolutely battered by what I think was a very good side 
  • Options
    Remember us losing 4-0 at home to Brighton in 2010 I think. I'm pretty sure they also scored with the same short corner routine twice. Only Charlton eh
  • Options
    Getting beat 4-0 at Loftus Road, our first time on the plastic and didn't know how to play it.

Think we lost 5-1 the following season.