Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley Pitch

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Any of our budding Wincey Willis' care to change their forecasts from earlier in the week on this one?
    I think the warmth of the soil will play a major role.  It was very noticeable today how fast our snow was melting despite the air temperature staying below freezing.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Off_it said:
    Any of our budding Wincey Willis' care to change their forecasts from earlier in the week on this one?
    What is your prediction as to whether the game will go ahead?
    Well, I reckon it will be perfectly playable by the standards of, say, 10 years ago and beyond. But these days it seems it doesn't take much for refs to call off games. So let's hope a fox doesn't piss in the goalmouth overnight or something trivial.

But the real point is that on Monday/Tuesday it was impossible to say whether the game was "definitely off", but that doesn't stop people. I just find it funny how some people can be so definite about something they can have no possible means of knowing.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Well, I reckon it will be perfectly playable by the standards of, say, 10 years ago and beyond. But these days it seems it doesn't take much for refs to call off games. So let's hope a fox doesn't piss in the goalmouth overnight or something trivial.

But the real point is that on Monday/Tuesday it was impossible to say whether the game was "definitely off", but that doesn't stop people. I just find it funny how some people can be so definite about something they can have no possible means of knowing.
    I'm wondering if you're talking about CL or elsewhere?
    I'm not aware of anyone saying the game will definitely be off, just discussing matters sensibly on  a forum.
    Although there was one single comment about all london games without undersoil heating being off.

Comments of doubt by those that looked at the weather forecast appear to be valid to me, as we still have a doubt 3/4 days later as you have just confirmed.
  • Options
    -4 tonight at The Valley, not rising above zero before ko.
  • Options

Google tells me:

In the winter, soil temperatures tend to be higher than air temperatures. 
    Soil can hold heat better than air does. It is also insulated by soil above it, vegetation, and snow. 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I'm wondering if you're talking about CL or elsewhere?
    I'm not aware of anyone saying the game will definitely be off, just discussing matters sensibly on  a forum.
    Although there was one single comment about all london games without undersoil heating being off.

Comments of doubt by those that looked at the weather forecast appear to be valid to me, as we still have a doubt 3/4 days later as you have just confirmed.
    Especially as we have had a game called off not that long ago for a frozen pitch, and the club did say that The Valley being in a dip is extra cold
  • Options
    • Rotherham UnitedPQueens Park RangersP
      Match postponed - Frozen Pitch
    • Sheffield WednesdayPSwansea CityP
    • BlackpoolPPeterborough UnitedPMatch postponed - Frozen Pitch
    • Crewe AlexandraPPortsmouthPMatch postponed - Frozen Pitch
    • Bradford CityPSalford CityP
    • Carlisle UnitedPCrawley TownP
    • Match postponed - Frozen Pitch
    • Forest Green RoversPBarrowP
    • Grimsby TownPTranmere RoversP
    • Harrogate TownPLeyton OrientP
    • MorecambePScunthorpe UnitedP
    • Port ValePNewport CountyP
  • Options
    They don’t call it the frozen North for nothing 🥶.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seem to remember a game being called off not that long ago because the strip along the East stand was deemed unplayable - for the linesman?
  • Options
    I’ve just checked the ground in my back yard and it’s like concrete, but then it was -41degC here a few nights ago. 
  • Options
    I think there are a few posts above about the replacement of grass on the touch lines with Astro. Not sure how much that helps tbf.
  • Options
    I think it’s touch and go,... if we end winning and have to celebrate accordingly I think there is going to have to be a frozen custard inspection at around 4pm. 
  • Options
    I would be pretty surprised if today’s match is going ahead 
  • Options
    i think the sun will be a big factor - temperatures are taken in the shade
  • Options
    Clear blue sky at the moment with the sun coming out.
    Still quite hopefull the game will go ahead 
  • Options
    Seems like it’s gonna take a miracle with temps not going above freezing.

play it tomorrow?
  • Options
    My garden is totally frozen now. All down to the performance of the pitch covers I reckon. Keeping fingers crossed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AFC Wimbledon game has been called off 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i think the sun will be a big factor - temperatures are taken in the shade
    Unfortunately, not all of the pitch is in the sun.

• Options
    I'm in SE13 and it's very sunny at the moment.
  • Options
    I presume Gillingham will be on their way soon. They will probably want to tell them if the game is likely not to go ahead before they leave.
  • Options
    Given the current temperatures, I suppose they may be leaving the removal of the covers to the last minute. 
  • Options
    Match preview posted on the CAFC twitter account at 11.00am, so looks positive. Temperature forecast is less cold by 3pm...