Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas Sandgaard: We’ve now got one of best attacks in League One

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    He'll be told by Mumford and Roddy what’s happening, and they be advising accordingly I would guess 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I keep hearing this view that once our 2 centre back are fit, everything will be fine.  That may be true, but we're talking about 2 guys that have been out for months & are both injury prone (Ryan Inniss in particular appears to be made of glass).

I just don't see how these 2 guys are gonna fix everything & relying on them to save our season is unrealistic & unfair
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    TS at least has some realism and understands how difficult it has been for LB and Co. If he is prepared to stand by LB, whilst funding the club (and buying the women's section as well!), then we should as well. If we can make the top 6 then excellent, and we can have a go to try and get to Wembley again, if other clubs have a dip in form then we may do even better. To me this is TS talking to supporters and letting us know he has faith in LB! Perhaps now is the time to sit back and see what transpires, after all it's TS money that has saved the club and is building for the future. Perhaps we all need a little patience?
    I have no problem with that at all & I've said many times on here we aren't getting promoted this season & doubt we will get into the top 6. 

Maybe other posters can now also relax & let the season pan out rather than every week spouting how a play off place is almost guaranteed - especially once 2 centre halves return who have only played 5 times together  !

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Attack is part of our problem as we are scoring about as many as we are conceding. Even if we are conceding a lot, if we are scoring more we will be winning more games.

On paper, we do seem to have decent strikers. If we improve both areas by 10% then a run can be expected.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    This best attack in the league needs to start scoring goals then Thomas.
    We're 4th top scorers 39 goals
    We're 7'th on average goals scored per game. 1.5 goals

We've conceded the 9th most goals so far. 35 goals
    We're 16th in terms of average goals conceded per game. 1.35 per game

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like they’re all preparing for another year in league 1 to me
    Didn’t Sandgaard say quite early on something like this season was see how well we do and next season we’ll go for promotion. I may have remembered the quote incorrectly, but it was something alone those lines. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Tbf we were the highest scorers in the league a week ago and still might be
    Might be because we have played more games than virtually everyone else.

Accrington have 4 games in hand & in their last game hit 6 past Bristol Rovers (against who we only managed to score 1). Let's take another look when everyones played 30 games.

We'll have played 36 by then no doubt. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We're 4th top scorers, but we're 9th top in terms of conceding the most. We're 7'th on average goals scored per game...

But the "attack" (which TS mentioned) has just shaded half those goals, early season it was lots of different scorers getting them. As things stand Ronnie has the same amount of goals as the Newport goalkeeper.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We're 4th top scorers, but we're 9th top in terms of conceding the most. We're 7'th on average goals scored per game...

But the "attack" (which TS mentioned) has just shaded half those goals, early season it was lots of different scorers getting them. As things stand Ronnie has the same amount of goals as the Newport goalkeeper.
    LMAO Interesting comparison! He's their sub keeper too! 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Bringing in 2 attacking players, and an attacking player on the right would naturally make one highlight the strength of this. If the team works together there will be lots of goals, they are really good players to add to the squad.
    This year is a building year, but if we get a good run in the playoffs are possible. What an ending that would be after last year.
    If it does not happen then the building blocks are in place for next year.
    TS seems to be in this for the long term. He is such a positive and steady influence. Keep the faith with the players, management team and the owner. Success will come.
    I'm loving this new era of Charlton, so much potential. If this was easy and predictable why would we all bother?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    And one of the shittest defences! 😉
    No we haven’t, the heart of it is still on the injury list!
    And have never played more than 22 games and 10 games in a season each.  

How may games was it reasonable to expect them to manage this season? 
  • Options
    To be fair to Ronnie, he is a fox in the box player who isn't getting the service at the moment.
    100%, that is why I will be dissapointed if DJ & Millar do not start tomorrow.
    I'd like to see Aneke and Stockley start and hopefully we have a lead which will open them up a bit which would suit Schwartz. Millar has to start. 
  • Options
    Undoubtedly TS will have some patience. I trust in his judgment. It’s all about how Bowyer performs. So let’s see how that pans out. Whatever happens we know that TS will make the right decision for Charlton and his bank balance. Over to you Lee. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Just had a check and by this point in our last league 1 campaign we had scored 42 goals compared to the current 39. So attacking wise despite us saying we don't do enough we aren't far off, which also makes me remember how many games we did look poor that season and could fluke results a bit. 

Anyway I really am grateful for our owner reading that, comes across really well and we are undoubtedly going to climb the leagues again at some point 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    If we only manage to concede 5 more all season then we might match our 40 GC total from 18/19 

Can we score another 34 goals to match our promotion season? I actually think that should be possible if the attack is really better. 

Otherwise on current GPG we will finish on 69 goals. In fact I think if we only concede 5 and score 30 I'd be very happy with the tally.
  • Options
    Saying “we’ve now got one of the best attacks in the league” sounds to me like a way of saying let’s see some attacking football.
    How does this supposed negative football square with the fact that we are the league's third highest goalscorers (39 goals) behind only Hull (41) and Portsmouth (40)?
  • Options
    Saying “we’ve now got one of the best attacks in the league” sounds to me like a way of saying let’s see some attacking football.
    How does this supposed negative football square with the fact that we are the league's third highest goalscorers (39 goals) behind only Hull (41) and Portsmouth (40)?
    Because we have played more games than almost everyone else? 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    4th. Rochdale have scored 40 too. 

Our Goals per game as explained already is 1.5 which matches Peterborough in 7th & 8th. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Because we have played more games than almost everyone else? 
    We are ten goals behind Luton's high scoring team from two seasons ago (our promotion side was 7 behind at this stage), considering a lot of their goals were scored in a span of 3-4 games it's not bad going from us when you consider how much time this team has had together compared to that Luton side that got promoted together. Defense has 100% been the issue. Had players not made errors and we didn't have so many defensive injuries a lot of our games we would have probably closed out or at least got draws and there probably wouldn't even be a debate about our style cause we would be sitting happier near the top.

Shoulda woulda coulda though, but it's fine margins 
  • Options
    Trouble is Lee "flexable" Bowyer is eyeing up left and right back slots for them...
  • Options
    I don't think it is a case of not doing enough per se. It is more not doing better than we are doing defensively.